PDA

View Full Version : Fainted and banged my head

Mudskipper
28-01-16, 10:59
So less than two days after getting reassurance on my last issue, along comes the next. Went to bed last Friday night feeling feverish and shaking, typical bug really, then woke up around 6 in the morning needing the bathroom. Felt woozy as hell but managed the toilet then went next door to the kitchen for some paracetamol. Next thing I know I'm coming round from a faint, flat on my back with a nasty lump on the side of my head and the wife standing over me. I crawled back into bed and stayed there all day. The lump went down but I've been dealing with the bug symptoms and vertigo ever since. Probably should have gone to casualty but I managed to get myself checked out by a doctor yesterday evening. She didn't think I'd done any major damage but advised me to watch out for a number of symptoms which could suggest a subdural haematoma or haemorrhage. Now I'm convinced I've got a ticking bomb in my head and I'm anxious as hell as well as having all the bug symptoms making me feel rough. Just to add to it, if I put my finger on the bruise area and pull, it results in a strange stretching feeling right on top of my head and well away from the site of the injury. Really can't figure that at all but it's got me freaked as hell.

Anyone else had experience of head injuries? :scared15:

debs71
28-01-16, 11:52
Hi,

What a horrible experience.

I would think that you need not worry about your head injury and any haematoma or bleed. It has been nearly a week since you had the faint and the period to be watchful for is 2-4 hours post-injury, 24 hours approx max. You are well past that point, and if you had an intracranial bleed you would probably know it by now, and not be here typing on NMP!

I am no doctor, but I am not sure why they said that to you about watching for 'haematoma/haemorrhage signs?' Seems a bit unnecessarily scaring someone to me.:shrug: We kept kids 24 hours max after a head injury....more often than not they went home after 4.

You would be very ill with a subdural haematoma/bleed.

I think maybe being under the weather on top of all this isn't helping. Try if you can to focus on resting and getting better from your bug.

Mudskipper
31-01-16, 17:09
Thanks for the response, been offline for a few days. No further problems from the bang yet, apart from an odd feeling in the scalp which I think could be due to the bruising. Still feeling a bit low from the bug and general SAD issues but I have another doctors appointment in a week or so, so I can run it all past him then.

shirlp
01-02-16, 20:00
Hope your head is feeling better now??. Had to comment on this because my main fear is a bleed on the brain.. A couple of years ago I went to the drs because of headaches and the Dr told me what I'd feel if that happened.. Anxiety is back, and thats what I panic about now. Grrr

Mudskipper
02-02-16, 21:45
It's a lot better, thanks. Still got a bit of a bruise but the vertigo has given over and the bug has just about run its course. Must admit I still worry about the brain bleed business and I can't help wondering how long it is before any additional risk from this little episode 'evens out'. Have to run it past the doctor when I see him.:huh:

shirlp
03-02-16, 14:04
I been today with my head problems, it's all been put down to sinuses. But I'm to go bk if antibiotics don't help. Glad ur feeling better