PDA

View Full Version : Premonitions

bulan
02-02-16, 02:13
Help! I could use some perspecrive tonight... I read someone's story yesterday about how her premonition of doom actually saved her life. Of course, having PTSD and anxiety, I always have premonitions of doom, so now I assume my fears are all going to materialize. My anxiety hasn't been this bad in over a year... Please remind me that I'm being unrealistic...

My anxiety spills over into my family life too... I panicked tonight during my son's swimming lesson and during dinner too, when I thought he was choking. Also, my husband can't relax beside me as we watch our show... he actually told me my anxiety is so intense that it feels like I'm sitting here screaming, even though I've been perfectly quiet. But it does feel like I'm screaming inside, now that he mentions it... and I hate how awful and out of control I'm feeling.

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-16, 04:43
Hi bulan,

I suggest you head over to the OCD board and look at the threads by TomT and gatsby12. They have these issues inside their OCD and have had help & support in understand why the mind is doing things like this and why it means nothing.

I think those recent threads will help you.

One person's premonition is another's bias. I think TomT has explained a fair bit about this in the past and how it is explained in psychology.

bulan
02-02-16, 05:40
Thanks, Terry!

GingerFish
02-02-16, 11:56
I have this problem too, I've always put it down to a symptom of my OCD. Its truly terrifying. I keep thinking I can 'predict' these awful things that will happen to me or someone I love and that I am powerless to stop it, even if I give in to my OCD compulsions and of course, the dreaded situation never occurs but that goes for nothing with this type of anxiety. Its a very scary symptom and always makes me wonder if I have something more than OCD.