PDA

View Full Version : Cheers daily mail

white1989
05-02-16, 09:58
I'm so fed up of the daily mail publishing articles which are nothing but toxic hell for HA suffers. I've just gone on for a browse this morning and only to be greeted with an article entitled 'the 10 red flag symptoms experts reveal that mean YOU could have cancer' - I know I shouldn't have clicked on it but sometimes you just can't help yourself. I really don't understand how they can get away with posting this kind of stuff just to cause the nation to panic, reading 'a persistent headache that doesn't go away with painkillers could well be a sign of a brain tumour' is really not what I need right now. does anyone else get annoyed by this? We all know what the signs of cancer are, and if we don't there are doctors that we can go to to seek out this sort of information and I really don't feel its necessary for the daily mail to publish this sort of stuff.

LilGsMama
05-02-16, 10:11
I've had some of my worst triggers from the Daily Mail! A close friend also went through a scare last year and what she read in the DM fuelled her fear.. and she doesn't suffer HA.

I stay away from the news/media when I'm feeling rubbish, as exposure to certain stories fuels my already wild imagination x :hugs:

KeeKee
05-02-16, 10:11
Yes I get annoyed by the dailymail, in fact there was article on there the other day about a girl with a brain tumour which freaked me out. I saw the article you mentioned and I've purposefully avoided it as I don't want to worry.
Also if you're worried about a persistent headache that doesn't go away with painkillers it could well be a migraine.

LilGsMama
05-02-16, 10:13
Do you think that they get off on causing panic? GPs must LOVE them, their waiting rooms filling with people who read something in the DM :o

Blonde123
05-02-16, 10:26
The daily mail and papers like it are papers which sensationalise the facts in order to grab people's attention and pay for the paper. However the only ever tell a portion of the truth, none of the truth or totally screw with the truth. The amount of times I've argued with my in laws because they believe what's in these papers is untrue. Steer clear and stick to factual newspaper if such a thing exists or websites supported by the nhs! Don't worry about it white and littlegsmama your true, gps and us nurses hate it when patients come in to tell us about something they read in the paper. I don't think I've ever heard anything that was remotely near the truth. Argggg rant over haha x

LilGsMama
05-02-16, 10:34
The daily mail and papers like it are papers which sensationalise the facts in order to grab people's attention and pay for the paper. However the only ever tell a portion of the truth, none of the truth or totally screw with the truth. The amount of times I've argued with my in laws because they believe what's in these papers is untrue. Steer clear and stick to factual newspaper if such a thing exists or websites supported by the nhs! Don't worry about it white and littlegsmama your true, gps and us nurses hate it when patients come in to tell us about something they read in the paper. I don't think I've ever heard anything that was remotely near the truth. Argggg rant over haha x

Lol Blonde.. I hear you! I do admin in a medical centre and have spent the past few years telling patients off for believing everything they read and for Googling! They phone and say "I Googled and this is what I have".. I did CBT for HA 4 years ago and have just had a relapse, won't be able to tell them off so much when I go back! xx :blush:

Blonde123
05-02-16, 10:42
Haha little. And then we come home and Google our symptoms and say in our heads...this is what I have hehe

SarahCap
05-02-16, 11:21
Hello, I haven't read all of the comments but this is a big trigger for me! I started by hiding them on facebook and not letting myself use google etc to browse and now I have removed the app from my phone so I can only browse when I am on high alert and feeling positive.

Not really very helpful but your not alone I am entirely the same! Reading my mums take a break as a teen I am sure started my HA. lol x

Kirbear4
05-02-16, 14:44
I read this too! I don't know why I do it to myself, it certainly didn't ease my bowel cancer concerns! xx

debs71
05-02-16, 15:25
The Daily Mail is notorious for these types of scaremongering health items/stories.

One minute they say stuff like 'breast milk is best', the next they say 'breast milk may make your baby asthmatic'.

They also have stories like ' I thought I had a bad back, but it was Malaria'.....that sort of utter tripe!

I gave up reading them, as they just create anxiety and you never know if you are coming or going.

white1989
05-02-16, 16:17
I'm so glad you all agree guys, its so frustrating!! debs, I totally agree that they contradict themselves constantly, you cant do right for doing wrong by their standards! apparently the only way to stay alive according to the daily mail is to lock yourself in a box, never have children, don't eat anything and sip on water for the rest of your life lol x

countrygirl
05-02-16, 17:09
And they often don't even get the facts straight either! I remember one article on thyroid problems and they had got their hypo and hyper mixed up so the article was nonesense but only someone in the know would have realised. They also miss out alot of other relevant info about someones symptoms because then it would not be newsworthy.

GP's hate the Daily Mail, mine plays merry h about it:)

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-16, 05:33
When I see threads like this I always think of Russell Howard's sketch about DM's "possible causes of cancer".

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTu7GLfrmUI

It's a laugh and just shows you how stupid some of the things that have been printed are. As a flavour of what is in this vid, it says 'being a man' and 'being a woman' at one point. Dogs even get a feature :woof:roflmao:

uru
06-02-16, 08:29
The daily mail is a fear machine....

Which is perhaps why it's the most read newspaper in the UK.

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 ----------

apparently the only way to stay alive according to the daily mail is to lock yourself in a box, never have children, don't eat anything and sip on water for the rest of your life lol x

Not so fast. The DM has NUMEROUS articles on how drinking water is bad for your health. Too much, sparkling, tap water, fluoride, etc etc

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-16, 08:32
Don't forget those mutant rats coming over from Europe...taking the jobs of our "British" rats :roflmao:

Fishmanpa
06-02-16, 16:13
The bottom line is we have control over what we decide to read or ignore. The Google Gun is a powerful weapon!

Positive thoughts

LilGsMama
06-02-16, 16:45
I've decided to never read the DM :D

valleybear
06-02-16, 17:21
I stopped buying papers years ago as the panic headlines led to me having weeks of anxiety and panic attacks, constantly worrying and obsessing. I saw the Newspaper tag on my phone about this and just skipped over it..just don't read them any more! Wish that I could be so resolute about refraining from Googling symptoms lol ! The Mail is so bad for this, but the Others are not much better so I avoid them all! Xx

LilGsMama
06-02-16, 19:42
Valleybear - I've only been on here for 2 and a half weeks but now when I'm tempted to Google I come straight on to here.. probably why I'm always on! X