PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop being sick!

Xtrastrongbint
05-02-16, 21:06
Hi all....I have kept panic attacks at bay for 18 years using meds and therapy (therapy at the beginning). Recently I had a worrying situation with someone who has a schizo affective disorder suggesting I had done something on purpose to hurt them (I remove tattoos with a laser). This accusation and his horribleness to me has literally shot my anxiety through the roof! It started with a couple of really heavy duty panic attacks which has led me to a week later not being able to eat without being sick. I am feeling nauseous/vomiting on and off all day. I have increased my meds over the last 3 days to try and get some relief and the doctor has given me diazapam which I really don't want to take...Any ideas on how to relieve the puking/high anxiety until my increased dose kicks in? Feeling pretty shitty right now :huh:

PanchoGoz
05-02-16, 21:19
I have trouble with gagging at the moment so I can identify with this. Is it more a feeling of needing to gag, or actual stomach sickness?
When you feel like gagging, you need to distract yourself. Bring your awareness to your surroundings, breathe slowly, do anything to take your mind off it, even if it means studying the wallpaper till the reaction passes.

If you vomit your food, try again, really try and get food down that's easy to eat. If you can distract yourself while eating it helps loads, watch telly or do a mind game. Listening to the radio with headphones would be good too! Dry food makes you gag less, try toast.

Maybe write down your thoughts on this tattoo issue that is causing alarm and try to rationalise it.

Xtrastrongbint
05-02-16, 21:35
Oh both...retch when I haven't eaten, proper stomach sickness when I do....I am pretty good at distracting myself but it's becoming harder to function properly and do stuff when I have to keep stopping to puke! Good advice on the rationalising. I'll give that a go - I know it's completely silly to feel like I do but that's good ole anxiety...making a mountain outta a molehill....Thanks for the advice :)

Shazamataz
05-02-16, 21:53
I've had this and it really is horrible. I was at a point where I constantly wanted to be sick and not eating was making it worse.

So, what helped a little was taking things in half-hour chunks. Drink some water, tell yourself you aren't allowed to be sick for 30 minutes. Eat some toast, do the 30 minutes thing again. I read somewhere that even if food stays in for seconds you will absorb some of it!

It's most important not to get dehydrated as that will make your anxiety worse.

Please try the diazepam. If it's only temporary it won't do any harm. And assuming the sickness IS anxiety related, that should calm it right down.