PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips?

jenni89
02-02-16, 07:44
So I've been suffering with ectopic beats since August of last year. An episode so bad came out of the blue one day and made me run to the hospital. An overnight stay and many tests later, I was sent home with an anxiety diagnosis. I wasn't having the weird beats at the hospital, however, they caught PACS on an EKG at my primary care doctors office months later. Said they'd refer me to a cardiologist originally, and then said that no referral was needed at the time. I am having a lot more good days lately, but I wish I could get over my fear of exercise!

I'd like to exercise but I'm terrified of getting my heart rate up, as this has caused ectopics. I'm afraid my rhythm is going to completely go haywire and I'll just die right there on the spot! I still fear something has been missed, since i have not had a stress test or more invasive test, not that i want more invasive tests. Can anybody relate to this or have any tips on how I can get over this fear?

Anxiousgirl23
02-02-16, 11:04
Im the same Jenni, i am so scared to do any exercise, even walking up the stairs in my home makes me uncomfortable.
I have had ecg, holter monitor fo 5 days and echocardiogram, but i keep doubting my mind because i havent had a stress test.
I really dont want to have a stress test but im doubting myself because i havent had one and feel like i should.
x

Seffie
12-02-16, 10:27
Hi Jenni can relate to everything you're going through. I do exercise though as I know it's the best thing to do. Maybe start small just walking at a comfortable pace, then gradually increase the rate slightly or do HIIT short bursts of faster walking interspersed with slightly longer moderate walking. This is a method that is supposed to improve your cardio fitness more efficiently. The bottom line is that you have to have faith in your heart and that this is what it is made to do. I have the same anxiety as you but I can exercise and raise my heart rate to around 120 beats per min and be ok but if I climb one flight of stairs my heart can start racing and pounding! I'm sure it's the anxiety added to the exertion that makes our hearts beat like this.
Have you had an exercise treadmill test? I think these are good for helping to reassure you that your heart can cope with exercise. However I know what you mean about your heart beating irregularly, it's one thing not to like your heart rate increasing but another if you get all weird beats thrown in, it's definitely a mind over matter situation and I think if you feel anxious before you start exercising these irregular beats are more likely.
Not sure I've been much help but I do understand completely how you feel.
Seffie x