PDA

View Full Version : Meningitis on campus, really scared HELP!

BetheRugbyball
03-02-16, 19:15
I've talked about this a lot in the chat, about a week ago a student came down with meningococal septaceamia. Which I know is rare, especially here. But since then four more people are in hospital (unconfirmed on whether it's a precaution or not, the university isn't telling us anything!)

I know I'm the last person who should worry, I've never lived in dorms and I'm in second year now. But if it happened to them what's to stop it happening to me?? Were they just unlucky or are the risk factors?? I'm being self-centered, but I haven't slept properly since and I freak out over every cough and twinge of pain I feel. Someone please talk some sense into me!

We're having a night out tomorrow, I really want to go out and enjoy it but I'm terrified of being around people who live in the dorms until I get the vaccine. It doesn't help that I'm very close with the people who live in the flat where the little outbreak started!

Leslie735
04-02-16, 01:38
When I was in high school a boy passed away from meningitis. I was worried like you are. Nobody else got it, thankfully. There were scares though.

Blonde123
04-02-16, 10:15
In the uk we've started immunising against men b. Can you get your jabs over there for added protections?

uru
04-02-16, 11:34
In the uk we've started immunising against men b. Can you get your jabs over there for added protections?

I think Wales is in the UK. :winks:

Blonde123
04-02-16, 13:17
haha never looked at that!!

BetheRugbyball
04-02-16, 15:58
I'm getting the jab next Thursday (a week from today) I'm worried I'll go back to self harming waiting tbh -_- but then again, if everyone else had it then hopefully herd immunity will protect me :blush: