PDA

View Full Version : Health professional with health anxiety

Ninelives
26-01-16, 22:14
I would really like some support. I am a highly qualified health professional suffering the secret burden of health anxiety. I feel ridiculous and find it really hard to seek help with my anxiety or when I want to see someone about my symptoms in case they think I am wasting time. I suffer in silence and don't go more than a few days free of worry. When one worry stops as if by magic another one starts, why is this??
My sister suffers the same and I can talk to her but no one else.
I feel that I am going to die any time ( I don't know why !) and constantly worry about my 3 children being ill or me leaving them. My husband isn't very sympathetic and does not know the extent of my problem.
I even worry that something will happen to me eventually as I can't worry and none of it ever come true, can anyone identify with this ?
Some advice would really help.

Gary A
26-01-16, 22:41
Do you mind me asking which field of medicine you work in?

PlantsForHire
26-01-16, 22:58
I would really like some support. I am a highly qualified health professional suffering the secret burden of health anxiety. I feel ridiculous and find it really hard to seek help with my anxiety or when I want to see someone about my symptoms in case they think I am wasting time. I suffer in silence and don't go more than a few days free of worry. When one worry stops as if by magic another one starts, why is this??
My sister suffers the same and I can talk to her but no one else.
I feel that I am going to die any time ( I don't know why !) and constantly worry about my 3 children being ill or me leaving them. My husband isn't very sympathetic and does not know the extent of my problem.
I even worry that something will happen to me eventually as I can't worry and none of it ever come true, can anyone identify with this ?
Some advice would really help.

I read online a while back that health anxiety is most prevalent in students attending med school so you are definitely not alone. I'm sure there is someone to reach out to for help and there are tons of resources like this forum, works by Claire Weekes (I highly recommend reading Hope and Help for Your Nerves - it has the potential to 'cure' you if you follow its instruction diligently), and getting counseling.

Hope this helps! Many of us on here have been suffering through HA for a long time so we have our coping mechanisms. Feel free to ask any questions.

Blonde123
28-01-16, 22:20
Yes that's the same as me. I've even turned down a big promotion this week because it's a shift to diagnosing patients and I don't want the added knowledge that job brings because it will feed into my anxiety. I have a habit of projecting my patients illness onto myself. I'm a nurse, also highly qualified to masters level and no one knows about my anxiety.

swgrl09
28-01-16, 23:33
I'm a masters level licensed therapist and I have anxiety and depression ... Talk about weird! There's lots of us out there and you are not alone!

MyNameIsTerry
29-01-16, 05:11
I'm a masters level licensed therapist and I have anxiety and depression ... Talk about weird! There's lots of us out there and you are not alone!

But is it? It would seem logical that more soldiers have PTSD than roles involving less traumatic experience.

It seems to me that HA is just one of the newer "occupational hazards" that have formed in the sector due to the pressures you are all under - and who can argue you are not under immense daily pressure?

Shazamataz
29-01-16, 07:10
Oh, I can relate! I work in mental health supporting people in the community and now I'm off work 3 months so far and have basically turned into one of my clients. I'm only just getting psychiatric help (not just GP) next week as I didn't want to have to see anyone in 'the system' since I know many of them. In fact when I spoke to the mental health team during the week I ended up getting the social worker who I have worked with most regularly with my clients. Surprisingly I was actually glad it was him as he's a nice man and I didn't feel judged. That said, I think I'm going to have to change my field of work as don;t see myself being able to go back.

dizzy daisy
29-01-16, 17:20
I work in the NHS too although non clinical - I have always worked within. Clinical teams. I've worked for mental health and acute trusts and let me assure you plenty of staff from both fields and from the very top to the very bottom suffer with this. You're not alone, and I think terry is right, lots of pressure at work just adds to stress and exacerbates the situation. Do you have a good occ health dept? You can usually access counselling via them. I know from experience that lots of staff, particularly consultants/ directors are nervous to approach occ health but everything is entirely confidential and they can even refer you to another trust if that's easier. Xxxx