PDA

View Full Version : Panic and Despair

art_james
26-02-07, 16:54
Hi, all another newbie here. Not so new to panic though. I awoke on Saturday to a panic attack for the first time in a number of years (first 5 years ago, last 3). I suppose I should have seen it comming...recently splitting up with my girlfriend, moving in to a place (leaving behind cat!), un settled, stressful job, boozy friends, not eating well or excercising. Yep, I suppose I should have seen it coming.

It's really hit me hard this time. Mainly because I thought I was over it. I spent the whole weekend in floods of tears and despair because of it's return (last time i had it , had had one long six month panic attack that and then ocd). I felt helpless. I'm fortunate in as much as I have friends and family that understand and try to help.

I can deal with the actual physical symptoms of the panic attack itself, but what i find unbearable is that when i have a panic attack i feel utterly isolated, alone and hopeless - a real dark void. This obviously goes when the PA does, but it's such a traumatic experience i can't quite get over it.

So my question is this: Is this a normal part of PA's? Does this happen to others? And if so, how do you 'ride out' looking in to the abyss?

Ta,

James

kimmy
26-02-07, 18:05
Hi
If you can try to think positive.......you over come it before.....you can again!!

IzzyB
27-02-07, 10:35
Hi James
I'm here in similar circumstances to you; i.e. suffered several years ago but been right as rain since... until now!
I can also relate to the "seeing it coming" that you described. I was feeling like a crab without a shell for several months, and things made me jump all the time, motorbikes whooshing up beside the car and people at work coming up behind me whilst I was on the phone are worst.
After a panic attack or heightened anxiety I feel awful afterwards, mainly because I am so disppointed that the feelings have happened. Then it is hard to get out of the circle of negative thoughts that follow.
For me, talking helps so much - even just a chat on the phone (to someone who knows about the situation) until I start to feel calmer. The person I am chatting to will get me to visualise a happy place where I feel comfortable and then I describe it to them in detail. It really works, and I did this last night and had a good night's sleep (eventually, as was feeling extremely anxious at 2am). I knew that by pushing myself to go in to work this morning would not be wise since I although I am calm, I'm still susceptible to panic after a nasty incident in Asda yesterday evening. I think giving yourself time to rest is crucial, and even though it is advised that we do not allow our anxiety to interfere with day-to-day life, sometimes there is a time when you just need to have some "me" time.
Good luck James, I'm sure you can overcome this. You already have once, so you can do it again. Rest, nurture and good nutrition will all help.

xx

art_james
27-02-07, 11:08
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I took it onboard last night, went to the gym, bought some Rescue Remedy, cooked a nice meal but by bedtime i started to feel a little nervous. However, I decided to allow it to happen. Not be scared of the panic...as odd as it sounds: try to actually enjoy it. And it really worked! It took a while to get to sleep, but there was no despair or irrational fear of the future.

I really like the "like a cold idea", that really helps too. I'm getting on top of this.

The OCD thing (no compulsions, just horrid flash thoughts) seems to have reared it's little head again, but i'm going to teach myself not to be scared of that too. I'm a very caring a gentle person, so i know that just the panic, the ocd is not real and just the mind trying to find different ways to scare me.