PDA

View Full Version : Burn Worries

shilling
28-01-16, 18:52
Hi guys,

I burned myself badly about a week and a half ago. I went to see a nurse 3 days after it happened and she dressed it and cleaned it etc. It was red and swollen then so I was worried it was infected but she said it looked fine. I went again to have the dressing changed 2 days later with a different nurse, again this Monday just gone and then once more today (they've been thorough!). When I saw it today, although it's not red and swollen anymore it does look pretty gross. This nurse didn't seem worried either and just cleaned it and redressed it, but I've felt dizzy all day and can't stop thinking that maybe it's infected and I am getting sepsis!!

I've tried to tell myself that 4 different nurses can't be wrong, and that the dizziness is probably just anxiety but my brain is annoying.

Has anyone else had any experiences with healing burns? It looked a bit gooey and slightly pus-y in places which I thought was bad but she said it was ok...

Worrywonka
29-01-16, 00:27
Burns need oxygen. Make sure its not wrapped too long. When i was a baby i got burned on my arm from hot coffee.. Doc had it wrapped so my parents took me to another doc to check up on it. And he told them to remove the wrap.. Skin on my arm needed to breath to heAl properly.. Inquire with ur doctor how long it should be wrapped.

MyNameIsTerry
29-01-16, 05:23
I would suggest speaking to your GP.

The nurses should be correct and given it is 4 I would hope they are. In terms of the wrapping issue Worrywonka mentioned though, my GF had to dress a bandage a district nurse tied too tightly that caused problems for the elderly lady who was vulnerable. But this was the mistake of 1 nurse, not 4. Your GP could easily check it for you.

Doesn't it depend on the type of burn when it comes to wrapping?

shilling
29-01-16, 12:29
It's was only wrapped for a couple of days - they just keep putting different dressings on now, kinda like waterproof plasters but not. I feel ultra anxious today so I think that may be why I'm feeling dizzy. Its also extremely hard to get an appointment with my doctor. :/ 4 weeks wait!!