PDA

View Full Version : Remembering To Practice Claire Weekes Advice

HeadInAJar
05-02-16, 10:47
Hi all,

I'm a long time OCD sufferer that has, for the most part, come through a lot of his OCD via CBT, Acceptance and Claire Weekes method but there is something that continually seems to trip me up. Remembering to do it.

I know that accepting the anxiety symptoms as they come on, relaxing (or floating) through them works as Ive done it, but sometimes when the hot flash of panic comes, it takes me awhile to think straight and remember to do this. I practice mindfulness and continually reread Dr Weekes books each morning while I wait for my metabolism to help shift my morning anxiety. Ive even thought about "acceptance" all day long for days on end, in the hope that if anxiety hit, it wouldnt be far from my mind to accept it. Ive only had fleeting success with any of these techniques.

Please dont read this as that I am scared of anxiety coming etc, Im not particularly, Im just looking for a way to prime myself so that when it comes, I can think about acceptance so much sooner and therefore see it through more effectively, if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I really cant think of any other way I can integrate this acceptance into my life any more than I have at the moment.

LiveAboveIt
09-02-16, 23:25
It comes with practice, I assure you. Write important facts down that you can read when you are having a panic attack. MAKE SURE TO READ IT. This does help if you follow through. It will be a message from your thinking self that was written when you were not in the midst of panic. Make sure to include quotes that ring true to you from the book.

PanchoGoz
10-02-16, 14:31
Yeah it's a good idea to have a flashcard in the early stages, then all you have to remember is "flashcard"!

HeadInAJar
11-02-16, 10:34
Thanks for the replies :).

Yes I understand what you are saying, I've been at this for years now. As I said, I read a chapter of her books every morning while having breakfast, its just making that acceptance response even more automatic. I just feel I've plateaued in that Im not making more progress.

Arietis
11-02-16, 10:43
Just ordered one of her books, I really hope it helps as I see so many positive things about it on here :)

HeadInAJar
11-02-16, 17:53
Her books are among the best Ive read Arietis. You might like to buy her cds too, great to listen to when relaxing. I have the Pass Through Panic ones which are pretty comprehensive :).

Ryukil
15-03-16, 06:34
Hey all...if im anxious and DPed all the time does it mean to loosen my body all of the time?

akb
15-03-16, 07:42
Claire is better listened to beccause her voice is so comforting and genuine. There are four free talks on the net

.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html[/url]

Total 80 minutes but all relevany

Put www before the link I camt post in full without ten posts

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Hey all...if im anxious and DPed all the time does it mean to loosen my body all of the time?

I think that if you concentrate on belly breathing the body will loosen automatically. If you keep at it, it will become your natural breathing pattern and really help.Like everything else it takes time and practice but we have to do it

Crystalhiggs
15-03-16, 07:55
I've just downloaded her book on audible so I can listen on my phone. Agree her voice is very comforting. Am going to listen to it through today as having a blip! :( feel good everyone xx

akb
15-03-16, 12:06
Hi Crystal

What was the title of the book you downloaded on audio? There is adude here at my jail who can download stuff free but the only one he found was Freedom From Fear. Its fine but Hope and Help for your Nerves is the one I reallywant

Akb. Xx

Crystalhiggs
15-03-16, 16:05
Hi Crystal

What was the title of the book you downloaded on audio? There is adude here at my jail who can download stuff free but the only one he found was Freedom From Fear. Its fine but Hope and Help for your Nerves is the one I reallywant

Akb. Xx

Hi there

You're in jail?? Wow..! It is Hope and Help for your nerves, it isn't free though I'm afraid. Are you in the uk? It was £10.49 on Audible. You take care!!