PDA

View Full Version : New here and coping with worsening agoraphobia.

BellaLune
04-02-16, 19:21
I'm not new to agoraphobia but it has never been this bad before and i'm so scared that it will never improve again.

For years I could only go out with my husband but I felt mostly fine when I did go and never had any fear about doing it then just over 2 months ago my whole world came crashing down for no reason.

We went out as usual one morning and I felt very anxious then had a severe panic attack, I wasn't too worried at that point because I was sure I'd be fine again soon as I had been in the past.

I wasn't fine though, from that day on anxiety and panic attacks have rattled through me 24/7, I wake constantly with it and sit crippled for hours by fear and anxiety.

Going out has got so much harder, I do make myself go but despite doing that and knowing that anxiety cannot harm me I never feel even slightly better, even the thought of going out scares me.

It's like a constant feeling of fear and then waves of panic symptoms, I accept it, I don't fight it and I make myself stay in places but I'm getting nowhere, even when the panic symptoms are less I still feel scared and overwhelmed.

I don't even know what I'm scared of, it's just there all the time.

I was put on Diazepam 17 years ago, of course it no longer helps even with a slightly increased dose, I am very scared of new meds but know I have to think about it now, my CPN was supposed to call today to let me know when I can expect a home visit from the consultant but she didn't.

I am reeling from how much of my life I have lost so suddenly, I can barely function even at home but the agoraphobia getting worse hurts the most, I cry for hours every day because this is awful and I am doing all I can to keep trying but I feel like this will never end.

I am having CBT online, it's early days though as I'm only 2 sessions in so I don't know how helpful that will be yet.

I just don't know what to do anymore, it's breaking my heart and I'm struggling to cope with it all.

vicky23
05-02-16, 10:57
Poor thing it really is such an awful condition.
You're definitely doing the right thing by continuing to go out even just little trips make a huge difference.
Have you tried relaxation techniques? There's a load you can try, in my experience it's the first thing therapist give you is a relaxation CD I've collected a few in my time haha They don't take the anxiety away but they can take the edge off.
Keep looking forward you're doing fantastic pushing on like you are when all you want to do is hide under the covers!
Best wishes

X

MargaretHale
14-02-16, 00:11
Hi there,

I'm the same. I have been struggling with panic attacks which eventually turned into agoraphobia about 5 yrs ago.

Initially I could get out alone, it was horrible but I could do it. Now I am struggling to get out at all. I have constant anxiety and panic. I have a toddler which makes life really hard. I'm re-reading the Claire Weeks books but I can't get any help from my GP (I waited a year for online CBT which didn't work in the tech sense, so they put me to the back of the queue again) and I have no one to talk to, no friends anymore..I feel like I live my life online my partner was great initially but now he is bored of it all and snaps at me constantly and blames me for anything that goes wrong.

Just wanted to say hi and that you're not alone. x

Allicloud
15-08-16, 04:41
I think trying a new medication could be very beneficial for you even (along with some natural remedies and diet). I was scared of starting Zoloft and it took me weeks to finally swallow a pill, but I'm glad I did.

Bonnibelle
31-08-16, 07:04
Hello,

I went through a trauma 4 years ago. It led to me developing anxiety and agoraphobia. I worked hard on my agoraphobia and after about 18 months things improved. I got out alone and even faced all my appointments again I was so proud. Everything I avoided I could do again. Life was better. Then last November I became ill with an underactive thyroid and chronic fatigue. I was very poorly and struggling with alot of symptoms that would caused me to rest alot. I lost my confidence and fear of how ill I felt took over. I had a panic attack at a nurses appointment having yet again more blood taken and wham it was back with a vengeance.

Since that day getting out has been much harder but my illness has also played a huge roll. I now can't do appointments at all, my gp has visit my house if he's wanted to see me or do more tests. I can't go far alone with the children now. I hate going in shops again. I will go but feel anxious in there. I rarely go in shops without my husband though. Occasionally I do with just the children. It's all been a huge loss in confidence.

I have found this relapse tough. My gp says I have cfs and a thyroid issue which of course has made me stink at home which has will let anxiety and agoraphobia back in.

I've had some therapy recently to help me gain my confidence again. I'm finding it beneficial.

You aren't alone. Having 3 children I've found it so hard having to work at this again but I've done it before and I am again. Mine is due to a fear of being weak and ill when out the house. If it's a fear of panic attacks I found that a little easier to work on. Claire weekes audio cds are so encouraging.

I've made progress. I took my children on holiday this year again and we've had days out this summer. Now it's a case of on my days I don't feel as unwell challenging the shops, driving and eventually appointments. It is a challenge but try the audios and also a book called Dare is very good for agoraphobia. Claire weekes has a book specifically for agoraphobia.

I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

B x

Debs21uk
31-08-16, 18:54
Www.agoraphobiacured.com is quite helpful. It's basically a guys story of how he used Claire Weekes books to overcome his agoraphobia.

I am agoraphobic now and my fear is having panic attacks, I've not had one in 12yrs but the thought alone terrifies me. I try to go out even for 15minutes in the car to get out or pop to the corner shop, I've not built up anything further than that but I start cbt tomorrow so I hope I can make some progress.

Best wishes, we're all here with you x

Saltlick
03-09-16, 12:59
It could possibly be from the medication as well, you might want to talk to your doc about getting off it. Benzos can backfire on you and cause anxiety after a while.

skymaid
03-09-16, 13:27
cbt should work quite well agoraphobia. I successfully went from barely making a 200yard walk to flying to portugal for a week holiday.

Gradual exposure seems to work quite well although its very hard work and you have to be prepared for some set backs (and dont push yourself too hard or you'll set yourself back).

I'd say if you're on diazepam for that long and its not working then you're probably tolerant to it. It's possible its even increasing your anxiety now. I'm not a doctor though so only they can really advise you on that.7

For me distraction is everything. When you're working through the exposure (walking 200 yards, then building up to the local shop, then the park or whatever). If you feel the anxiety symptoms coming on then visualize a stop sign in your mind, tell yourself you're safe and nothing will happen to you and then try and look at the flowers, or read the signs or car number plates or whatever. Anything you can come up with distracts you. I usually only need to distract myself for 20 mins or so and the anxiety starts to fade a bit.

As i said though it is hard work and i still seem to be getting random days of just feeling overwhelmed with anxiety for no reason (usually after a bad sleep).

jillybee40
19-09-16, 23:47
I used to believe Diazepam was my sanctuary, I was so frightened of coming off it and frightened of other meds. After years of taking it though I was getting more and more anxious and adding to my fears, frightened to be left alone and more, I was already Agoraphobic and housebound.
So when the doctor said it was time to start coming off Diazepam I thought I'd never survive the anxiety etc.
I started taking Paroxetine (though there are better meds out there now) to help me through weaning off Diazepam, literally reduced by 1mg every 3-4 weeks and after a few weeks things were definately better and from then on remained better, not healed of the Agoraphobia but not having Panic over and over.

I now know the Diazepam gave me the symptons after a while of taking it and as I'd increased the dose over the years it became a bit of a cycle. Hope this helps