PDA

View Full Version : Pounding heart when walking uphill.

KeeKee
05-02-16, 16:08
I know this isn't particularly abnormal, I've read going uphill and even up household stairs causes your heart to get faster/stronger and it makes perfect sense. However when I walk up the bank near where I live my heart pounds like absolutely crazy. I do tend to power walk it as it just seems easier that way but it makes me feel horrible afterward. It feels as though I've done a proper workout.
I also sweat like a pig all the time with little activity it's really getting me down.
Today as an example, I've just got back from the school heart pounding and all, and I was sweating. It's not even warm outside. It happens everytime I do any form of activity and in Summer I despise leaving the house as my face will be all shiny and my makeup rubs off which exposes my bad skin. Yuk.
It's really upsetting me as I don't just sweat but I smell of sweat too. Sometimes I can go in the bath around 7 (I soak for about an hour and am definitely squeaky clean afterwards) and can get up the next morning smelling sweaty. I don't even need to feel particularly warm.

It's really knocking my confidence and I keep wondering if I've always been sweaty or if it could mean something else. I'm tired loads too. Walking to the school makes me feel like napping and even just popping into town where I'm only walking slow paced makes me feel really tired.

oldtime
05-02-16, 22:01
I've experienced this too. A pounding heart for minimal exertion followed by a cascade of anxiety and feeling weak and shaky. I think it is a phobic reaction to a raised heart rate. The symptoms are similar to phobia and lead to avoidance of any activity that causes a raised heart rate.

The cure like any phobia is gradual exposure. Eg. Day one run up the stairs and feel your raised heart try to relax and get used to that feeling of a faster heart. Repeat each day until you are able to run upstairs without feeling anxious.

By gradually increasing exposure you will be able to retrain you brain and cure the phobia.

One of the best ways to get over this is to join a gym. Slowly build up your stamina on an exercise bike. If you experience fear try to stay on the bike until the fear subsides.

Don't over do it though, take it little by little or you will make the phobia worse.