PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes fear

shotta287
06-02-16, 12:11
Hi all,
In the past week or so i've had dry lips and abit of a dry mouth. Also last Sunday I injured or cut my gum with my toothbrush and it still hasn't fully healed. I've now developed an anxiety about diabetes. I must mention though that my sister is a Type 1 and she was diagnosed at 16 and i'm 22.
Do you think I should be getting a check up at the doctors?

Thanks all!

lfc65
06-02-16, 19:44
Hi hun. My 16 year old son is type 1, diagnosed at 8 so this is something I do know about first hand, not from Dr Google! I'm not going to spell out on here what the initial symptoms of type 1 are as I don't want to fuel anyone's fears but if you think back to your sister's diagnosis, you will probably recall it was more dramatic than dry lips. It comes on quickly and a week on, you would be a lot more poorly, believe me. Have a chat to your parents, I'm sure they will put your mind at rest. Take care x

shotta287
07-02-16, 22:09
Hi hun. My 16 year old son is type 1, diagnosed at 8 so this is something I do know about first hand, not from Dr Google! I'm not going to spell out on here what the initial symptoms of type 1 are as I don't want to fuel anyone's fears but if you think back to your sister's diagnosis, you will probably recall it was more dramatic than dry lips. It comes on quickly and a week on, you would be a lot more poorly, believe me. Have a chat to your parents, I'm sure they will put your mind at rest. Take care x

Thank you very much for the nice words, much appreciated. I hate health anxiety! I wish you and your son all the best, God bless.