PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety, depression and pregnancy

smit
06-02-16, 22:29
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any info on how becoming pregnant effects an individuals anxiety and depression.
I am currently on fluoextine for mild/ moderate depression and I still get feelings of mild anxiety on that nasty week of the month (:whistles:)

I would like to start thinking about starting a family, I just want to know does becoming pregnant cause chaos for these illnesses?

Thank-you for any response, even if just general chat it will help me think !

Pleut
06-02-16, 22:35
I'd definitely speak to your GP/shrink before attempting to become pregnant because (and I can't remember exactly from when I was on fluoex) it could be harmful to the baby. I know there are some that might not be, but some could be. Wow, I'm so helpful.

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing this as well as I hope to have children in the next few years.

smit
06-02-16, 22:41
Yup you're right, flux can cause issues if continued into the third trimester. Don't worry I don't plan on becoming pregnant while on the stuff, however if an accidental early preg occurred I just want to know how being pregnant would make me feel! Feeling pretty much normal atom lol don't want it to go downhill again

Pleut
06-02-16, 22:59
Yeah I totally get that. I'm so scared that I won't be in a position to cope with being pregnant and that I'll miss my window.
Hopefully someone here will have experience with this :)

Donz81
07-02-16, 01:59
Hi I tried for a baby in 2014 and got pregnant within two months with my third. I came off flouxetine before hand very slowly. I was told all the way thou by my midwife and doctor that if I felt like I needed to go back on them they would not harm the baby in any way. I was actually going to go back on them at around 30 weeks as I was worried about having bad anxiety and depression with a new born baby. I was fine thou. I stil get it but it's really high mostly that time of month. Being pregnant and having anxiety, wasn't that bad really. Being pregnant I had something else to think about. After having the my little boy, I was anxious about him choking and things. I was never like that with the other two but I didn't have it like we all do on here at the time. I'm not so bad now, I wouldn't let him out of myself. Yet the last few weeks he eats anything and he loves custard creams which I never let him have out of fear. He's 19 months old now xxx

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

I wouldn't let him out my sight I meant to say lol

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-16, 05:19
Data on SSRI's in general, and some named ones including Fluoxetine, is conflicting:

http://cks.nice.org.uk/depression-antenatal-and-postnatal#!scenario

Based on the available data:
◦The UK Teratology Information Service (UKTIS) states that:
◾Although a risk of cardiovascular malformations was initially reported with only paroxetine, more recent data has indicated that there may be risks associated with all four of the most commonly prescribed SSRIs (citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline) though data are conflicting. Since the published data are contradictory, the teratogenic potential of SSRIs remains unproven.
◾Although associated with risks, some of which are severe, SSRIs may still need to be prescribed in pregnancy where alternative treatments are not considered clinically appropriate.
◾There is currently insufficient evidence to warrant additional fetal monitoring in women taking SSRIs, and exposure to citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, escitalopram, or paroxetine at any stage in pregnancy would not usually be regarded as medical grounds for termination of pregnancy.
◦The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) advises that when prescribing fluoxetine to treat depression during pregnancy, prescribers should be aware that there may be a small increased risk of congenital cardiac defects in infants exposed in early pregnancy, similar to that seen with paroxetine.

smit
07-02-16, 22:24
Hi I tried for a baby in 2014 and got pregnant within two months with my third. I came off flouxetine before hand very slowly. I was told all the way thou by my midwife and doctor that if I felt like I needed to go back on them they would not harm the baby in any way. I was actually going to go back on them at around 30 weeks as I was worried about having bad anxiety and depression with a new born baby. I was fine thou. I stil get it but it's really high mostly that time of month. Being pregnant and having anxiety, wasn't that bad really. Being pregnant I had something else to think about. After having the my little boy, I was anxious about him choking and things. I was never like that with the other two but I didn't have it like we all do on here at the time. I'm not so bad now, I wouldn't let him out of myself. Yet the last few weeks he eats anything and he loves custard creams which I never let him have out of fear. He's 19 months old now xxx

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

I wouldn't let him out my sight I meant to say lol
Thank you so much for your reply :) that's great ! Sounds like having pregnancy to focus on really helped your own symptoms remain manageable, this gives me hope !

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Data on SSRI's in general, and some named ones including Fluoxetine, is conflicting:

http://cks.nice.org.uk/depression-antenatal-and-postnatal#!scenario

Based on the available data:
◦The UK Teratology Information Service (UKTIS) states that:
◾Although a risk of cardiovascular malformations was initially reported with only paroxetine, more recent data has indicated that there may be risks associated with all four of the most commonly prescribed SSRIs (citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline) though data are conflicting. Since the published data are contradictory, the teratogenic potential of SSRIs remains unproven.
◾Although associated with risks, some of which are severe, SSRIs may still need to be prescribed in pregnancy where alternative treatments are not considered clinically appropriate.
◾There is currently insufficient evidence to warrant additional fetal monitoring in women taking SSRIs, and exposure to citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, escitalopram, or paroxetine at any stage in pregnancy would not usually be regarded as medical grounds for termination of pregnancy.
◦The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) advises that when prescribing fluoxetine to treat depression during pregnancy, prescribers should be aware that there may be a small increased risk of congenital cardiac defects in infants exposed in early pregnancy, similar to that seen with paroxetine.

Thank you for that info , this is what my own search has found as well. By the sounds of things if you need to its generally ok to use flux during the first and second trimester its during the third one that issues can arise. I'm glad you backed up what I've found - a lot of it is jargon to me !!