PDA

View Full Version : chipped tooth is worrying me day and night

pepsi
02-02-16, 10:55
I am 41 years old & about 15 years ago I had an absess on my front tooth which resulted in a root canal since then the tooth has discoloured and is dead . I've never had a problem with it and it's been ok ..I had some terrible trauma anxiety when I went to the dentist a few years back I was in a spiral of fret and anxiety . Now I've chipped a small part of my dead tooth . I can't stop running my tongue over it and I'm really worried I don't know if I should go to the dentist...going makes me so Ill twitches anxiety the lot. Anyone else have a phobia or dentists ?tnx for reading ☺

Magic
02-02-16, 15:23
I don't have a phobia of the dentist. I have phobia of GPs surgeries:huh:
Just wanted to say that the same thing happened when I had a chipped tooth.
The tooth did not ache but it felt rough. I went to see my dentist, she said she could put it right by filling it. Because it was a back tooth I asked her to pull it out.
No problem for me. Hope you go on all right if you decide to see dentistx

pepsi
02-02-16, 20:00
Hi tnx for the reply . I've never had a good experience in the dentists ever ....it's only a tiny bit rough but it's annoying me worrying me .....giving me anxiety

MrsCav
03-02-16, 08:56
Meet your best friend! :yesyes: I am exactly the same!! I don't have a fear of the dentist as such, I have a fear of toothache and all the time going around in my head is 'you're going to get toothache'. I have incredibly weak teeth, I am someone who the drill and fill dentists of the 70's loved. Pretty much every tooth was filled before I left primary school. I don't ever remember toothache, but I know they where all filled and by the time I reached my late teens early 20's they had all become so weak they where starting to break .... add in jaw clenching with stress and, well, it's been a nightmare. I have all my front teeth but very few at the back upper and lower. My dentist is reluctant to give me dentures as he thinks it will make my jaw clenching worse. But he totally understands my GAD, his wife was pretty similar. I have a couple of broken back teeth that can't be fixed as such but they are temporary filled and they will start that way till the dreaded toothache does start ....... but then, it might never start!

So I would suggest going to the dentist, there are lots of other treatments they can do now. They can temporary fill or remould the shape of the tooth or permanent fill it with a white filling that super bonds to the tooth. My tongue has a mind of it's own and is constantly running against the broken/temp filled teeth to see if they are in pain .... drives me bonkers! But don't be put off by going, there are ways of fixing a broken tooth that don't always involve invasive treatment.

Magic
03-02-16, 14:24
I go to the hygienist every six months to have my teeth cleaned.
because my gums are receding I have to have injections, just for cleaning!
I would rather have this done to save my teeth rather than having false ones.
As MrsCav says things have altered a lot with dentists.