PDA

View Full Version : Gastrscopy: reassurance story it's easy

Tilly Travels
26-01-16, 12:05
Hi all,

I posted two days ago regarding my fear of having a gastroscopy and I wanted to post a follow up to reassure anyone going to have one done.

I was a nervous wreck for days before, I read all the stories on here - it is very different for everyone but in my case it was really easy.

I explained to the nurse and dr that I had anxiety ad they were very caring. I had opted for sedation and was worried I'd be lying there awake and not able to explain I was having a panic attack. In fact the worst part was that my veins were rejecting the canula and so it took four attempts to get one in!!

I walked into the theatre, hopped on the bed in my own clothes, they put the oxygen on, attached a heart monitor to my finger and sprayed my throat, the dr was cracking jokes about how bad it tasted, I got 6 squirts and my throat was completely numbed. The nurse asked me to lie on my side and they gave me the sedative, she was talking the whole time and then put the mouth guard in. At this point they have me more sedative and then asked if I was ready. The endoscope went in easy, no gagging, I was awake the whole time. The only bit of discomfort I had was when they put some air in my stomach but I was only mildly aware of it.

It was over in 5 minutes and it felt much quicker, I was so comfortable I could have easily done another half hour like that. Didn't feel it come back out, the nurse was stroking my hair throughout and was very encouraging.

I was then taken to recovery and stayed awake, some people slept but I had a cuppa a biscuit and was discharged. My mum took me home, I stopped at the shops and got some treats and then ate a curry with my husband who had got home from work (my appointment was at 6:50pm)

Spoke to my best friend on the phone, wrote my journal, watched a bit of tv then had a 9 hour sleep!!

Woke up feeling completely normal and have given myself the day off to relax today.

It really is not bad at all, ill have no fear getting it done again. The worst bit was how thirsty I was before hand!!

Please do not worry like I did about this, I've had worst trips to the dentist there is no pain at all.

Hope this helps anyone who is worried or has anxiety about the procedure. :yesyes::yesyes:

KayeS
26-01-16, 16:38
Well done for getting through it so well! Had the same experience at the beginning of the year but was even too scared to have the sedation lol but still was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Glad it's all over and done with and you can relax now! :)