PDA

View Full Version : Muscles twitching, body going nuts.

Scaredme
04-02-16, 11:08
Hey,

Long story as short as I can.

I'm 34 years old and I started having palps 6 years ago, and that made me have anxiety. I've been visiting a therapist for about 2 years no, and felt I've been making progress.

½ year ago, I "finally" broke down and told my therapist, that I've been sexually abused when I was 7 years old for about ½ year by a older brother. No one has ever known about it.

1 month ago, I started having twitching in my muscles - first it was only my eyelid. That stopped, and now its randomly in all my body. Almost constantly!

I gathered all my strength and told to my mother 14 days ago, about the sexual abuse, and she was obviously horrified. I still need to have a talk with my older brother, that I still see occationally.

Now, my therapist and wife tells me, that the twitching is "just" stress, and not some horrible condition like als or ms, but I'm so terrified.

I visited my doctor before xmas when the eyelid was going nuts, and he just told me, that is was nothing to worry about.

I can't sleep at night - when I fall asleep I wake shocked and soo scared. My whole body is trebling!

I'm seriously loosing the will to live here! Do you think I should be worried?:weep::weep::weep:

Scaredme

KeeKee
04-02-16, 11:16
I get twitching a whole lot. Everywhere too. The soles of my feet feels the strangest. I've been told on more than one occasion by my GP it's nothing to worry about. If it was ALS/MS you'd have other symptoms apparently.
It's probably high stress as I noticed mine decreased when I was okish in September/October time.

Arietis
04-02-16, 11:22
Yup, i get the twitchy muscle thing. Its mainly my legs and arms, but I can get it anywhere. Its just teeny tiny spasms not big jerks. I've been told by many people its just stress/anxiety and it can keep me awake a lot too.

Lifelonganxiety!
04-02-16, 17:09
My calves and foot arches twitch all the time. Have done for 20 years. Not so much that I always feel it, but you can always see it. I get other twitches all over my body too. Sometimes an eyelid for a week or so, then my armpit, my thigh twitched mightily for a week as well.

These twitches all come and go (except the legs, lol) but the point is after 20 years I'm still here, no muscles have died and I'm going strong. Twitching can and most often IS benign. A symptom of anxiety, too much caffeine, too much stress, not enough vitamins etc...

I'm really sorry about your abuse, I hope you get the counseling you need for that and can continue living a healthy productive life. Just be assured that your twitching is nothing to worry about, and is in fact a by-product of you worrying.

Take care.

Scaredme
05-02-16, 06:31
Thank you guys sooooo much! It really does help abit :)

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-16, 07:19
This is a very common anxiety symptom. At my worst I had a lot of it and you will see people say how there arms or legs just seemed to "fly out".

It's also a well known sleep phenomena. Hypnic Jerks. So, if it happening as you are falling asleep or during the first two hours of sleep (Hypnagogia phase) or upon waking (Hypnopompia phase) then it can happen to anyone, and it's not connected to anxiety although anxiety is known to increase the frequency.

I found this is a symptom, like many, that goes away as you bring your overall anxiety levels down on a more regular basis. Others have said the same, as KeeKee has also said.

I'm really sorry to hear what you have experienced and I hope you can work through this and so can your family.

WorryWortAgain
05-02-16, 12:46
Benign fasciculation syndrome...check it out.

Sparkling_Fairy
05-02-16, 19:23
Yep, this was my first stress symptom and caused all my anxiety. It's also was taught me not to Google my symptoms 'cause it sent me into a frenzy. And so much of that could've been avoided if I'd just sucked it up and asked my GP about it.
After 6 months of constant muscle twitches, I finally got over my anxiety and the twitches have disappeared for the most part. Whenever I get worked up over something I start twitching again, but most days I don't have it anymore.
Nothing to worry about. Just really annoying!

And in terms of ALS, twitching is usually one of the later symptoms. You would have had others first. And at 34 years old, it would be extremely unlikely you have ALS.
Same for MS. Not the age, but definitely a later symptom, so you would have noticed others by now.

Scaredme
12-02-16, 21:59
The replied help a lot. I've read them over and over to try and convince myself that you guys are right. My mind however, keeps going "what if??".

I'm just now, spinning into a panic attach, cuz there twitches are still ongoing in my hands and especially my legs. Could it be ms, Parkinsons or some other really bad thing.

I've taken another oxapax to help sleep. With my luck, I'll be addictive to them soon :(

I ****ing hate this shit!!!!!

Symptoms so far within last 4 years:
Massive palps
Numb fingers when I wake
Headache for 2 weeks
Twitches
Restless legs
Panic attach
Constant worries
depressing mood

Lifelonganxiety!
12-02-16, 22:16
I've had all those symptoms you mention, and I'm still here.

It's hard to ignore twitching because it's so obvious and you can even see it. The thing is though, it's also VERY common in anxiety and as mentioned above, benign fasiculation syndrome. Hopefully you've looked into that as well, it might explain a lot of what you have!

Try to calm down about it, maybe grow to accept the twitching (and even enjoy it which sometimes I do!). Feel free to message me if you need to talk about it, I've had plenty of experience with twitches!!

Leslie735
13-02-16, 13:36
I get all over body twitching and have for a while. A week ago my eyelid was twitching for almost 4 days straight. Last night one of my butt cheeks was going. Its from stress/anxiety.

I'm really sorry to hear about your past. I hope you get some help with that so you can mentally move on. *hugs*

Scaredme
22-02-16, 15:01
Its been 4 weeks now, with twitches and spasms. I'm really going nuts. When I'm in bed at night, me legs feels like small ants are crawling inside my veins, a twitch comes here and there, mostly in the legs aswell. !!!!!!!!!!

I've just had a full blown influenza, with 4 days in bed, and now I'm recovering on my 3rd day out of the bed. My legs still feel week and restless.

I really wish I could truly believe and trust that it is nothing to worry about. I really do!

I'm sorry, but it's getting to me. I'm so afraid that it's ms, even though My doctor said, that he didn't think that it was that.

Why do I have this shit, and why can't I trust what people say to me????!!!!!?!?

I'm a mess