PDA

View Full Version : Rise in blood pressure when standing up

androidz
30-01-16, 13:09
Hey, I have a question about my blood pressure. I understand these forums might not be the best place to ask but since I'm a part of the community, why not.

When I measure my BP while sitting it reads usually around 100-115 / 60-68, but if I stand up and measure it again it inmediately goes up to 120-125 / 80-85. Heart rate goes from 70 sitting to 90 standing.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it a normal reaction? Lately I've been a bit dizzy especially when walking, not dizzy as in vertigo but as in a mild fainting sensation.

Thanks in advance.

Fishmanpa
30-01-16, 15:31
Totally normal as are both readings.

Positive thoughts

zaedas99
29-10-17, 22:05
Hello Fishmanpa, i found this thread with google.

My bp is between 110-120 on 65-80 when resting, but if i stand up, i get around 140 / 80..

I'm a bit overweight but nothing major, is that normal too?

A website i found suggest this is called "positional hypertension".

That's weird, because im pretty sure its actually good that it rises... Wouldn't it prevent you from fainting?

Heart rate also goes from 70/80 to 90-95 while standing.

Thank you. Sorry for replying on an old thread.

Fishmanpa
29-10-17, 22:16
I suffer from orthostatic hypotension due to the heart meds I take and have had a few occasions that it caused loss of consciousness. Nothing like waking up on the floor wondering what the hell happened! :wacko: Yes, it's a good thing that your BP raises slightly when you stand up.

Positive thoughts

melfish
30-10-17, 00:03
Your BP and heart rate are meant to do that when you stand up. When you're sitting, the blood pools in your lower extremities due to that pesky thing called gravity. Your heart pumps harder for a few minutes to counteract this up on standing.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Why are you monitoring your BP and HR so intently anyhow?