PDA

View Full Version : Night Panic Attack

glassgirlw
04-02-16, 13:44
I've been suffering from panic attacks again for the last few weeks. Haven't been sleeping great at night, sometimes wake up and heart starts racing but am able to calm down fairly quickly and go back to sleep.

Last night woke up and heart started racing faster than usual and I wasn't necessarily "short of breath" just felt like I couldn't take a deep breath. I could tell I was breathing faster than normal so I tried to calm the breathing as best I could. It lasted probably 30-45 minutes because I was so focused on my breathing I think it was making me not let go of the panic.

Now today I feel kind of unfocused in my head and tired, a little shaky. Just looking for some reassurance to see if any of you have experienced this?

As a side note I did have an EKG back in March which was normal and have been to the GP twice in the last 2 weeks for daytime panic attacks -- they examined me and said anxiety too.

Xtrastrongbint
04-02-16, 21:29
Hi! I would say classic symptoms of a panic/anxiety attack! The problem with panic is that you concentrate on the panicking and it makes it worse (this is why lots of panickers hyperventilate which makes them feel ill and then they panic and the vicious circle of panic continues). Obviously if you are worried go back to the docs...has he suggested anything for coping/cbt/meds? Hope you feel better :hugs:

glassgirlw
05-02-16, 02:19
Yeah. They prescribed escitalopram but I took one pill and panicked....have a real issue with meds of any kind. Started seeing a therapist this week but have only had one visit so far. This was the first attack I've had where I really hyperventilated so it definitely freaked me out. Now I am anxious this evening that it will happen again tonight and I could sure use a good night's sleep!! :)

GingerFish
05-02-16, 08:48
I experience this a lot, especially during times of great stress. I don't panic much during the day but as soon as I start sleeping, boom they all hit me. I wake up pretty much the way you described and those panics feel a lot worse than any day time panics because you have that dazed half sleeping feeling on top of it. When I get it now, I can usually calm myself within a min or two and then go back to sleep but back in the day it would take me nearly an hour to feel comfortable to even think of sleep again. My heart pounding was the worst symptom for me because it would be dead silent in my room and all I could hear was my heartbeat and worrying about it only made it beat quicker and quicker

lfc65
06-02-16, 20:22
The night attacks are far,far more common than day ones for me. The best way I can describe it is waking up suddenly and my whole body feels "wired" like electricity is running through it. Heart pounding and difficulty breathing. Luckily I have a very understanding hubby who calms me down. He does suffer with having his sleep interrupted though ��

ankietyjoe
07-02-16, 12:10
Same for me. I have my normal panic attacks under control and have done for a few years. I cannot control the night time attacks though, and it always coincides with stressful periods (for me).

I usually wake up between 3-5am from a dream (not always bad) and within 20-30 seconds my heart is banging away at 140bpm. I can sort myself out like you do, just breathe slowly and remind myself all the tools I taught myself, but they are always scary because of the 'this time it's different' voice in your head! :doh: