PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid/ CFS?

Bonnibelle
29-01-16, 13:05
I have been struggling with fatigue for 8 months, I saw my GP in August last year and he ran some tests. All normal except for my Ferritin being low at 15 and B12 low at 212. I supplemented both and both have increased to 31 for ferritin and 501 for B12.

I have recently been through alot of stress as my son has had some issues in school with bullying and becoming crippled with panic attacks. It took it's toll on me as I was having to give him therapy myself and doing research because after our GP referred him to CAMHS they refused to help which caused my son to deteriorate. It was a horrific time.

During this time I started with dizziness, a feeling of the floor moving which I have had daily now for 10 weeks. It did feel a little better for 2 weeks over Christmas and I felt more confident but then after a day 3 weekends ago where I woke up feeling very dizzy in my head when I sat up in bed or turned onto my sides my anxiety rocketed through fear all this dizziness was something more like a brain tumour. My GP saw me twice in Nov and Dec at my house and told me it was down to stress and anxiety. He did lots of tests in person and bloods and all were good.

In the summer my bloods showed my thyroid TSH was 5.35 very close to the NHS range of 5.5 and my T4 was 11. I asked if i could have hypothyroidism and was ignored by my GP's, I tried 3. All said I didn't have hypothyroidism. I went private recently because I just can't cope with this crippling fatigue anymore. My TSH was 6.54, my T4 had increased to 14. I wrote to my GP with the results, he rang me last night and made me feel so stupid. He said as I have no thryoid antibodies I do not have hypothyroidism even if my TSH is higher than the range. He said a raised TSH can be due to vitamins deficiences and asked about my diet which is good. He saw on the results my vitamins are all in better range. I have had low ferritin for 10 years with no answer as to why. I asked him so why have I been this fatigued for 8 months and it's getting worse? he said it's chronic fatigue, he sounded frustrated like I was annoying or stressing him. He said 'with patients like you with fatigue and good blood results we don't know what to do, it's just chronic fatigue'. I said Just? I have to juggle a family, i have 3 children, I take my kids to school then come home and fester, scared to walk around, scared if I vacuum my house as I feel so weak and drained afterwards. A year ago I was exercising 4 times a week and yoga daily, outgoing and loving life then this hi and I have slowly lost my quality of life. My anxiety is now so high due to how off balance I am as I find it frightening, and how drained I am daily. Anyone who knows me knows I am a very athletic person, yes I had anxiety but working out was my focus and I loved it. It was my passion, one I have now lost.

So I am just left like this. Told that the dizziness he could refer me to ENT if I wanted him to or maybe it's just due to the fatigue and anxiety.

I have no support as I have no family, my mother never visits or offers me support. She is aware of my sons struggles the last 3 months and hasn't been anywhere near us to offer support as she sees my sister and her children daily so doesn't have time. I have a good husband but he works long hours. I am struggling to keep afloat some days and the fear of why I am dizzy scares me making me more stressed out.

Am I just being thrown in the CFS box? or is my GP wrong that I have thyroid issues? They run on my mums side, she is hypothyroid.

I am confused and anxious, fed up totally. I want my life back. I keep going for my children, cooking, cleaning, smiling... but inside I am afraid to walk round, beyond tired, weak, at home 70% of the time so worried I am agoraphobic like I was 3 years ago for a few months when my anxiety began. I got over my anxiety and had my life back, then I was floored with this. It's so unfair.

Sorry to offload, I am just in need of some advice. I have no idea what to do next.

B

Gary A
29-01-16, 13:35
It doesn't sound like hypothyroidism, and I do agree with your GP that you have CFS, probably exacerbated by your anxiety issues. If you sit back and think logically, it's hardly surprising that you're fatigued. Anxiety alone puts enormous strain on the nervous system, as well as your mental state. All the while you're dealing with a number of issues that anyone would find strenuous.

It's like a massive tangled web of stress and, unfortunately, your body is reacting to it. When the mind suffers the body cries out.

I would suggest attempting a mixture of relaxation techniques coupled with excersise. Excersise is very underrated when dealing with anxiety. It focuses the mind on whichever excersise you're doing, plus it has the natural ability to make you feel good. It boosts confidence in your physical capabilities.

Relaxation is a different idea. YouTube has countless videos designed to assist in relaxation. I would suggest using a few of them when you get the spare time. Plug in your earphones and just drift away, even for ten minutes or so. Again, it focuses the mind on something other than stress.

There really isn't too much a doctor can do for issues like this, and it sounds like the doctor is kind of passing the buck by suggesting an ENT appointment.

First thing is to reassure yourself that this is not being caused by a brain tumour or anything remotely as nasty. This is a perfectly normal bodily reaction to stress. If you hard wire yourself with that thought, it will allow you to then deal with the issue.

I would also request that your GP may look into some form of therapy. CBT can be good, but it's not for everyone. You may have to speak to a mental health expert in order to find a good match.

I wish you well, it sounds like you're having a real time of it here, you have my deepest sympathies.

Ssmith
29-01-16, 15:29
Having exactly the same problem as you regarding fatigue. I'm a 25 year old male so don't fit the bracket for CFS but for the last few years, I've been really tired. This all came to a head about 5 months ago when i had a big relapse with my depression and anxiety and along came the tiredness big style. I only really get extremely tired eyes to the point they sting. I find i can't do as much as i used to but i put that more down to the depression and lack of motivation. I've had a sleep apnea test and blood tests which show i am vitamin d deficient, but that's it.

My anxiety is making me obsess over the CFS. From what I've read, it's not just tiredness. It's a whole body exhaustion type thing, along with worsening symptoms after exercise and possible flu like symptoms. My doctor says he doesn't think i have it and the fatigue is due to the constant anxiety and depression but i can't stop thinking about CFS. I, like you, would do anything to stop the tiredness and my GP hasn't really offered anything.

We've got to hold onto the hope that it will get better

t0rt01se36
29-01-16, 15:47
I was diagnosed with Borderline Thyroid 2 years ago and I feel tired all the time and lacking in energy.

For atleast 15 years I've been lacking in energy, but within the last 5 years, y tiredness has got more noticeable. It's really annoying me.

I get the feeling I'm lacking in something. I know tiredness is to do with Thyroid, but I want to know what can be done to help me, especially when I don't take medication.

The good news is that I've just talked to a Doctor and he's arranging for me to have some more blood tests done. I was "normal" for my Thyroid result, a few months ago.

Bonnibelle - Sorry you've been through a tough time and I hope you get the right help and whatever.

Sparkling_Fairy
29-01-16, 18:11
I can only say that when I had anxiety, I felt like I was working out 24/7.
I felt sooooooooo tired all the time. You tense up without realising it and you're giving yourself a workout all the time, not even to mention you're probably not sleeping well.
When my anxiety went, so did my fatigue. Trust your doctor(s)

Bonnibelle
29-01-16, 20:42
Thank you all.

I'm finding it hard go trust my gp but I want to.the one who examined me in November and December when I was off balance said he thought the stress I was under was causing it. My son in October told me he was suicidal. He had been bullied all year. Our gp referred him to the childrens mental health team and they said I'd be best to help him having experience of anxiety. My gp was outraged. My son threw up every morning with panic. He had 10 panic attacks a day in school and would beg me not to leave him. Text me all day begging me to go get him. It destroyed me. He's only 11. I had to give him therapy and im pound to say after 3 months of hard work he now goes to school happy, 0 panic attacks and he's just completed 2 full weeks. I'm so proud and emotional sleep lol. But my gp thought juggling that plus my daughter has had virus after virus for 3 months was too much. I became weak and anxious which led to me feeling off balance. The ground moving as I walked and feeling myself sinking into the ground when I'm stood upright. Can stress really do this? My gp said yes it could so I believed him and for 2 weeks I felt a lot better but the last 3 weeks it'd back in full force. Scaring me I've a brain tumour or something.

I'm worried thyroid is being ignored by the my gp.said tsh alone is not hypothyroidism even if over range.

He said if cfs nothing they can do as all my tests are fine.

I just feel so confused, anxious and scared. I want to be able to walk around again without feeling off balance and terrified I will collapse. I want to feel less tired. I'm fatigued daily and it's horrible.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

B

Sparkling_Fairy
29-01-16, 21:05
I just feel so confused, anxious and scared.

B

I think the proof is right in that sentence.
You're anxious and scared all the time.
You've dealt with so much stress over the past months! Your poor son. I was bullied all through high school and it's rough. And being only 11 I can only imagine! For you having to give him therapy is outrageous. He should have been referred. But with you being able to help him, you probably subconsciously took a lot of his stuff on to yourself.

Don't underestimate what stress can do to your body. It manifests differently for everyone. I've never felt off balance, but I've definitely had the feeling I was sinking through the floor thing. Or sometimes feeling really small, like I was too close to the ground.
And then the feelings make you feel more stressed, and it's a vicious cycle.
Try to sleep well. Priority number 1! It does wonders for your body. And then give it time. That's all you can do. Either see a therapist to help you with this, or wait for the feeling to pass.

The fact that it did for 2 weeks, means it's not a physical thing like a brain tumour. It wouldn't have passed at all if it was. It's a pure physical manifestation of stress. Easier said than done, but give it time

Phuzella
29-01-16, 21:10
In my experience anxiety can cause dizziness definitely. I had it for about 4 months a couple of years ago .
I had to hold onto someone when walking. I also felt faint a lot and spent a lot of time just sitting. I get BPPV too occasionally but the anxiety dizziness was more constant. I

Bonnibelle
29-01-16, 22:16
Thank you.

I've noticed it is worse on stressful days with my son but thankfully it's all passing for him now.

He was referred to the children mental health team they assesses him and refused to help despite him being suicidal, depressed, low self esteem and chronic panic attacks. Absolutely disgusting but very common with camhs I'm told.

Thank you.

B

I think the proof is right in that sentence.
You're anxious and scared all the time.
You've dealt with so much stress over the past months! Your poor son. I was bullied all through high school and it's rough. And being only 11 I can only imagine! For you having to give him therapy is outrageous. He should have been referred. But with you being able to help him, you probably subconsciously took a lot of his stuff on to yourself.

Don't underestimate what stress can do to your body. It manifests differently for everyone. I've never felt off balance, but I've definitely had the feeling I was sinking through the floor thing. Or sometimes feeling really small, like I was too close to the ground.
And then the feelings make you feel more stressed, and it's a vicious cycle.
Try to sleep well. Priority number 1! It does wonders for your body. And then give it time. That's all you can do. Either see a therapist to help you with this, or wait for the feeling to pass.

The fact that it did for 2 weeks, means it's not a physical thing like a brain tumour. It wouldn't have passed at all if it was. It's a pure physical manifestation of stress. Easier said than done, but give it time

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Did it ever feel like the ground was bobbing or moving? I've had it 12 weeks now. My gp who saw me before Christmas said it's not a sign of anything serious so not to worry and I passed all the tests.

In my experience anxiety can cause dizziness definitely. I had it for about 4 months a couple of years ago .
I had to hold onto someone when walking. I also felt faint a lot and spent a lot of time just sitting. I get BPPV too occasionally but the anxiety dizziness was more constant. I

Phuzella
29-01-16, 22:40
Yes absolutely and it was like the ground felt uneven so I didn't know where to put my feet. In the end, I started to go out for very small walks on my own and gradually it improved. I'd had a lot of stress leading up to the dizziness so I know how you feel.

Bonnibelle
29-01-16, 23:25
Can I ask was it constant? I've had it 10 weeks and felt it every day. Such a worry.

What did your doctor say about it if you saw them?

Thank you.

Yes absolutely and it was like the ground felt uneven so I didn't know where to put my feet. In the end, I started to go out for very small walks on my own and gradually it improved. I'd had a lot of stress leading up to the dizziness so I know how you feel.

Phuzella
30-01-16, 08:15
Yes it was constant and I live alone so that made it more scary . The doctors put it all down to anxiety, even when I once made a scene in the reception area screaming that I was having a heart attack! I wasn't of course :) .
With me, winter and long dark nights play a big part in my mood.
My recovery definitely coincided with Spring arriving :)