PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Behavioural Therapy...scared!

ScarletSpeedster
31-01-16, 18:26
Hey guys,

I am new to this section, but am hoping that some of you can provide me with some answers on CBT.

Short story - I am a twenty-one year old woman who over the past two/three years has been progressively struggling with worsening health anxiety/general anxiety/panic. These past six months have been reaching heights I have never experienced before, and the feeling of fear and panic attacks are now almost daily. It is making my life very hard, as I have little time for anything because I am so paralysed with fear/anxiety and panic attacks.

I have now been referred to a therapist for CBT, and have no idea really what to expect or if it will help me out. I have probably A LOT of issues, mainly revolving around food/eating disorder, scared to leave my house a lot because I don't feel safe, and other smaller but severe worries and problems.

Could anyone please offer any advice or information on CBT and what it entails? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Carnation
31-01-16, 18:45
It is only natural to feel frightened ScarletSpeedster. :hugs:
Especially with the unknown and with the 'Fear' holding you at ransom.

I found CBT very good for me. There are Professionals and they will not make you do anything out of your comfort zone and will take things very cautiously.
The first session is just about getting to know you and making you feel relaxed and comfortable. You have to build up a trust and as sessions go on, you may actually look forward to them and want them to come around quicker.
Each person and case is different, but they will look at what works best for you.
They will give you tips on how to cope and slowly help you to recover from your state of anxiety. There is no time limit on this as everyone is different.
They will make sure that you are safe and relaxed and you may find a huge weight lift from you, but be prepared for some tears here and there as you may become emotional from talking about your condition.

I for one recommend it. :hugs:

Emmakatie1027
31-01-16, 22:15
It's really helping me and my anxietys calmed down a lot-I can actually relax now and find time to do things I enjoy. I've learnt to deal with stress better.