PDA

View Full Version : Liver Worries

citygirl1
28-01-16, 13:24
So today i went to get my bloods done. I have been fretting for a while now about having serious problems with my liver. I don't drink every day but have been a weekend drinker (2 days) for a good number of years. Symptoms that i have been experiencing are back/abdominal pain on right side, tiredness, dry eyes.

Around 2-3 years ago i had a CT and MRI done on my abdomen and everything came back normal with the exception of them finding a cyst. No further action was required. I have also been told i am borderline for underactive thyroid as i have a gene that attacks my thyroid, so this is being tested too.

I'm just really worried that the tests are going to come back saying i have really serious liver problems because of this abdominal discomfort i've been feeling. Dr Google has not been helping aswell. I have been under a fair bit of stress over the past few months as i'm in the middle of moving house, my husband has been working away a lot and i have a 4 year old to look after, and i work full time too. I guess i will find out early next week, going to be a long weekend i think. :weep:

jobber
28-01-16, 14:28
Well your liver can take quite a lot of punishment before getting damaged.

You don't seem to drink in excess and your tests came back normal.

I had high liver enzymes in the past, got worried a lot over it until an ultrasound came back clear. You have to trust the tests you had.

citygirl1
28-01-16, 14:38
No i just got blood taken today.

jobber
28-01-16, 15:03
Yeah but your CT and MRI were clear few years ago, that's good.

androidz
28-01-16, 15:06
If I had to get worried everytime I have a symptom of potential liver disease I would go insane.

Your symptoms are not really specific symptoms. For example I get red hand palms sometimes when I drink alcohol, also called palmar erythema. This has been going for years and I'm fine.

Don't worry anymore. Congrats on your clean results.

citygirl1
28-01-16, 15:18
I know. I guess i'm just worrying that things have maybe changed since my last scans 2-3 years ago. Should get my liver enzyme results early next week so hoping they are ok and its more they thyroid thing thats causing my symptoms.

Lifelonganxiety!
28-01-16, 21:30
I drink more often than you do and get some pains in liver area, dry eyes and tired. Oops. Had bloods and ultrasound last year. I was diagnosed with a fatty liver which isn't the end of the world but it's a warning sign.

I am really trying to cut back on the booze now, my energy has started to improve and my eyes aren't as bad. Still get some pains, but I think it can all recover...

Anyway, long story short just be sensible about your drinking. It doesn't sound like you have a drinking problem so you're probably fine and anxiety is causing a lot of symptoms, or making minor ones feel worse.

citygirl1
28-01-16, 22:03
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see what bloods say. Just really worried. Have already cut down and not had a drink in a few weeks. Getting to stage I'm actually scared to drink for fear of pain.

citygirl1
29-01-16, 20:43
Feeling really scared and overwhelmed tonight. Still sore on my right side and so scared it's something awful.

Lifelonganxiety!
29-01-16, 23:11
IBS? Do you slouch a lot at work? Could be muscular. Maybe gas - try taking something for that.

So many things it's more likely to be before you should worry.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 00:50
Hi I know how you feel I'm currently having discomfort on my right side 2 Drs and 2 nurses have told me it's pulled muscles but I still can't accept that. The last dr I saw was 100% it's not my liver but I'm scared it might be and have to wait two weeks before I can have a blood test.

What sort of pain are you having? Mine is right on my last rib right side sometimes feels like cramp sometimes feels like I have a tennis ball under my ribs I find a hot water bottle is amazing and walking makes it go away for a little while. It's scary I know and our bodies don't help when we feel like this mines made me believe I'm itching now which is a sign of liver problems but I have to remember that's the last thing the dr said to me so my mind is playing on that.

Your not alone it's scary

citygirl1
30-01-16, 10:02
I work at a computer most days yeah. I just want to get to the root of what's causing this pain, but scared to find out too if that makes any sense at all!

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Baked beans rule

It's like a toothache, dull pain I feel. Radiates around my back and down my leg. I've also noticed I'm itching more but not sure if that's my anxiety noticing it or not. Just feel really scared that my bloods are going to come back with liver problems. I will probably get results of bloods on Monday or Tuesday but that feels like an eternity away.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 11:50
Bless you I know that feeling you just want the pain to go away and start to feel better I'm there with you! I'm struggling a bit today didn't sleep well last night and trying to keep busy but feeling exhausted then anxious about why I'm feeling so tired. I hope your weekend goes fast and you get the results you want

honeybun44
30-01-16, 13:56
A few years ago, I had right side pain that brought me to my knees. It was horrible.

I finally went to the ER. My liver enzymes were over 2000. Yes, you read that right.

I had every test done known to man, but they could find nothing. My enzymes slowly returned to normal on their own.

I had my gall bladder out at 16, but from what I"ve been told, you can still produce and pass "sludge". That is the only rationale the doctors can think of for what happened to me.

My point is, the liver enzymes can be alarmingly high, and yes, it can be bad, but it also may not be. The liver is surprisingly resilient. I'd like to say this incident helped me with my health anxiety but I still worry terribly whenever I have my enzymes checked. Just part of who we are, I guess. My point is, try to relax. It's likely your pain is due to something else. :)

citygirl1
30-01-16, 14:45
Thanks very much for replying. I'm just assuming that because all the pain is around the liver area, then naturally there has to be a problem with my liver. It's such a dull horrible ache. My liver enzymes have never came back high, but worried they might this time. It's just a horrible wait.

citygirl1
01-02-16, 20:05
So called Dr's today to see if blood results were back and receptionist said they were, but the Dr still has to look at them. Kinda panicking even more now. Got appt tomorrow afternoon.