PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for things to develop? (Heart anxiety)

PlantsForHire
28-01-16, 21:42
Just some background: I'm a 17 year old male, very skinny, exercise, eat beyond healthy (vegetarian). I have no family history of any heart related problems. Only migraines, cancer, and eye problems.

After a severe dehydration spell during July of last year, I was sent to the emergency room because I was having chest pain and elevated BP (140/76). I had an ECG, echocardiogram, and chest x-ray that all came back perfect. I had 2 followups with a cardiologist who said I am clear to do any physical activities on a cardiovascular basis and am very healthy in that region.

I then had a followup with my doctor after the cardiologist and he diagnosed me with GAD and health anxiety. He said all the sensations were due to tension. (YAY! I thought)

But that was 5-6 months ago and my anxiety has been flaring up again these past few months.

Can someone knock some sense into me? I feel like it's very foolish to have thoughts that something has come up... but that's what anxiety does to you. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Thanks nomorepanic community for all that you do! :D

Fishmanpa
28-01-16, 21:54
First off, I have kids older than you! My youngest suffers from anxiety and depression. She came to me and I, along with her mother (we're divorced), made sure she got help. She's in therapy, takes meds and is now doing great!

At 17, you're too young to be consumed and help captive by anxiety. I don't know your family situation but if possible I would go to your parents and have a sit down. Hopefully they can help you get the proper help. I happen to have real physical issues (two heart attacks and cancer survivor) that can put me six feet under. Worrying about things like heart disease at 17 is doing that to you above ground.

Consider yourself cyber slapped upside the head! ;)

Positive thoughts

LilGsMama
28-01-16, 21:58
Good words again, Fishmanpa :D

PlantsForHire
28-01-16, 22:03
First off, I have kids older than you! My youngest suffers from anxiety and depression. She came to me and I, along with her mother (we're divorced), made sure she got help. She's in therapy, takes meds and is now doing great!

At 17, you're too young to be consumed and help captive by anxiety. I don't know your family situation but if possible I would go to your parents and have a sit down. Hopefully they can help you get the proper help. I happen to have real physical issues (two heart attacks and cancer survivor) that can put me six feet under. Worrying about things like heart disease at 17 is doing that to you above ground.

Consider yourself cyber slapped upside the head! ;)

Positive thoughts

Thank you so much for your post, Fishmanpa. I have read your story on other threads and I have utmost respect for you and your courage.

I am very close to my parents and they are very supportive of everything I do and I have broken down in front of them numerous times. I'm getting a physical checkup next week and getting a referral for a therapist.

I believe that I can get through this just like your daughter. Hopefully I realize soon that nothing developed in that time period and fully recover from there.

I feel like I should be enjoying my life at my age but anxiety is holding me back. I can't wait to get through this! Thanks again.

Fishmanpa
28-01-16, 22:14
Thank you so much for your post, Fishmanpa. I have read your story on other threads and I have utmost respect for you and your courage.

I am very close to my parents and they are very supportive of everything I do and I have broken down in front of them numerous times. I'm getting a physical checkup next week and getting a referral for a therapist.

I believe that I can get through this just like your daughter. Hopefully I realize soon that nothing developed in that time period and fully recover from there.

I feel like I should be enjoying my life at my age but anxiety is holding me back. I can't wait to get through this! Thanks again.

Good for you! You can do this!

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
29-01-16, 09:49
As you have had an ecg of your heart then you can very reassured as this is the standard test for young people who could have inherited heart problems.

Dehydration would have had alot of effects on your body at the time and its good there were no long term effects.

I started with health anxiety as a child and its dominated my life and now with age I realise just how much it took over my life, I remember events not by the event in my life but by what I was worrying about health wise at that time and that is so very sad. Please do all you can to kick HA so you won't be like I am now in middle age.

PlantsForHire
29-01-16, 18:40
As you have had an ecg of your heart then you can very reassured as this is the standard test for young people who could have inherited heart problems.

Dehydration would have had alot of effects on your body at the time and its good there were no long term effects.

I started with health anxiety as a child and its dominated my life and now with age I realise just how much it took over my life, I remember events not by the event in my life but by what I was worrying about health wise at that time and that is so very sad. Please do all you can to kick HA so you won't be like I am now in middle age.

Yes I think it is very important to overcome this obstacle in my life. There is so much more to live for than the worries of this life.

Thank you for your support. :D

Sparkling_Fairy
29-01-16, 19:00
I think the best thing I ever read was of a 64 year old, who had 40 years of anxiety behind her and she said: 40 years of worrying, and I'm still here with nothing ever being wrong. Don't spend your life worrying.

I realized I would rather not worry about a thing and die tomorrow, then spend 40 years worrying every single day. Okay I don't want to die tomorrow :winks: But you get the gist.
There are no guarantees in life. Anything could happen at any moment. But worrying about everything makes life unbearable.
Recognising that is the first step! I hope therapy can help you. You are faaaaaaaaaar too young to spend your every day worrying

PlantsForHire
29-01-16, 20:39
I think the best thing I ever read was of a 64 year old, who had 40 years of anxiety behind her and she said: 40 years of worrying, and I'm still here with nothing ever being wrong. Don't spend your life worrying.

I realized I would rather not worry about a thing and die tomorrow, then spend 40 years worrying every single day. Okay I don't want to die tomorrow :winks: But you get the gist.
There are no guarantees in life. Anything could happen at any moment. But worrying about everything makes life unbearable.
Recognising that is the first step! I hope therapy can help you. You are faaaaaaaaaar too young to spend your every day worrying

That is a great way to think about it. Anxiety may be exhausting and cause symptoms, but it is harmless for the most part. Something that really helped me was, "you will always come out of a panic attack alive".

I like to view anxiety as a obstacle I need to get past to fully enter adulthood because I am still young. It is a growing experience and I am embracing every minute of it for growth mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Sparkling_Fairy
29-01-16, 21:08
That is a great way to think about it. Anxiety may be exhausting and cause symptoms, but it is harmless for the most part. Something that really helped me was, "you will always come out of a panic attack alive".

I like to view anxiety as a obstacle I need to get past to fully enter adulthood because I am still young. It is a growing experience and I am embracing every minute of it for growth mentally, physically, and spiritually.

That is also a thing that helped me.
Now if I feel one coming on (and I do still have those days) I think: oh great! well, I'll be uncomfortable for 10 minutes and then I'll be fine.
And then I immediately relax and it doesn't happen.

You're so close to recovery if you already know that! And seeing this as a way to grow is a great way to look at it!