PDA

View Full Version : Can i get sacked at work because of my anxiety?

elibabez
04-02-16, 19:16
Well i have an ongoing issue
i volunteer, i still class it as work
i love volunteering, as i am a genuinely nice girl who puts everyone first and i love giving back to society
however, the manager here just flips out at me
well there are two managers, and whilst they have never directly shouted at me
there have been many instances of them being moody towards me, and its just really unfair

i always turn up early, smile at customers, offer to help with any jobs that need doing in the store

yet i always feel unappreciated

and today, the assistant manager, who ive told him i have anxiety, and thus explaining why sometimes i can be paranoid said ``well just think to yourself, that people arent always neccesarly angry with you, and think before you make decisions about hassling me when im trying to count up the till``.

those were his exact words

now this assistant manager is leaving at the end of this month

but the other manager im worried he will tell him to get rid of me because i am too much of a hassle or something :wacko:

i dont know what to do

i love volunteering at this place as its my social life, most of the staff there are lovely

but the managers, who seem to view me as totally replacable and non dependable as they have loads of volunteers, just seem to treat me like garbage, and flip out on me when theyve had a bad day

i am not sure if quitting is an option, because i do love the staff and customers and enjoy the work i do

plus im relying on the manager here to give me a reference when a good paid work opportunity comes up,
as because of my anxiety, my previous work history/resume is poor to non existent

i dont know what i should do,
are there any hotlines i can call or something

any replies appreciated or suggestions

Annie0904
04-02-16, 21:46
I am not sure how this works with you being a volunteer as I assume that would mean you do not have a contract of work?

wubu
04-02-16, 23:34
i deeply respect my volunteers as they don't have to work for free!! its their choice.

It's true that people wouldn't be angry just at you, this sounds like more your paranoia. What your assistant manager said was a touch insensitive, probably a good thing his leaving.

Maybe have a private chat with your store manager and express your feelings, i say to my guys i can't help resolve a problem if i don't know it exists.

You're doing a great job by the sounds of it, don't quit because of what you think might happen.

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-16, 04:47
Even with a contract you can be dismissed on health grounds but it has to pass through a Capability process for this and these processes are long & winding as they are aimed at helping you improve to stay. The only exceptions to that tend to be redundancy/retirement on medical grounds or if the process itself will be too traumatic.

In any voluntary position, you won't have a contract protecting your rights in this way. So, I would imagine they can simply let anyone go and no notice will be required.

But why would they? Because you have anxiety? Charities actively promote voluntary work to people with physical & mental health problems, so you could be one of many they have! There is no need to disclose this, like with a works contract where it might be important to your role, because you are doing them a favour...for free. So, as long as your work is up to the standard they require and you conduct yourself well as you do, they should have no reason to let you go unless the work dries up.

The first part of the assistant manager's advice is good. The second part suggests you do something that bothers them when you don't need to and only they can tell you that. The second could also be invalid anyway since they are there to support you and manage the place so should be there when you need them so if they think you are asking for help you shouldn't need, they need to specify the issue and help you sort it out.