PDA

View Full Version : Worried about MS.

dcltr
31-01-16, 03:55
Hi all,

I have read the MS newcomers thread which is great but I'd just like some further opinions.

Over the past 2 weeks I've noticed some troubling symptoms that don't seem to point to anything but MS.

It started with tingling and pins and needles in both hands and feet. That has since subsided but I now have dull aches and shooting pains all around my body. My legs are affected mostly but sometimes my right arm or left arm might ache.

I had an MRI on my brain last October and an MRI on my spine last week which have both come back normal. I've seen 3 doctors who think I'm okay but I can't seem to shake the feeling I have MS.

I thought I was recovering and getting over the feeling until I had 2 new weird symptoms. Over the past few days I've had a feeling that there is something under my left big toe, like a piece of tape or something. I've checked multiple times and there is nothing there.

The other weird symptom is I've woken up in the morning with my right hand partially numb (everything excluding my thumb and index finger). I don't believe I was sleeping on it either.

I've been reassured its nothing but I cant seem to shake this awful feeling.

I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to keep annoying doctors but my mind is always racing and if i truely do have something wrong with me I don't want it to get worse but delaying a diagnosis.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gary A
31-01-16, 04:12
A normal brain MRI is a good starting point. The vast majority of MS sufferers have very noticeable brain lesions that are consistent with the condition. In the absence of this, MS is highly unlikely. I'm assuming you have had tests carried out to check your reflexes, co-ordination, balance etc? If so, the doctors have probably found no reason to keep trying to diagnose MS.

Has any explanation of your symptoms been offered to you by your doctor?

dcltr
31-01-16, 04:17
A normal brain MRI is a good starting point. The vast majority of MS sufferers have very noticeable brain lesions that are consistent with the condition. In the absence of this, MS is highly unlikely. I'm assuming you have had tests carried out to check your reflexes, co-ordination, balance etc? If so, the doctors have probably found no reason to keep trying to diagnose MS.

Has any explanation of your symptoms been offered to you by your doctor?

I had a few minor reflex tests done and everything reacted normal.

I've been given the stress/anxiety diagnosis but I just don't know how they could cause such unique symptoms.

Wondering if anything could have started appearing on my brain within the 4 months since the brain mri.

Gary A
31-01-16, 04:23
Stress and and anxiety can certainly cause these symptoms. When under intense and long lasting levels of anxiety and stress, your nervous system gets over worked. It starts to fire off when it shouldn't, as it's on constant red alert. Your symptoms, believe it or not, are very suggestive of chronic anxiety. Have a look round these forums to see how many others suffer with almost identical symptoms.

You may find that if you stop worrying about MS, your symptoms will gradually improve, or disappear altogether.

dcltr
31-01-16, 04:51
Stress and and anxiety can certainly cause these symptoms. When under intense and long lasting levels of anxiety and stress, your nervous system gets over worked. It starts to fire off when it shouldn't, as it's on constant red alert. Your symptoms, believe it or not, are very suggestive of chronic anxiety. Have a look round these forums to see how many others suffer with almost identical symptoms.

You may find that if you stop worrying about MS, your symptoms will gradually improve, or disappear altogether.

I think the part I'm struggling the most with is the fact that most of the time it's just 1 of my limbs aching. If was my whole body it'd be easier to point to stress.

Thanks for you replies =).

Shazamataz
31-01-16, 05:58
I've had similar experience and thought I had MS for a couple of years. I haven't had an MRI but had the nerve testing thing done and was told I had the best nerves they'd ever seen!

GP insists it's either anxiety related or medication related. I think anxiety can manifest itself anywhere in the body in pretty much any way.

I had the tingling and weakness and general odd feeling on my whole left side and it still comes and goes. I understand you not feeling reassured because I'm not 100% there either but think about it less.

One thing is to get your B12 levels checked. I did some research and low levels can cause a lot of neurological symptoms and treatment is simple.

Sorry you are going through this.

dcltr
31-01-16, 06:03
I've had similar experience and thought I had MS for a couple of years. I haven't had an MRI but had the nerve testing thing done and was told I had the best nerves they'd ever seen!

GP insists it's either anxiety related or medication related. I think anxiety can manifest itself anywhere in the body in pretty much any way.

I had the tingling and weakness and general odd feeling on my whole left side and it still comes and goes. I understand you not feeling reassured because I'm not 100% there either but think about it less.

One thing is to get your B12 levels checked. I did some research and low levels can cause a lot of neurological symptoms and treatment is simple.

Sorry you are going through this.

I've been told many times anxiety can have so many different symptoms so I'm trying to reassure myself it's that.

The newest symptom I've got now if the left side of my face seems tight. Doesn't feel right at all. Having a hard time convincing myself I don't have it.

Shazamataz
31-01-16, 06:47
Do your best not to focus on it. It's hard though! Like saying don't think of a blue elephant and then it's impossible not to!

I will say that if I had been for an MRI that would be enough to reassure me so you are lucky in that respect!

dcltr
31-01-16, 07:19
Do your best not to focus on it. It's hard though! Like saying don't think of a blue elephant and then it's impossible not to!

I will say that if I had been for an MRI that would be enough to reassure me so you are lucky in that respect!

Do you think a clear mri in October should give me confidence that I'm okay? I've had 3 doctors tell me it's a really good sign.

Shazamataz
31-01-16, 08:04
Yes I think that's good. Nothing drastic can happen in such a short time so please try not to worry!

dcltr
31-01-16, 09:19
Yes I think that's good. Nothing drastic can happen in such a short time so please try not to worry!

Thanks Shazamataz. Hopefully this all goes away soon.

itwillbefine
02-02-16, 16:15
I have this. I have this. I have this. EXACTLY this. Just like you, the tingling in arms, hands and feet subsided and pains started instead. I've been worried sick. Had nerve conduction test for carpal tunnel and ulnar affection last week (the probably harmless conditions that can cause the finger numbness). The doctor said my right arm "was on the limit" (whatever that means), but also that it might just be an issue with the technological equipment. She didn't think I have anything nerve related, but I am waiting for an offical response from my own neurologist.
I am currently not anxious, but these sensations and pains are still there. My feet soles, inner thighs and arms are affected. Tingling in one toe for a few days, then a finger, then... it shifts from one limb to the other constantly.
I've had iron deficiency, but after 2½ months of taking supplements, I am not remarkably better. I KNOW it's in my nerves, because I can feel the nerves that they stimulated during the nerve conduction test. In January I did experience a clear intensification of the symptoms during stress and anxiety (because of travelling). I also think that it may build up after my period and then subsides until the next period.

Do you have the twitching too? Today I have them in my right arm, which is also the one generally most affected (and the one which was on the limit).

Anyway, it comforts me to come on here after a few weeks' absence, only to find I'm not the only one, and that it may be anxiety related. Wonder what the doctor will say.

kimy1981
02-02-16, 21:04
Hi im new to the site but had to post a reply . I feel the same both my hands and feet tingly and I'm worried about MS . I run up and down my hall way , hop , skip , walk on my tip toes and heals just to check myself I'm driving self nuts !! . However I am taking Setroline and a side effect is tingling also HA can cause it . Kim xx