PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of Dread

longbourn81
30-01-16, 11:04
So I have been really good for over a week no anxiety attacks. Having this site and people to talk to have really helped me and I think it has helped diminish some of my attacks. I wanted to come on here now however before I get to bad because I can feel a sense of dread coming on. No particular fear at the moment just wanted to touch base before or if the anxiety kicked in. What techniques do you use when you can feel an attack starting to stop it ?????

NessMonster
30-01-16, 16:49
It's lovely to hear that you've been having a good week. Anxiety attacks are draining so I imagine it's felt like a welcome relief.

That impending fear of terror and dread...well sometimes I can't avoid it. It happens and I have to sit through it. Sometimes that is kind of useful because when I do come out of it, which we all do eventually, you are able to reflect and know that you were capable of surviving what you felt like was the worst possible thing at that moment in time. You prove to yourself that you felt that feeling and in the end nothing terrible happened because of it.

Distractions are always great, whether it's watching a movie, reading, going for a walk, surfing the net. There are times though when I know it's going to be really difficult so I may try to go somewhere where there will people around whether that be friends or family. No one really knows the extent of my anxiety so I do have to use a lot of energy to control it in those situations but that also helps too because even if no one knows, if that dreadful thing did happen then at least I'm not alone with it and unable to get help.

A lot of it is trial and error, trying many things to find the ones that work best for you. I hope the coming week is good to you.