PDA

View Full Version : Very painful Sciatica

Libra
02-02-16, 14:38
Ive had Sciatica flare ups over 20 years with years inbetween them.Had one 5 weeks ago which was the sharp pain on standing or after lying down kind.It went away within 5 days.My flare ups tend to last 2-7 days...This time though, its been so painful ..Two days ago I felt the dull aching at point where thigh joins hip and knew it was going to flare..Sure enough it spread down outer thigh and onto shin and into foot. So much infact I was almost walking doubled over after sitting/lying down a while and its woken me up with the cramping type feel in calf and thigh.. Anyone had it severely like this ??

countrygirl
02-02-16, 15:43
Oh worse much worse! I have herniated lumbar discs and about 3 times a year my back goes big style. It takes me about 5 mins to actually get from sitting to standing and then I can only walk with a gait like a penguin with a pole up its bum:)

My flares usually last for about 3 weeks with the first 7 days being the worst.
Everyone has different things that help them.

I find heat pads loosen the muscles in the back. Nothing helps the leg pain ( I don't always get leg pain) and trying to walk makes me much much worse in the first week and slows down my recovery. But everyone is different.

Dr's generally say if no improvement after 6 weeks then you need a scan but until then they will only give pain relief.

I see a chiropractor for acupuncture, utrasound and mobilisation during the attacks and I do improve faster with this than if I don't see him.

You have my sympathy. Can you turn over in bed or get out of bed as I find thats agony.

alvarius
02-02-16, 15:53
I had this badly 2 years ago - only thing that touched it was gabapenthin, which worked brilliantly! then get yourself to physio, its a long road to recovery but gradual steps in physio will get you there.

Good luck!

Libra
02-02-16, 21:22
Many thanks for your replies.. I seem to have hot water bottles on my back and legs all day !!. Using Muscle rub too.. Im bending forward to walk which seems to help a little but must stop that as will affect other muscles

Libra
03-02-16, 14:42
[quote Countrygirl)
You have my sympathy. Can you turn over in bed or get out of bed as I find thats agony.[/QUOTE]

I can sit on edge of bed without too much discomfort but soon as I put feet on floor I feel the pressure and have to hobble. When I get back in bed, the pain has been starting up in shin bone and ankle. It takes about half hour to try and find a position to get comfy again enough to sleep ok.