PDA

View Full Version : Will my voice come back?!

Kirbear4
06-02-16, 20:46
My husband and son had a cold a couple of weeks ago, I had one day of feeling really pants and then I was fine the next day.

My husbands cold went completely and my sons seemed to improve then come back again. On Tuesday I read my son a bedtime story and I started coughing very slightly, fast forward to Thursday and I suddenly felt extremely rubbish, headache, nausea, feeling really hot, pain in upper back, so tired I was asleep by 7pm. Felt just as bad yesterday but by the evening it had settled besides the cough. I have been coughing all night and my throat (feels like all the front of my neck) was really sore. I woke up this morning and I have barely any voice! I can whisper but that's as far as it goes, my son is back to his old self!

My throat is sore I can't stop coughing, I still feel warm (not as warm) and I have been a bit sneezy the last couple of hours. Now I am worried my voice will never come back! Has anyone else ever lost their voice and how long did it take to come back?!

Kirbear4
07-02-16, 11:12
Anyone?

AnnieMags
07-02-16, 11:48
Of course your voice will come back! It is very common to lose your voice with a throat infection and it may take a little time for it to come back, but I promise you it will.

A couple of years ago I had exactly the kind of scenario you describe - felt absolutely rubbish and could only whisper for days on end. My sense of taste completely disappeared, too - that was a bit scary - but in the end it all returned to normal.

Keep warm, drink lots of fluid and rest your voice (hard, I know, if you have children) and in a few days all will be well. Best wishes, Annie :hugs:

Magic
07-02-16, 11:59
Do you think you have laryngitis? I had this a bit back it was very painful.

Kirbear4
07-02-16, 12:32
Thank you! Yes I did Google (reluctantly) and of course read all sorts of horror stories but then rationalised it by thinking to myself that I have been feeling ill beforehand. Laryngitis has come up a few times, I have read all the advice on resting your voice but yes you're right it's tough with a 5 year old! Haha it's not as sore today though, yesterday I was crying with the pain.

I don't have a lot of energy but this is partially because I'm feeling sorry for myself and moping, I hate not being able to speak, my husband is loving it.

I had read it can continue for a long time and this is what I am afraid of, it also says whispering is the worst thing you can do but that's all that comes out! I'm terrified in case all the coughing will permanently damage my throat! My appetite isn't huge and I have pulled nearly every muscle going!

My nose is horribly congested today too. I feel horrific and so frustrated! Thank you for replying Annie and Magic, much appreciated x

WorryWortAgain
07-02-16, 12:51
You have to rest your voice. Don't try talking. The more you strain your voice the longer it takes to heal. It's like picking a scab.

Kirbear4
07-02-16, 13:02
I know, I'm trying really hard not to but I have a 5 year old and husband is at work so I'm finding it a bit tough, it's ok when he's behaving as I can write things down (he's good at reading) but then if he is doing something or not doing what I tell him I am really struggling, I also have a bad cough which is obviously not helping.

Who would have thought something as simple as a lost voice would cause so much frustration! xx

glassgirlw
07-02-16, 16:49
When I get that due to colds I drink hot tea with honey stirred in. Really soothes my throat. ☺

Kirbear4
07-02-16, 19:39
Thank you :) I've been drinking hot tea a bit replacing sugar with honey and also taking spoonfuls of honey every now and again. The soreness has really died down now I just want my voice back :weep: