PDA

View Full Version : Night time Panic attack and fainted! So frightened.

ClipClop
01-02-16, 13:40
Hi all,

So, my panic attacks are by and large under control now (can generally control them within 15 mins and not let it affect my day). However, the area I still struggle with is nighttime panic attacks (I wake up suddenly and start panicking). This is made worse by the fact that I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) as I fear waking up and suddenly vomiting. Anyway, this morning I woke suddenly at 6 am, saw my BF was awake so asked what the time was, I was relieved when I realised I had another 45 mins snooze time (my job is stressful). Anyway, I suddenly started feeling terribly sick. This in itself is not unusual for me (due to the emetophobia) and I often feel sick in the night. But this was different; it was quickly over-whelming and I really thought I was going to be sick. I panicked and put my bedside light on (whilst still lying down) and asked (or should I say panically 'ordered') my BF to get me a cold flannel. It wasn't enough to cool me so I asked for some water whilst I tried to figure out urgently where I could be sick without causing a mess in bed (another fear). Anyway, I then started feeling very faint and the next thing I knew, I was waking up in my BF's arms having passed out. He said I was out for about 15 seconds and my eyes were rolling back.

Now, had I stood up and even sat up before fainting, I could have blamed it on low blood pressure. But I will lying down! I didn't think it was possible to faint lying down, and I definitely thought a PA was unlikely to cause fainting due to the rise in blood pressure. I went to the doctor this morning because I was freaking out about it still, and she said it was most likely hyperventilation due to anxiety. And yes, it can happen lying down. Because I didn't urinate she said it was unlikely it was a fit and that, as long as it doesn't happen again, I shouldn't worry...

I was just curious at to know if anyone had ever experienced anything similar? Like, actual fainting? (Not just feeling faint).

I'm so sorry to be rambling, it just frightened me so much. I'm currently on my bed, trying to pull myself together enough to go to work. I really thought I was beating anxiety, but now this has happened... :weep:

Theophania
20-02-16, 22:42
Wow, I can completely relate to your post. I myself finally thought I was getting my shit together and beating my anxiety but 6 days ago I passed out while sitting in my car in a drive thru with my young daughter in the car. I am also so scared because the doctor at the hospital said that a panic attack was unlikely the cause and has ordered all these heart tests for me, I am terrified also. I am so sorry that I cannot be of help to you but I can say that before the doctor scared me I was certain it was a panic attack that caused it, because of how I felt in the lead up to losing consciousness. I hope you are doing better now.

Gary A
20-02-16, 23:24
Fainting is unusual in panic attacks, but not completely unheard of. Severe panic attacks can cause derealisation, in which you kind of just remove yourself from yourself, if that makes sense. The hyperventilation during attacks is what causes most of the physical symptoms.

The fact it happened while your fear of vomiting was prominent certainly points to a panic attack also.