PDA

View Full Version : Fear of my own thoughts

Greggybabez
27-02-07, 19:00
Hi,

I thought I would write this post as I need help and advice coping with panic attacks and the effects I’m afraid they might have on my mental health.

It all first started 7 years ago. In January 2000 I was sitting in my friends flat smoking weed, when all of a sudden I felt a panic attack come on. For no reason, I was suddenly scared I might go out and do heroin even though I have never done it and never would do it as I know it would ruin my life. Basically I was scared of going and doing something that I did not want to do.

I had never had a panic attack before and the sudden fear I was experiencing then caused me to have a full-on panic attack. I was in bed at home when the brunt of this panic attack happened! It made me jump out of bed in sheer terror, and I then ran into my parents bedroom shaking violently and told my mum that I was freaking out and not to let go of me (because I was frightened I might go out and do something I didn’t want to!).

I was 18 at the time and had no idea then that what I was experiencing was a full-blown panic attack!

For the next couple of weeks this was all I could think about as I had never experienced a shock/fear anything like this before in my life. I was still afraid that if I kept worrying about it, it would eventually take its toll on me and I would give in and go out and do the exact thing I was afraid of!

Then I started thinking I was going mad as it was all I could think about and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I then noticed that I was thinking about thinking all the time. Then I got scared that if I kept thinking about thinking, that would make me go mad. The fear of this inadvertently caused me to worry about it even more!

Pretty shortly after my first panic attack, I completely gave up smoking weed as whenever I tried to smoke it it would bring on a panic attack.

So basically, at first I was scared that if I kept worrying that I might go out and do heroin, eventually that would make me go out and do it! (Again let me stress I have never done it before and I know that drugs like that ruin your whole life over night! It is the last thing in the world I would want to get involved in) Then as a result of worrying about this all the time I thought I was going mad and that if I kept thinking about thinking that would make me go mad! I was scared of my own mind!

What made matters worse is that at the end of February that year (about 7 or 8 weeks since the problem began) I was to go travelling on my own to Australia - so I had to deal with the problem completely on my own as I was the other side of the world!

I was in Sydney for 6 weeks and the problem still had not gone away. It was only on my second last night in Sydney I was talking to someone about it and they explained to me that if I thought I was going mad then I wasn’t as people who go mad don’t know they are going mad. Also she said that it was a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes someone to be mad, and that common symptoms include being unable to sleep or having highly irregular sleep patterns.

What she said to me pretty much cured the whole problem for me and I stopped worrying about it from then on as I knew I had nothing to be afraid of! My mind was clear once again and it felt like such a relief to be free of that fear!

After 3 months of sheer hell, my ordeal was completely over!

However at the beginning of last November 2006, I had another panic attack (the first proper one in years). Even though I knew it was a panic attack and was able to control it to some degree, this basically started the whole process over again.

Now it is not the 'heroin' thing I am worried about. Instead I am scared that I might go out and physically hurt the people I love, even though I don't want to. Again the fear of having these thoughts causes them to happen even more. It is causing me to have bad thoughts that I wouldn’t normally have... 'fake' thoughts if you will.

So the principle is still the same as before.

I am scared that the longer this happens, that eventually I might cave in. So that in turn scares me even more. The fear of these thoughts causes them to happen even more, even though I know that that is not my natural way of thinking! Again this gets me into a rut of thinking about thinking. I feel the longer this happens, the deeper I will go, and eventually I will reach a point of no return.

In my heart of hearts I’m sure I am really ok but the element of doubt has been playing on my mind more and more lately, and I am scared that I am unintentionally convincing myself that I am losing the plot.

What is going on with me?

Am I the only one this is happening to?

Will I go mad if this keeps happening? If not, then why?

It is so horrible and the longer it seems to go on, the worse I feel it is becoming!

I just want things to be normal again!

Please can anyone offer any help or advice to help me tackle/cope with this?

statycBG
27-02-07, 19:43
I copletely understand you.The "losing control" thing is very common in panic attack situations.The thruth is - you CAN't do that.No,u can't because u are affraid of it.Many of the Pa sufferers are affraid of "doing something out of control".But you can't do it.You are NORMAL ! My first Panic attack was in school and i sudenly felt faint and i was thinking i am dying.The next few panic attacks were similar but i was thinking i will go mad or something.One night i just jump out of the bed and told my mom i feel really bad.I was telling her to make me relax,but she was scared too and she even maked me feel WORSE.But guess what.The panic just dissapeard.Remember:The Panic can't last forever - its only 5-10mins even if you didn't get help.The Panic is Just a fear.It wont hurt you,eventually,it will pass.So don't be affraid.You may think that your situation is much worse than the others and you will hurt your friends,but you wont ! There is no losing control,its the FEAR of losing control.
Be free man and do all the things you want.The fears from your thoughts is just fear and it will pass when you see that the panic doesn't make you "out of control".THe thoughts are yours and you always control your body !
Kind Regards :)

ruth76
28-02-07, 08:45
Hi
I have a very similar thing happen to me it is horrible.Yesterday I had a bad day had about 17 panic attacks all started by me thinking i was going to do something bad. I get myself in a real state in the end i had to take beta blockers to calm down. But what really works is when you get those thoughts in your head try and block it with a positive thought I always think of being with my boyfreind and having fun or really funny things that have happened. It will help but you have to practice doing this. This feeling wont last forever just remember that.
Please get in touch anytime I really understand what your going through and so do lots of others on this site.
Ruthx

Bran Bran
01-03-07, 21:43
I am struggling with anxiety now and trying new methods so advice is not something I can give much of. I can tell you what helps me a bit now... read everything on here!!! it will help you see that it is the G.A.D and not you. Its hard to see that its a disease while youre in that mind with all those thoughts. I thought I was going mad too, and then I thought it was being on the valume and then running out, like the pills were making me crazy. Then I read on here a symptom that I have that is normal, so I felt better. I've been jogging and then walking while breathing deep and slow and it helps. I tell my self over and over how calm I am and how I can feel the calmness all over my body. With this thing, I think you worry about one thing, then it leads to another, then you worry about worrying, then you are aware of your body too much and your mind, and then you worry about that, they you think you are going crazy. This one time I thought I was going to go crazy and that they were going to throw me in a mental institution and I would be aware of it or able to do anything lol. I don't think you can go mad. Think of all the people that have this, and they are not mad. Just talk about it with people and it will help you realize that its the disorder. Remember, jog!! Its the next best thing to valume. Hit me up anytime you want. I used to smoke pot too when I was younger, it gave me attacks too.

also, the other day I drank too much and I woke up the next day and drank a coffee (bad idea if you are me), i started feeling one coming on and so I tried the breaths and everything and it kept rising up in my chest (the anxiety). So I put on my shoes and ran out the door and jogged three blocks mixed with walking. I came home layed on my back and did stretches. It worked. antihistimines work if you have not been on valume or xanax for awhile.

Greggybabez
02-03-07, 10:04
Yes you are right dude. Thats how I got over it all in the first place. I am starting to realise that it is not me going mad and that instead it is GAD again. Before when someone told me I wasnt going mad that seemed to cure me of everything. Because I knew I was fine and nothing bad was going to happen, when I did feel an attack coming on I would just say to myself "Go on then, have a panic attack... I don't care". Thinking that would stop the panic attack coming on because I wasnt scared of it. And even if I did have a panic attack I wouldnt care! I noticed that every time after a panic attack I was still fine, they werent hurting me physically, and despite what i thought they werent hurting me mentally either really (i just got it into my head that they were), so what was the point in having them?! You have to face up to your fear and confront it. You will see as soon as you confront it, the problem disappears.

I think the reason I started having them again recently is because I forgot what it felt like and then it caught me with my guard down. I forgot how scary it can get sometimes. But thanks to what people have said on here it has put it all in perspective again and I am starting to feel better again. I hope what I have said in this post also helps other people to deal with the attacks better. The more you understand it, the less scary it becomes, and the less worried you become as well.

G