PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used an inhaler for hayfever/allergy/sinus short term?

Ditapage
06-02-16, 00:01
My nose always feels blocked and there are days where I feel like I am talking through it. One extreme is all congested/lightheaded/pain in the face and the other extreme is nonstop sneezing for up to 20 minutes or whenever it decides to stop.

I just got back from the doctor who listened to my lungs and said there was some mild wheezing and prescribed me something called Bricanyl Turbuhaler for a few weeks. When I asked why it was a few weeks he said he doesn't think I have asthma ("there's plenty of air when you breathe in and out") but the wheezing just indicates some congestion/inflammation and this will help me to breathe better.

It's freaking me out and I'm obsessing about things like lung cancer now. I just had a blood test that came back fine by that reassured me for a few days. As any HA sufferer knows, tests don't always give the desired effect of calming our health anxiety.

My question is has anyone who wasn't diagnosed with asthma ever been prescribed an inhaler for short term use after a sinus infection or for allergies? He said he thinks it'll clear up in a few weeks and it's common for people with allergies/hayfever to have mild wheezing (which I definitely have allergies - if I am cleaning out cupboards the dust has irritated me for years)

But that catastrophizing voice of HA won't shut up and is making me feel panicky that it's something else, especially since I have bouts of fatigue but I know allergies/hayfever/sinus can cause drowsiness. But fatigue, and wheezing could also mean something serious and I can't bear to start a whole new cycle of wanting X-rays and scans - I just went through all that for a brain tumour I don't have after I was getting daily headaches.

Just need some calming reassurance! And perspective! Thank you :)

swgrl09
06-02-16, 01:17
My husband has been given an inhaler a couple of times when he can't get over a bad cough. He uses it for about 1 week to decrease inflammation and irritation in the lungs/airway. He doesn't have asthma and probably goes through this once every year or two.

Also I have allergies and when they are bad I wheeze a little.

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-16, 05:40
Yes, I've seen several threads on here and also know people in real life who have been prescribed an inhaler. As an asthma sufferer I tend to post on these threads as I find people are worried about using inhalers because they associate them with asthma but this is not the case.

As an asthma sufferer I have two inhalers. One called a Preventer which delivers steroidal medication to keep my lungs working as they should and keeping the asthma at bay. Then I also have a Reliever which is only to be used when I have trouble breathing.

A Reliever is given to anyone who needs help to breathe. They work quickly and open the airways. So, people have them with difficult bouts of hayfever (I've posted on several of those threads) but also when they have infections causing inflammation affecting breathing (posted on some of those too).

Please don't worry about a Reliever. As an asthma sufferer, I should never need to use it - and it's rare I ever do. The advice to asthma sufferers was when we have chest infections we take these as well as the Preventers (which we increase) because it helps to keep our airways open more often.

So, getting prescribed a Reliever makes sense in your situation.

Ditapage
06-02-16, 07:02
Thanks swgirl your post puts my wheezing worries at ease.

Terry, thank you so much for your very helpful post. I have been using the inhaler as prescribed - 2 puffs every four hours and is it supposed to make my breathing quicker? The dr did mention it could make me jittery but I feel like I have to slow down my breathing now. It's freaking me out a bit. Is that supposed to happen with a RELIEVER? I'm not short of breath or experiencing chest tightness but my breathing has sped up- it might be anxiety about using an inhaler but I'm worried this isn't normal. My heart rate is normal. It feels like I've had a shot of adrenaline.

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-16, 07:21
Hi Dita,

Yes, this is very common. It's something you will have to rationalise as being the inhaler, it's what the Relievers give in side effects. This is a problem if you have panic/anxiety as you will notice it and worry but it really just is the med in it and it will subside after a bit.

You just get jittery, may feel a bit wired, you could have some palps, etc. It's very normal. But please use them and try to handle that because helping your breathing will help you.

Your fatigue won't be helped by the breathing issue. If my asthma worsens, usually due to a chest infection, it makes me very tired.

Treatment every 4 hours is what we do when we have chest infections to allow the med to keep our airways open as much as possible and take the strain off.

Struggling with breathing can affect your anxiety just as much but at least you know this is the inhaler and it is a necessary side effect to get the relief.

Ditapage
06-02-16, 07:46
Thanks Terry. As long as I know it's a side effect and will wear off I'll be okay. Having anxiety already it's hard to know how much of the wired feeling is the med and what's my anxiety. Do I have to take diazepam for this side effect or will it subside soon? It's been 40 minutes. I just feel like I've drank lots of coffee and I am very conscious of my breathing. Definitely took the heavy chest fatigue feeling away! I just hope I don't prolong the side effects by panicking. Why is something that is supposed to help me breathe making me hyperventilate!?

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-16, 08:10
I know, it's a pain. It does this in anyone but with anxiety/panic it's going to be close to some of the sensations you worry about and you will add to it. When I got really bad with my anxiety I ended up having a big adrenaline rush when working out and attributed it to the supplements, a new one was too strong for me, but this spilled over into anything I could take. I stopped taking my asthma meds because of these side effects and ended up having a mild asthma attack after a while so had to work on starting them again so you can imagine how that felt for a while.

So, don't give up on it, try and push through. The more you use it, you might get more accustomed to it anyway and it will bother you less.

I think mine were 30-60 minutes with my Reliever. There are different ones though, mine as always Salamol. If you find your hands a bit shaky, that is also the inhaler, I used to get that long before my anxiety.

It is as you describe it, like you've downed a bit hit of caffeine. I used to use caffeine supplements (guarana mostly) when I trained and it felt just like it, just without the brain hit although you may feel more alert.

If it has taken the heavy chest away that's a good indication it's just you need a bit of breathing support but also that those symptoms are going to go as the allergy is sorted out.

I know exactly what you mean about not knowing whether it's X or Y. I've had loads of that trying to work out what is my anxiety and what is my asthma. At least with this you know that wired feeling coming on so quickly is the med. You don't need to take Diazepam for it, that's up to you because of how you feel with your anxiety. I'm not sure whether that works for that to be honest as I've just lived with it since I know it's just part of treatment for me.

If your chest feels a little tingly too, it will be the inhaler and it will pass.

Ditapage
06-02-16, 10:12
I really appreciate the reassurance and insight, Terry :) Anxiety just gives me an irrational thought process about everything and I'm so glad I have you to talk to otherwise I would've been a wreck! Starting anything new is scary, especially medications.

The jitteriness and anxiety has subsided now. I didn't have to take Diazepam. I still have irrational fears swirling around like what if I have some lung obstruction but if the reliever worked, that indicates it's a fixable problem right? If it was a serious blockage, the reliever wouldn't be effective, right?

And how do I know if I actually do have asthma? Is there a test for it? the doctor just listened to my lungs and had me breathe in and out and picked up on the wheezing. He thinks the Bricanyl will clear "it" up in a few weeks but should I request further investigation? I'm probably overreacting as usual but how does he know I don't have asthma?

Ditapage
07-02-16, 04:04
It's my second day using the reliever and no jitteriness. It's like it was only an initial thing or I was already anxious when I used it last night and felt wired. Whatever the case I'm not complaining!

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-16, 06:15
Yep, it can go like that. If you use them more often, your body adjusts.

Glad to be able to help. You are bound to worry as you have symptoms in that area (I saw your fainting exposure thread) and people often worry about asthma but the reality is that it is so common and very manageable, it's nothing to worry about and you can run marathons with it as some people do (many athletes have it).

I know exactly what you mean about starting meds. Because of how my fears went I had to expose myself to things like vitamin C to start myself off again and taking new supplements means facing that lessened fear still as I'm trying to eliminate it. (which I have for the most part now)

The Reliever would do nothing for an obstruction. All a Reliever will do is open the tubes up, it won't remove a blockage. Remember when you have colds & infections, the mucus is an allergic reaction that the body goes through and too much of this (from inflammation) means you can have trouble breathing through your nose...which is the same as those tubes. In asthma, this is what we have a problem with hence needing meds to counter it and sometimes we need to take Relievers to give us better breathing periods so we are not constantly struggling otherwise we don't use them as the Preventer should be enough.

If your GP wants to test for asthma he/she can conduct a quick test with a Peak Flow Meter. There is a more advanced test such as a Spirometry but a Peak Flow can be enough. Peak Flow measures the output of your lungs. Your GP said your input/output seemed fine so they have no need to make that test.

Ditapage
07-02-16, 10:03
Can't thank you enough for your replies, Terry. You put my mind completely at ease which is no easy task when dealing with someone as health anxious as me! You're awesome :)

I had a test 2 years ago after I ended up in the ER with tightness in my chest (more like my sternum though) and I had to blow into something and the doctor said my lungs were above good - that's how well I passed the test.

I think I want another one though. Can the doctor detect asthma just from listening to my chest? (he also put whatever instrument he was using on my back and got me to breathe as well) I want the proper test for peace of mind but I can't keep this peace of mind testing up because where does it end?! I'll just move onto something else before long.

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-16, 11:02
Thanks Dita, I really appreciate that :flowers:

They can detect wheezing with the stethoscope but not make an asthma diagnosis off the back of one. That's where tests like the peak flow come in.

If you GP suspected asthma, which they must see constantly as it's so common since it really took off 30 years ago, then they would do one of those tests as they have the kits in their surgeries.

If you have other symptoms and he/she thought your rate of breath was ok, I don't think you should be worrying about that and it's the anxiety driving it like you say.

shirlp
07-02-16, 13:12
If the Dr suspected asthma he would have referred u to an asthma clinic.. I've been prescribed an inhaler before for wheezing but don't have asthma. Just helps open up airways...
Oh and Terry just wanted to say ur information and advice is brilliant.. Been reading some threads on here wen I can't sleep.. U r great x

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-16, 06:17
If the Dr suspected asthma he would have referred u to an asthma clinic.. I've been prescribed an inhaler before for wheezing but don't have asthma. Just helps open up airways...
Oh and Terry just wanted to say ur information and advice is brilliant.. Been reading some threads on here wen I can't sleep.. U r great x

Thanks shirlp, I really appreciate that!

Many GP surgeries hold their own asthma clinics these days. Mine does because several of the nurses have been trained up to handle asthma work. In reality though, these "clinics" in the context of my surgery are just check ups after so many years so not like a real asthma clinic where you would get real advice on managing your condition. I went to one last year and all they did was a peak flow test and check my weight & height. :shrug: