PDA

View Full Version : So scared!... Need a friend ;(

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 00:49
Hey everyone, I could really use a friend or someone to talk to right now. I'm in a bad place and I'm so scared I keep crying.

It all started with me noticing my left armpit looking discolored last week. At first I put it down to the homemade deodorant I've been using for about 3 monthes now. I've since stopped using it and I don't know if this discoloring is fading or not. I've been obsessively checking. My right armpit doesn't seem discolored at all. And the only thing I can explain for that is that I was using more of the deodorant on my left than my right.. Which I was. I also used a spoon to apply it so it wasn't always neatly in my armpit. (I had a thread about it in symptoms)

Anyways, I've got myself seriously terrified sick over acanthosis nigiricans which is described as "dark velvety patches in body folds and creases" armpits being on of the places it can be found. It can be an early sign of diabetes (which worried me but not even close to what scared me next) there's also a malignant form of it which can happen from some type of cancer or tumor in the stomach or somewhere else internally. And apparently the prognosis for that isn't too good.. About 2 years to live. After reading that last night I haven't stopped crying. My poor boyfriend has tried to calm me down but now as I'm writing this I feel the tears welling up in my eyes and I start to shake. I know I have to go to the doctors and I plan on it of course but I'm seriously so terrified that I feel so miserable and all I can think about it dying and leaving my cats and my boyfriend and this life. I'm 21 years old. I'm so frightened. I need some support. I fear for what the doctor will say and if it is bad then my life is going to be cut short and I can't say or do anything about it. I feel helpless, alone, and scared.
I'll include a picture of my armpit. I know no one on here can really do anything but I can't get out of the mess in my head. There's also a very very small skin tag on my armpit which I never noticed until now too and it had said something about skin tags as well. Please anyone, I need prayers or support or kind words because I'm so very very very consumed with horrible fear. :weep:

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 01:03
This is the deodorant by the way.. Was using it for 3 monthes.. Felt like it was working great & didn't notice this on my left pit until last week. :( I don't know what to think.. I pray it isn't bad!!:weep:

Shazamataz
29-01-16, 01:05
Savvy, I'm sorry you are in such a mess. Fear and anxiety are terrible things to deal with.

Can your boyfriend support you to go to the doctor?

I can understand a bit how you are feeling. I am currently in the worst days of my life, trapped at home and watching the clock tick, filled with constant dread and just waiting until I can go to bed tonight and escape into sleep (though I only ever get about 4-5 hours).

But I have reached out and seen the doctor and seeing a psychiatrist on monday.

Just DO something, anything. Taking action helps, it really does.

x

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 01:14
Oh Shaz I know and I will, I'm so scared of what the doctor will say. If it's bad like I keep thinking then it's a death sentence. I try to stay positive but those bad thoughts are convincing me that I'm done for. I'll probably be a crying mess at the doctor too. But your right it's the only thing that will help me. I haven't been this genuinely scared in awhile about anything.

nirvanainchains
29-01-16, 01:32
What’s the disease called? I have a discoloration in my armpits too.

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 01:39
Acanthosis Nigricans. I hope to not get you in a anxiety about it though.

nirvanainchains
29-01-16, 01:41
By the way, I have also a tiny skin tag on my left armpit too. See? Both of us is really identical when it comes to physical symptoms/abnormalities. We have the same worries too. You have mentioned a 2 years prognosis, what disease is that?

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 01:45
Well it's Acanthosis Nigricans - malignant. Not even sure how common it is or really a whole lot about it or what it had to look like but I'm just so scared about it. And like I said in my post its my left that seems more discolored.. Like in the pic not so much the right. Ugh

nirvanainchains
29-01-16, 02:09
I have a small skin tag on my left armpit too. See? We have the same symptoms/observations. All I can say is you need to calm down. My own interpretation about skin discoloration is that I’m maybe a diabetic or atleast in pre-diabetic stage, I eat sugar/sweets alot in my childhood days until teenage years, but I’m not obese. I am a 24 year old with a weight of 74-76Kg. By the way, what disease are you talking about when you mentioned “2 years to live”?

-------------
I’ve seen the photo, and it looked fine for me. Mine is more of a brownish discoloration, I don’t know if it’s the deodorant or DIABETES.

Savvy_Darling
29-01-16, 02:19
Well for you if your skin is darker that could be all. It says people with darker skin color can have it just because of that. Plus you're and guy and I'm sure you don't shave your pits so maybe the hair makes it look discolored as well. (?) I don't know what your skin color is but I was just saying in general.

And the 2 year prognosis is for if the skin discoloring is from a tumor somewhere internally like the stomach for example. Also, I guess if it's a metastasised cancer ? I'm not entirely sure but I read it online on this website. And I can't get it outta my head :( I know I'm trying to stay calm but thinking about dying soon has me so anxious and just a wreck.

Oh and i don't know if I could be diabetic or pre- I had a blood test last month and my glucose levels were in normal range which is what I thought they used for diagnosis of any diabetes.

the_anxious_mind
29-01-16, 04:02
I really don't know that I see anything abnormal here--and I am a total health anxious freak! Definitely see your doctor about it but from where I am seeing, I see no abnormalities! Just let my opinion calm you down--see your doctor for real medical advice! Hugs!

WorryWortAgain
29-01-16, 04:05
My brother and my sister have acanthosis nigricans. What you have does not look anything like what they have. I'm sure that the discoloration is from the deodorant. There must've been something in it that causes a reaction. Also, both my brother and my sister do not have diabetes or any other health condition. They've had the discoloration since childhood and they are in their 20's and 30's and there's no known reason for it. My brother is heavy but my sister isn't. They just have it. Anyway, go to the doctor to follow-up but I am certain you are just fine. Your discoloration doesn't even look like acanthosis nigricans.

nirvanainchains
29-01-16, 08:24
Yeah, I agree. I think that it is not Acanthosis. Acanthosis is much much much visible/darker/prominent , that’s how I describe it. I have it on my arm pits and some on the back of my neck. Maybe I’m diabetic but I have this since highschool.

MyNameIsTerry
29-01-16, 08:53
You are panicking about acanthosis nigiricans so think about a few keys things our NHS say about it:

- It's not a condition in itself, but can be a sign of an underlying health problem. These underlying conditions aren't usually serious, although occasionally acanthosis nigricans can be sign of cancer.

- The patches will be dry and rough, feeling similar to velvet. They may also be itchy.
- Acanthosis nigricans is usually harmless, but as it can be a sign of something serious it's a good idea to see your GP if you think you have it. They may suspect acanthosis nigricans just by looking at your skin.

- However, in most cases it's a sign of an underlying problem or condition such as obesity, diabetes or abnormal hormone levels.

I'm not going to post the cancer stuff on here but here is an important part of it:

This is a rare condition that tends to affect middle-aged or elderly people, regardless of their weight or ethnic background.

The patches are more severe and the mouth, tongue and lips may also be affected. The skin may also become irritated and itchy.

So, if it's rare for them it would be extremely rare, if at all, for someone as young as you.

Also, they say the patches would be more severe. Your armpits looks fine.

And please re-read you other threads which contain information/clues to why you have discolouration:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179412
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179410

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Also, I guess if it's a metastasised cancer ? I'm not entirely sure but I read it online on this website.

No, it's not. Metastasis means the cancer or disease has spread from one organ or part to another unconnected part of the body.

What you are worrying about would be a symptom, not a spread. I can't see any reference to it contributing to a secondary cancer form.

And this malignant form you are worrying about is not only linked to stomach cancer, it's just that it's the more likely link. However, please don't be worrying about other cancers either, I've only said this because you are focussing on that 2 year mortality rate to tell you that it's not even the only outcome.