PDA

View Full Version : Hearing People Chew

the_anxious_mind
01-02-16, 16:07
Does anyone else just want to scream when people are chewing/slurping? I don't know if this is a mental issue or just a very bad annoyance to me... Sometimes I can deal with it but other days it just drives me absolutely mad! But holy crap!!! Sorry to be trivial, but it is driving me crazy at the moment and I just had to vent to someone!!! :roflmao:Can anyone else relate to this??

Fishmanpa
01-02-16, 17:14
It's not trivial. It's a real thing called Misophonia (a strong aversion/reaction to sounds).

I've always had it it but it was exasperated during my cancer treatment. I'll tell you a funny (now) story.

I was about 3 weeks into treatment and hurting something awful. Add to that the steroids they were giving me during chemo had a bad reaction so I was literally in a psychotic state. I don't remember much during that time but I remember sitting in the waiting room waiting for them to call me back. There was a "big" guy sitting with his Mom (she was in treatment). Mind you, I could barely swallow, let alone eat at this point. So he's sitting there with a bag of potato chips, crinkling the bag and crunching away! In my mind I saw myself get up, go over, grab the bag from him and dump it all over his head, yelling at him to close his *@!&#^% mouth when he chewed!

Fortunately, I had enough reality and sense to get up and take a walk! ~lol~

So yeah, certain sounds just push my buttons. Beeping noises get to me. I used CBT techniques/exposure to desensitize myself. I can deal with them much better now.

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
01-02-16, 18:15
I have this too. I believe I've had it all my life but these last 3 years or so it's painful to deal with. My biggest trigger is loud breathing and I have to put up with it constantly as my partner is a loud breather. (also a snorer, we haven't shared a room now for over 4 years :weep:). It's getting to the point where I can't stand being in the same room as him it sickens me. He's been to the doctors about it (bless him) but they just keep fobbing him off with steroid nasal sprays.
I also despise chewing it makes me want to punch somebody in the face (I would never do it) and my lower stomach gets all tingly.
Fishmanpa that's hilarious, I also have similar thoughts when I hear my trigger noises.

almamatters
01-02-16, 18:20
Does anyone else just want to scream when people are chewing/slurping? I don't know if this is a mental issue or just a very bad annoyance to me... Sometimes I can deal with it but other days it just drives me absolutely mad! But holy crap!!! Sorry to be trivial, but it is driving me crazy at the moment and I just had to vent to someone!!! :roflmao:Can anyone else relate to this??

I have developed a fear of noise and chewing really gets at me, I can't believe people can eat a bag of crisps so noisily, it really gets on my nerves. I know a lot of people without anxiety who get irritated by noisy eaters so perhaps it's not an anxiety issue. :shrug:

Carnation
01-02-16, 18:31
I've had this since I was a child. My Mum eats with her mouth open and slaps her food. It makes me cringe to point of leaving the room.
I thought I was abnormal, so I am pleased there are others like me. :ohmy:

Magic
01-02-16, 19:52
I feel the same way. Also people who cross their legs and one leg is going up and down all the time:mad:

Carnation
01-02-16, 20:02
Oh Magic, you would not like my Partner, he has restless leg syndrome and his legs are constantly going up and down; even in bed! It's a nightmare for me. :mad:

hyg
01-02-16, 22:41
Yep am with you on the noisy eating ! I can't stand bad table manners anyway but when my kids eat noisily I have to leave the table. My hubby was eating an a Apple next to me last nite and I wanted to punch him ! Maybe we 're just extra sensitive x

the_anxious_mind
02-02-16, 03:27
haha... I can relate to the wanting to punch people in the face. I would NEVER do that lol but I have total envisioned it!!! Btw, Fishmanpa, I am so glad you are okay now!!

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-16, 04:37
I went through it too for over a year. It's gone these days though.

I suspect it's about the more difficult stages of anxiety and as you recover it goes naturally. This was also the case for me with heightened hearing, bright lights, etc.

the_anxious_mind
02-02-16, 11:43
I went through it too for over a year. It's gone these days though.

I suspect it's about the more difficult stages of anxiety and as you recover it goes naturally. This was also the case for me with heightened hearing, bright lights, etc.

Terry, I have always had this annoyance! When I posted I was actually having to listen to someone slurp their cereal and scrape the bowl. Oh goodness!!! Haha too much!!! :roflmao: probably one of the more humorous quirks that I have. Haha! Hope you are well, you've helped me through quite a bit!!

GingerFish
02-02-16, 11:51
I don't mind the slurping noise but chewing I hate! Especially the sound of someone chewing gum. I'm not usually a violent person but not gonna lie, the urge is there when I hear someone chew gum really loudly! :roflmao:

Magic
02-02-16, 15:12
Carnation, Your partner can get medication for that.
My husband had restless legs, drove me up the wall.
He has medication now he is ok x

gregcool
02-02-16, 15:18
I hate this to...i want to hit that person who does this.drives me mad...

Tessar
02-02-16, 15:36
A colleague of mine who sits opposite me makes strange noises when they eat. It really gets on my nerves!!!! It can even make me cringe sometimes. Also they hum & mumble to themselves too.... I used to be able to ignore it but lately ( in true FMP style ) want to get up and tell them to SHUTUP!!!! I haven't visualised thumping them yet but give it time

faithfulone
02-02-16, 20:31
Glad to know I'm not the only one, this drives me crazy! (with or without anxiety)

KeeKee
03-02-16, 17:24
I was sitting on the bus earlier and somebody was heavy breathing behind me. I felt like turning around and telling him to shut up! I wish there was more information on this as I also have had this all my life yet I've 'only' had anxiety 34 months so don't think it's related in my case. It's horrible because to others it seems rude or pathetic being annoyed at noises others cannot help but it's not as simple as that.

Fishmanpa
03-02-16, 17:48
It's called Misophonia. There's plenty of info on it. There's even a forum.

Positive thoughts

lostbridget
03-02-16, 23:28
I get this too! It's absolutely infuriating and I've found that it gets worse depending on my mood. I even get paranoid about hearing myself chew!

rcs
04-02-16, 03:02
I have issues with Ambulance/Police sirens, Car horns and people being loud especially on mobile phones. It seems to trigger anxiety in me even though I know there is nothing I can do about it physically . Loud chewing has annoyed me in the past and so does people clearing there throat.
It can anger me to the point where I have to walk away to calm down ie fight or flight.
Living life in silent isolation is not the answer.
When very anxious I do suffer from tinnitus :mad:

MyNameIsTerry
04-02-16, 04:40
Terry, I have always had this annoyance! When I posted I was actually having to listen to someone slurp their cereal and scrape the bowl. Oh goodness!!! Haha too much!!! :roflmao: probably one of the more humorous quirks that I have. Haha! Hope you are well, you've helped me through quite a bit!!

Argh!!! Slurping! It's those little things that just make you rage inside sometimes.

Yes, thanks I'm well. I'm glad if anything helps so thanks, I really appreciate that.