PDA

View Full Version : panic?..mmm..i dont know

star_light294
24-09-04, 14:47
dear PAUL
could you tell me why when i get anxious i have to move my jaw out and breath out real hard to get my ears to squelch....it is the weirdest feeling its like im locked inside myself and i have to open mouth and push air out to get ears to squelch....then everytime i do this finally they block and wont squelch at all...i feel like im smothering and its all because of the ears and the way i breath...i seem to breath real fast...and sometimes real deep or other times too high or shallow...why do i have to keep moving my jaw to get air properly...ive had a spirometer that said i have excellent lung capacity...its almost like an air hungry feeling...or like my jaw is locked and pressing on my throat somehow causing a discomfort and feeling of smothering...i had an ent visit and had hearing test that said my e/tubes were functioning yet i keep feeling like they are opened somehow and causing lots of breathing problems...my throat also tightens and that causes me to gag...like i said ive had numerous tests that say everything is okay...could this be my lungs?...i do believe i hyperventilate but i have found nothing written that says that that would cause this ear/throat problem im having....its almost like imgetting too much air COULD ANXIETY AND PANIC CAUSE THIS?[:o)][:I]
please help me if you can and thank you in advance
helen

hh

tt
24-09-04, 15:48
Hi Sorry, I am not Paul,
But you are having panic attacks and it is that you are breathing too much air. When we panic our bodies shoots off adrenaline so that if you needed to run you would have the air to run. When you don't use this air this is the feeling you get. If you were to get up and run you would not feel this way. The feeling in your ears, I get as well and I feel the tension crawling up the sides of my head ears etc. I do feel like I need to crack my jaw or open my mouth or feel my jaw is going to lock up.
It is all panic and tension. Do continue when you feel this to take deep
abdominal breaths and breath out slowly.

Good luck,
TT:)

Sue
24-09-04, 17:24
Sorry I am not Paul either!

Before I was first diagnosed with having panic, my doctor and another told me that I had inner ear problems after describing similar symtoms to those that you describe.

Try to breathe as TT suggests

sal
24-09-04, 18:50
Hi

At least the test came back so you know there is nothing seriously wrong. Panic attacks can cause numerous physical symptoms including all the ones you have described.

What are you trying to do to relax? And how do you feel after a panic attack has passed. Is there anything you could do when you feel like that to preoccupy your mind on something completely different.

Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
24-09-04, 20:13
Hi Helen

Not sure which Paul you wanted to reply to but we are here for u.

It has to be panic/anxiety if the ENT clinic all was ok. It is quite common to get the throat swallowing thing.

Can you try some relaxation tapes to see if that helps.

Nicola