PDA

View Full Version : Partner with GAD Need advice

ANONN212
31-01-16, 17:57
So my long term partner is suffering from GAD and very small amount of depression, they are currently having their course of CBT and working on it.
I myself have suffered from anxiety issues in the past, but see myself as able to cope with them and keep myself together 99.9% of the time.

Although I have been through a form of anxiety, I am finding that my partner is suffering differently from me and really not coping well with the anger side of things. My partner really lashes out at me and says not very nice things, tells me that I make it worse and that I'm not a nice person. I am finding this a very very lonely job, as I am the one that is always there for them, encouraged them to get help, but I have needs too and I feel that I am finding it hard to put everything on the back-burner.

I am often blamed for not being there, when I have skipped appointments and meetings to make sure they are ok, I have given countless pep talks, advice and actual CBT help. I try and approach hard topics and tough situations in a way where they don't feel threatened or blamed, but keeping my own temper down when they are hurling abuse is really, really hard.

I wonder if anyone else is having the same issues and how they are coping? I can't apply all of my own advice as it is a very different situation to my own.

I am new, so if this is the wrong thread to be writing in... I hope you can tell me where I should be writing.

Thanks. Pleassssssssssssseee reply