PDA

View Full Version : breathlessness

John_Daryl
28-01-16, 10:40
I'm not panting, breathing faster or deeper. But I feel as though I'm just not getting any air, and is if there's no oxygen in the air in breathing. I'm not sure what's causing this but it makes me feel extremely uneasy and as though I'm just going to stop breathing. I can't get a sooner appointment with my doctor that Tuesday and I'm not sure I can wait that long. Initially I was only experiencing this when I was at home as I was distracted at work. But now I'm experiencing it throughout the morning today and I cant help it feel absolutely helpless.

nirvanainchains
28-01-16, 11:30
Are you a smoker? Lack of exercise/activity? It’s common for anxiety sufferers.

John_Daryl
28-01-16, 11:40
Non smoker, quite sedentary in terms of excercise, especially the last year. The more I focus on it the worse it gets. When I'm up on my feet and moving around I'm perfectly fine.

Amani
28-01-16, 12:11
How long has this been going on for? It sounds like a result of Dysfunctional Breathing (common with people with anxiety). Look up breathing exercises for Dysfunctional Breathing, they should help.

John_Daryl
28-01-16, 14:18
Only a few days and its on and off

John_Daryl
29-01-16, 07:54
So last night I wasn't aware ofmy breathing until I got in bed as I was busy doing other things. Woke up this morning and it continued pretty much within minutes of waking up. I'm not breathing deeper or faster, I just have this uncomfortable feeling that I'm not collecting enough oxygen

Shazamataz
29-01-16, 08:00
I have that too. I am a smoker but the doctor says my lungs are clear but I often feel like I'm suffocating. Like you it's only when I'm not doing anything. I've been waking in the early hours lately and not being able to go back to sleep as I feel like I'm suffocating.

I'd say it's anxiety related for you but just in case have you been checked for asthma? People can develop it at any age and it's no big deal.

Hope this improves for you.

John_Daryl
29-01-16, 08:11
Yeh I had a bad reation to my mums cat a few weeks ago and since then iv been overly panicking about my breathing. From what iv read breathlessness is more than just the perspective of lack of oxygen its the need to breathe deeper/ faster. I just take one deeper breathe every now and again along with a cough as it seems to temporarily relieve my problem.