PDA

View Full Version : Struggling

WWendy
05-02-16, 23:25
Hi all. I'm new to this but hope you can help. I have horrible travel anxiety. I've always wanted to go Italy and have finally booked to go in the summer. I am already worrying a lot about travelling across the Alps by car. I won't be driving but the thought still really scares me. I've had many panic attacks in the past. I am also asthmatic. So I can't have many of the anti anxiety meds. I just want to have a nice holiday but my anxiety always seems to spoil it and that gets me depressed. Please help if you can.

Xtrastrongbint
05-02-16, 23:56
Hi Wwendy! I have general anxiety but included in that is always the fear of travel for me. I am also asthmatic - have you spoken to a doc about it? He may be able to give you a tiny dose of something you can take whilst you're feeling really anxious or perhaps some CBT or meditation exercises you can try....:bighug1:

WWendy
06-02-16, 07:50
Hi. The doc won't give me anything. I am going to a Mindfulness class which is helpful. But I'm concerned when I am in a situation that causes me anxiety and it lasts for several hours. It can be overwhelming. I'm not even going til August and I am regularly a mess about it already.

HeadInAJar
06-02-16, 18:00
Im glad to hear you are going to a mindfulness class, that should prove helpful :).

As far as your fears about your trip, try to keep in mind that you are viewing it through your current anxiety, so you are anxious now and kind of experiencing your future anxiety now too, which is a double burden. I think you might also be viewing your trip as one large chunk of anxious travel. Remember that when you are on the road, you experience stuff moment by moment, not two hours worth of anxiety in one go, if that makes sense.

I hope this helps a little. It is tought though I know :(.

WWendy
06-02-16, 23:30
Thank you. I know it's crazy to tie myself in knots about it now. It's always been a dream to go to Italy. Must try to be more positive I suppose.