PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack at Work

MayaH
03-02-16, 22:01
Today I had (another) panic attack at work that lasted for about ten minutes. The symptoms were I became very tearful, MAJOR disassociation (to the point where I had to go to the bathroom for five minutes), feeling weak and dizzy (particularly afterwards) and feeling like I couldn't breathe until I was on my own and could calm it down properly. I didn't have nay chest pain/heart palpitations/feeling sick although I did get very hot and felt shaky. I felt really weak afterwards but I've had so many panic attacks now that I'm used to it so I can carry on working after :(. Are these types of panic attacks atypical? These are the more frequent panic attacks I get - I always come close to crying and often cry uncontrollably during them, the hyperventilation is often bad but the disassociation/detachment is the worst symptom. I've had them where I simply 'space out' for about twenty minutes, I'm so anxious I can't talk and my only symptoms are weakness, feeling faint and dizzy, crying or almost crying and hyperventilation and disassociation/detachment. Are these definitely panic attacks? Has anyone had similar? Just looking for reassurance I guess.

faithfulone
04-02-16, 02:36
I usually get very weak and dizzy, feeling like I might pass out. Usually my heart races, I get hot and shaky. My symptoms at this time are a little different in that this time I kept thinking it was my blood sugar dropping. I even bought a meter to check it often. But, yes your symptoms seem very typical of panic attacks. I usually don't cry, but it's because I'm too busy panicking......but I hear that others do cry. I'm glad you were able to take a quick break and continue working. Panic attacks at work are difficult and the fact that you are able to work through it is a big positive!

GingerFish
05-02-16, 08:58
Those sound like typical panic attacks, especially since they pass within 10 mins. Its common to feel weak, teary, dizzy and overall crap mentally and physically crap after a panic attack.

Mike_NY
08-02-16, 18:33
I had a major panic attack at work last week. I just didn't feel right all day and I knew a panic attack was on the cards so I went home sick at lunchtime. When I was walking down a busy street in New York to get the train home, boom, panic attack. I thought I was gonna drop dead in the middle of the street. Blurry vision, head spinning, legs like jelly, depersonilzation and just sheer terror.

For some reason, when I go to the canteen in work, it seems to trigger my anxiety. I was just down there 30 minutes ago and as soon as I walked in my legs turned to jelly and I thought I was gonna fall over. I just kept taking deep breaths, got my lunch and got the hell out of there. I've been totally anxiety free the past couple of months and it has just come back all of a sudden. It sucks. :unsure:

faithfulone
09-02-16, 01:59
I had a major panic attack at work last week. I just didn't feel right all day and I knew a panic attack was on the cards so I went home sick at lunchtime. When I was walking down a busy street in New York to get the train home, boom, panic attack. I thought I was gonna drop dead in the middle of the street. Blurry vision, head spinning, legs like jelly, depersonilzation and just sheer terror.

For some reason, when I go to the canteen in work, it seems to trigger my anxiety. I was just down there 30 minutes ago and as soon as I walked in my legs turned to jelly and I thought I was gonna fall over. I just kept taking deep breaths, got my lunch and got the hell out of there. I've been totally anxiety free the past couple of months and it has just come back all of a sudden. It sucks. :unsure:

I know at this time if I had to walk down a busy street in New York I would definitely panic.....glad you make it through to the train. That's discouraging I know to be anxiety free for that amount of time and it show up again.......sorry to hear that. I know at times it's hard to predict the trigger.

Mike_NY
09-02-16, 02:13
I know at this time if I had to walk down a busy street in New York I would definitely panic.....glad you make it through to the train. That's discouraging I know to be anxiety free for that amount of time and it show up again.......sorry to hear that. I know at times it's hard to predict the trigger.

It came back 2 weeks ago at the gym, I had been running pretty steady for a good 40 minutes, pushing myself to the 5 mile marker, but after about 4 mile in, I started to get blurry vision and thought I was gonna fall off the treadmill. I still had lots of energy, but high heart rate or something must have triggered it again. Ever since I've been battling panic and bouts of derealizaion. I keep getting these moments where I am like "what am I doing here, this doesn't feel real" and it didn't help that I didn't get a decent sleep all week. I worked from home on Friday to catch up on some sleep and I've definitely felt better since. Today I almost felt anxiety free even though I haven't had much sleep, thank God.

faithfulone
09-02-16, 02:37
Glad you feeling better. Makes sense high heart rate could have triggered it, caffeine will do the same to me and being tired with little sleep.

Mike_NY
09-02-16, 03:23
Glad you feeling better. Makes sense high heart rate could have triggered it, caffeine will do the same to me and being tired with little sleep.

Thank you. I've learned to control and accept it for
The most part, that's the only reason I've been able to make it go away. Ignoring it.