PDA

View Full Version : Floaters?

turboswag
31-01-16, 22:59
I am a teenage girl, slightly nearsighted with a tinge of astigmatism. I have always had floaters however since my anxiety kick started its been one thing after another.

Yesterday I noticed a floater in my right eye. I fixated on it and it's sort of a blob, little "o" shapes that are clear and there are several little "o" shapes sort of stuck together. Then today I noticed a banana shaped one in my peripheral vision and POSSIBLY another third floater. The first one that I noticed yesterday seems to be getting larger/changing shapes however I'm not sure it is, or if I'm fixated on it. I see them when looking at flat, bright surfaces and no other time. I don't notice them until I see one and then suddenly I see them all. I am going to fix my prescription on Tuesday so I will bring this up with my eye doctor, however I was just wondering if it's normal for teenagers to have floaters, because I've never noticed them, and if this is a possible sign of a retinal tear.

I have no experienced any flashes of light and I don't have any dark spots in my vision. Thanks in advance!:yesyes:

Fishmanpa
01-02-16, 01:08
Everyone has floaters to one degree or another. If I focus, I can see them too. That being said, my mind has adjusted as it has with most of the other inconveniences of the side effects from illnesses I have/had.

Because you're hyper-focused on this, it's causing you undue anxiety. You even said "I don't notice them until I see one and then suddenly I see them all." which affirms what I'm saying.

Positive thoughts

nivekc251
01-02-16, 01:46
When my anxiety is high it feels like I can see dozens of them lol. Once I finally settle down I only a couple really catch my eye. Try not to focus on them. It's so hard lol

AdamE
01-02-16, 15:15
I see them all of the time too. Some of us just focus on everything a little more than we would like. It's nothing though. You might notice them more when you're looking at something light colored. If you're where you have snow on the ground you might see them a ton. I go for walks everyday and see them mostly when looking at all white :). Everyone has them though so don't worry.

KeeKee
01-02-16, 16:21
I have those 'o' shape floaters never knew how to describe them that fits them perfectly. I have about 7 or 8 close together but not touching and a worm shaped floater. I had an eye test last month and specifically mentioned my floaters and she said she couldn't see them so they must be tiny. She said they are relatively common and wasn't phased by them.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Incidentally they never ever bothered me until I read posts on here and realised they could mean something negative haha. The same with palpitations have had them for as long as I can remember (as has most of my family at one point or another) but they only bothered me once I developed health anxiety.

Fishmanpa
01-02-16, 17:17
Incidentally they never ever bothered me until I read posts on here and realised they could mean something negative haha.

They're not!

Positive thoughts

turboswag
02-02-16, 00:26
Thanks for the responses, everyone! The only thing that bothers me still is that the floaters seem to change every time I look at them. Sometimes I can't find one, only for it to show up hours later and darker than ever. It seems like they might be breaking apart and becoming more translucent and smaller but then sometimes it looks like they're worse than ever. It all depends, and I always thought floaters remained generally the same.

However I'm going to see my eye doctor tomorrow so I will ask him about it!

GingerFish
02-02-16, 12:21
I have constant floaters. Some are worm shaped, some are dots and some look like cobwebs. They are a mixture of clear, white-ish and grey. They are annoying sometimes but as long as you've had your eyes tested recently and the optician said your eyes are fine then they are nothing more than a nuisance. Floaters are never usually serious. Flashing lights can be but those aren't classed as floaters.