PDA

View Full Version : Body Temperature Fluctuations? I'm new.

bethel777
06-02-16, 01:53
My first time posting and I'm suffering from health anxiety (of course I have all kinds of physical symptoms making me crazy). Lately, I've been checking my temperature constantly. It'll range from 98.3-99.5. Normally, I run cold 98.3 or less. I've read anxiety can cause a higher body temperature. Is this true? Every time it hits above 98.7 I freak out.

artist12
06-02-16, 02:13
Welcome!

So sorry you are dealing with health anxiety but you are not alone here.

I wouldn't worry very much about fluctuating temperatures. I admit to taking my temp VERY often and I run anywhere from 97.5-98.3, typically. Rarely do I even make it to 98.6 (which always made me worry, opposite of your problem!)

I think our bodies are all different and a lot of various factors can affect regular temperature. Monthly body temperature for sure fluctuates for women because tracking daily temperature is one of the ways women can track their ovulation schedule. And stress can certainly run down your immune system which could very well mean you are fighting off a little bug or something.

99.5 F is usually considered the VERY bottom of the range for a low grade fever. I wouldn't worry at all! Easier said than done, I know. :)

WorryWortAgain
06-02-16, 09:07
What method are you using to take your temp?

Fishmanpa
06-02-16, 16:10
Totally, without a doubt normal!

Positive thoughts

bethel777
06-02-16, 23:02
I've been using an ear thermometer. It's weird because sometimes I'll take it and it initially says 98.4 and then of course I take it a dozen more times and it goes from that to 99.2 and then 98.8 and so on. It's so frustrating.

WorryWortAgain
06-02-16, 23:23
I just went through the same thing in December. What I didn't realize is that the ear thermometer temp is a full degree higher than a mouth thermometer so any temp up to 99.6 is normal. Also, our body temp varies a degree or so throughout the day. I was also flipping out and taking my temp like 50 times a day. I researched it a ton and found info proving is it normal. Please don't worry about this anymore. It's completely normal.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

http://www.m.webmd.com/children/tc/fever-temperatures-accuracy-and-comparison-topic-overview

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/body-temperature

stressedanxious
07-02-16, 00:04
I've been using an ear thermometer. It's weird because sometimes I'll take it and it initially says 98.4 and then of course I take it a dozen more times and it goes from that to 99.2 and then 98.8 and so on. It's so frustrating.

Do you feel cold at all? Or do you feel just fine?

WorryWortAgain
07-02-16, 02:38
When I thought that I had a fever, yes. Now that I'm not worried about it, no. Psycho-somatic.

bethel777
07-02-16, 23:20
No, I don't feel cold. For the most part I feel of normal body temperature except there are times on and off all day I feel hot.

bethel777
13-02-16, 22:05
So I'm still stressing over this. It's been 4 months of weird temperatures going up to as high as 99.5. If I sit still and relax it will usually come down to 98.9 or less. Anybody else experience this when you should normally be at 98.3 or even lower? My old temperature used to be as low as 97.7. I can't help thinking cancer since low grade fever is a first warning sign. Ugh!!! I've read stress can cause this but it seems to be debatable.

Fishmanpa
13-02-16, 22:15
Hi Bethel,

You can Google it and all sources will tell you the same. The temperatures you speak of all within normal ranges. Body temperature will vary by person, age, activity and time of day.

I don't know what anyone here could tell you that would quell your fear.

Positive thoughts

WorryWortAgain
14-02-16, 05:05
99.5 is not a fever with an ear thermometer. And temps can fluctuate + or - a degree within the same day. Did you not read the links I posted? It's all there in black and white. This is completely normal.

bethel777
15-02-16, 04:18
Yes thank you. I looked at the links. I know im stressing because I've never ever had a temperature this high for so long and I can't figure out why except something awful like cancer or hopefully just stress. I'm worrying over some enlarged lymph nodes so that doesn't help. The biggest is 1.9 cm under my arm and a few smaller ones around my neck.

WorryWortAgain
15-02-16, 04:26
But it's not high, it's normal. Is it the same thermometer that you've always used? Were you using a oral thermometer previously? Oral thermometers and ear thermometers will read differently. If you want to see a reading below 98.6 then take your temp orally with an oral thermometer. My daughter told me when I got home last week that she thought she might be getting sick because she had a fever. It read 99.3. Later that night she took it again and it went down to 98 something. She wasn't sick and she didn't get sick. She was just using an ear thermometer. Normal.

bethel777
16-02-16, 00:51
So I used an oral thermometer and it's reading between 98.9-99.0