PDA

View Full Version : Polyp on Cervix - anyone?

dee_gril
28-01-16, 04:59
Hi all, I just posted about my boob loop concerns and am going to the breast clinic tomorrow after suggestion by my GP.

During my visit to my GP I was also in for a PAP smear. During the smear she found a polyp and said it was quite large (she noted 1cm in the referral). She said mine was a white-ish coloured one and 1 cm does sound quite large indeed. She continued with the PAP but she made me bleed quite a bit. I've never bled so much with a PAP before (though the last time I had one was 3 years ago and everything looked healthy and fine then!). I am so concerned that I have more where I can't see them and I am worried that it is something nasty even though I know I read that the vast majority of them are benign. I have this unshakable feeling that I am abnormal somehow and it is making me very anxious and depressed (plus the stress about going to the breast clinic tomorrow).

Anyway my doctor didn't seem concerned and gave me a referral through public health system for removal and said the wait could take up to 12 months! I guess that's a good sign seeing as I have no symptoms and did not even realise it was there! I thought I was fine during and after the appointment about this discovery but slowly my crazy HA brain came back to haunt me. I have no relief!

So now I am scheduled to see a private Gynecologist on the 8th of February and I am thinking based on that appointment would they want to send me for a scan? Wait for results, and then schedule removal ... it sounds like this will take forever and my partner told me to stop thinking about what if's until i have seen the gynecologist. But I can't. How do people do that?!

Well a part of me won't let it go that there is something abnormal with me. Like who gets these polyps? They say it is common but 4% of women especially women who have had a few children will get them but I have never been pregnant and I am 37 (o.k close enough to 40 I guess). So i feel like an oddity and abnormal.

Also I have previously been diagnosed through a transvaginal ultrasound with PCO - many many too many little cysts in both ovaries to count and irregular (sometimes highly irregular) periods that have at times not shown itself for close to a year. However I don't seem to have other symptoms of PCOS (e.g. I am skinny, I am not overly hairy at all and as far as i know I am not insulin resistant) so I am never sure what is going on with me. My hormones are all over the place. I also had in my last ultrasound two years ago and there was an increased number of these tiny cysts plus two tiny fibroids. So now I am just terrified that if they do more investigations they will find more things 'weird, wrong' with me and I ask myself why I am so different from others?!? I wonder if this is the heart of my health anxiety - that I think that there is something inherently not right about myself.

Regardless I am so stressed about the wait, about the possible procedures (I heard the words possible hysteroscopy and that sounds SO invasive and painful) and the results. I wake up every morning fearful and the rest of the day fearful.

Has anyone had cervical polyps as big as mine ... and does that mean I will will have polyps elsewhere like in my uterus? :( :(

Arietis
28-01-16, 13:41
Hi Dee,

im 29 and had abnormal smears since I was 21, Ive had my cervix cauterised to remove bad (CIN3) cells. They also discovered a Polyp 2 years ago and sent me to urgent gyne (2 week wait) but the gyne who had a look said its perfectly normal and quite common. I have no idea how big mine is (they never said).

xxx

dee_gril
29-01-16, 01:37
Hi Arietis

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have :( Did the gynecologist arrange for you to have the polyp removed? My GP did not seem fussed and sent for a non urgent referral for removal (12 months!). I am seeing a private gynecologist in just over a week because it started playing on my mind.

Do you still have your polyp? Have you also had children because it says women who have given birth tend to have them ...

Thank you for responding.