PDA

View Full Version : Work

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 01:24
I'm wondering how people cope with work and anxiety. I've been signed off for 2 weeks since my anxiety started again. I LOVE my job and the people i work with but I'm starting to panic that I'm back on Monday morning and last Monday when I tried to go back I had a complete meltdown 2 hours in. I really want to go back but I'm scared this will happen again. Everyone at work has been amazing but it's a busy place and there isn't time for me to keep letting them down

Chocolateface
30-01-16, 04:08
Hi

Do you know what triggered it? If it is work can you not speak with your manager to have less stres until uou are able to cope better. At the moment I have to keep tellong myself it is axiety not reality and taking deep breaths

Hope it goes ok

Clare

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 04:37
My first time around with a breakdown I had the same worries as you and I put off going back to work for months. I was still in the same position though. I had spent time trying to recover though so getting back into work was the logical next step for me.

The first day was tricky. I was shaking in the car looking across at the doors. The time came and I went in. I was very anxious and the office had moved around too so I didn't know where I was going. I was lucky really because my manager put me in a spare room a couple of people were using and that helped me. I just got stuck into my emails and went from there.

People stopping to talk to me did make my anxiety rise with the old sensation of escape. But it was also nice to have the chats with people being friendly.

I also found it hard doing my first briefing surrounding by someone's team as it was in a new building, I was upstairs and they crowded around between desks meaning there was no easy way to just walk off, I would have to move them. The panic was rising but I kept control and sat it out. It took a few times for this to subside.

6 Months later and most of my confidence was back. I was running meetings & workshops, giving presentations, dealing with people of all levels, etc. The first couple of months had their off & on moments but it was nowhere near what I was dreading.

I enjoyed my job back and I think that goes a long way with motivation to go back. When I relapsed I hated what my job had become. So, loving your job and appreciating your colleagues are two very big plus points.

2 Weeks isn't long for anxiety, I was off a year the first time. If you don't feel ready, your GP may just sign you off further if they don't think being in work would be positive for you. It really does depend where you are in recovery, there was no way I could have gone back the first few months due to how I was.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 07:22
I've hurt my side I was really silly and googled it and convinced myself I've got liver problems I've seen 2 Drs and 2 nurses who have all told me it's a pulled muscle and anxiety. I tried to go back Monday and my side really hurt and I felt really panicky. I've also noticed it hurt when I went shopping and again when I was out yesterday. At home it hardly hurts and it feels like a pulled muscle but when I'm out its really sore and makes me think it's worse so I feel I need to get home Incase anything happens when I'm out.

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 07:48
When you are out shopping you will be walking, bending, carrying things, etc which will all aggravate a pulled muscle. Anything in the rib or back area can give you a lot of sharp pains or nagging aches that get in the way of things.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 08:03
My work also involves a lot of bending and lifting. It seems to start under my right rib and move to the back I think I must have layed funny last night because it's tender again this morning. I've also lost some weight but I was so anxious the last 2 weeks I've hardly eaten the first week I managed on a frube yogurt and banana all day most days so of course I'm going to have lost a little but the nagging in my mind keeps telling me it's because the pain in my side is something serious then I get the need to be at home with my daughter and my family

Phuzella
30-01-16, 08:06
Eating that small amount+anxiety = weight loss

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 08:26
And logically I know that and any other time I'd be over the moon to loose weight lol

Phuzella
30-01-16, 08:28
Try Complan or similar type drinks. At least you'll be getting all your daily vitamins etc :)

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 08:33
There are loads of little muscles in the core, not just the abs, oblique's and intercostal as people often think of. There are various stabilising muscles too. You may have a sprain/strain. We use these muscles so often that any injury there and you will know about it a lot.

I've done my fair share of weightlifting as a younger man and putting any level of weight on something like that and you can be dropping the weight.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 08:44
Intercostal is what I've been told by the dr and it makes sense that when I'm anxious my breathing changes which makes it hurt I just need to get the negative what if they are wrong thoughts out of my head I hope being back at work will help next week

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 09:04
I've had injuries in that region myself and even breathing hurt, and you just pray a sneeze doesn't come along! They tend to be difficult to support too. I guess those new supports you can cut & stick might be helpful though?

A CBT technique with "what ifs" is to counter them with 3-5 "positive what ifs:.

For instance, "what if this is something worse?"

"What if it's not anything worse?"
"What if it's something simple and treatable?"
"What if it's what my GP says it is?"
"What if this will heal on it's own?"
"What if it has gone in a week or so?"
Etc.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 09:10
It doesn't hurt to sneeze or cough. It's tender to touch and things like driving and reaching over for my seatbelt can be uncomfortable but usually if i change how I'm standing or sitting it goes

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

I have filled out an online form for CBT but that was 2 days ago and I've not received an email or anything back so I'm wondering if I've filled it out wrong ive got another Drs appointment in 2 weeks so if ive not heard anything then I'll ask her

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-16, 09:18
I would give them some time, they may send you out a letter rather then an email but it may take a few days for them to even assess the request to see what is needed. As long as you have gone onto the correct website (I'm assuming it's your local IAPT people) then you will be fine. If you Google NHS IAPT (assuming you are in England or Wales) then a search feature will pop up and you can punch your post code in to check your local partners. Then you can Google for them in your area to find them to do the form part but perhaps just checking they were the correct people is enough?

If it's not hurting when you do that, it's good. Perhaps it will heal really fast.

Bakebeansrule
30-01-16, 09:26
Thank you I am in England. I was given a phone number then when I called they told me a website to go on to self refer so like you said it will probably take some time