PDA

View Full Version : Bumps on base (root) on the tongue. Freaking out - picture inside!

scared88
07-02-16, 00:29
I'm having a bit of a freak out now. Few weeks ago I had a little enlarged papillea on my tongue and I just found one on the tip of my tongue today.
When I was examining my mouth few weeks ago cause I had some strange taste in my mouth with some coating at the back of the tongue. The taste has gone now though. But I noticed that on the base of the tongue, further down than any of the papillaes that I had some bumps that are kinda big. I shined a light down there to see better and then they became very clear. They're not that big though that they block anything and I don't feel them when eating or anything. Or at least I don't think so.

It looks like they're part of the lingual tonsils. Which worries me cause that's a lymphatic tissue and I've had swollen nodes for many many years in my armpits so I make a connection between the two.

It's been a month or so since I first came across this and they don't look to have grown since then and I went to the dentist in November and he didn't mention anything about this. I don't have any patches or sores on my tongue or anywhere inside my mouth either. I seem however to have developed a sensitive gag reflex, if try to scrape my tongue and go a bit too far back I gag.

I tried to take a picture of this, didn't really come out well.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2eclvno.jpg

half-empty
07-02-16, 00:31
I have them at the back of my tongue too, funny the weird things we notice when paying attention. I think they are normal

scared88
07-02-16, 00:52
I have them at the back of my tongue too, funny the weird things we notice when paying attention. I think they are normal

True lol
I'm not talking about the taste bud bumps that go in a v-shape though. These are farther back, past the uvula.

swgrl09
07-02-16, 01:24
I honestly think everybody has this and it's a normal part of your mouth/throat.

Fishmanpa
07-02-16, 02:34
What is it about posting nasty pics of the inside of one's mouth lately? And HUGE close up pics at that! I've seen several lately. It's not like someone can tell you one way or the other anyway.

We're not doctors and while I'm not one for going to the doctor for reassurance, I rather you do that than post a close up pic of your tonsils ~lol~

Positive thoughts

the_anxious_mind
07-02-16, 04:46
I have those too! Totally looking normal. But I would add that you go to the doctor just in case! :) Hugs and good vibes!

scared88
07-02-16, 14:56
Yeah I'm sorry about the picture :p
But I did wanted to see if others have this too. I'm pretty sure these haven't grown in the month since I noticed them.

androidz
07-02-16, 16:20
This is a normal part of the human anatomy. It's lymphoid tissue, part of the lymphatic system which is, at the same time, part of your inmune system.

Some people have more lymphoid tissue than others in the oral cavity, just like some people's eyes are green and some others are brown, it doesn't have any significance.

half-empty
07-02-16, 16:32
they could be tonsil pockets, massive cause of tonsil stones, which in turn is a big cause of tosilitis lol I have one tonsil that is much bigger than the other and looks more bumpy. infact doctors say I have rather large tonsils haha

scared88
07-02-16, 17:37
This is a normal part of the human anatomy. It's lymphoid tissue, part of the lymphatic system which is, at the same time, part of your inmune system.

Some people have more lymphoid tissue than others in the oral cavity, just like some people's eyes are green and some others are brown, it doesn't have any significance.

That is why I'm worried actually. I've had swollen nodes in my armpit for nearly 9 years now and I started worrying if the tissue in my mouth has gotten swollen cause of something spreading there.

androidz
07-02-16, 18:02
That is why I'm worried actually. I've had swollen nodes in my armpit for nearly 9 years now and I started worrying if the tissue in my mouth has gotten swollen cause of something spreading there.

In your picture I can't see any swollen tissue, if you mean it because it's bumpy, that's the way that lymphoid tissue looks like in your mouth. If you want I can take a picture of mine, it looks the same, but I think it's a bit unnecessary :D.

half-empty
07-02-16, 18:07
I had a blood test for lymphoma last year coz I have loads of little glands up all over my body. go doctors and ask for one to put your mind at ease

androidz
07-02-16, 18:14
I had a blood test for lymphoma last year coz I have loads of little glands up all over my body. go doctors and ask for one to put your mind at ease

I must disagree with this suggestion, this ISN'T lymphoma, nor does lymphoma present like this.

Everyone has these bumps in the oral cavity, behind the tongue, on the sides of the tongue, and next to the tonsils as well. I insist it's a normal part of the human anatomy, there's no need to investigate anything.

If you have had swollen armpit nodes for years it means that that is the normal way those armpit nodes are in your body (or what you think is "swollen", because what you think is swollen and what is clinically swollen might be VERY different.)

For example, when I was a kid, I was prone to getting a lot of respiratory infections, which made one of my cervical (neck) lymph nodes permanently swollen and calcified. It can be palpated as a rubbery hard 3 cm node on the left side of my neck. I don't have lymphoma or anything like that, lol, I've had this forever. So just calm down and rest assured that this is normal.

scared88
07-02-16, 18:43
In your picture I can't see any swollen tissue, if you mean it because it's bumpy, that's the way that lymphoid tissue looks like in your mouth. If you want I can take a picture of mine, it looks the same, but I think it's a bit unnecessary :D.

Yeah that's what I'm worrying about. The bumps. I can see more of them even further back. So are they not part of the tissue? Cause you say you don't see any swollen tissue.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

I had several blood tests done 4 years ago because of the swollen lymph nodes and saw a hematologist. None of the doctors were worried.

androidz
07-02-16, 19:31
Yeah that's what I'm worrying about. The bumps. I can see more of them even further back. So are they not part of the tissue? Cause you say you don't see any swollen tissue.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

OK, I can't believe I did this, but here goes a picture of my own oral cavity. As you can see all human beings have these bumps. Now you can relax.

Link (http://puu.sh/mZrwk/0959322bc8.png)

scared88
07-02-16, 19:50
OK, I can't believe I did this, but here goes a picture of my own oral cavity. As you can see all human beings have these bumps. Now you can relax.

Link (http://puu.sh/mZr1H/50ddc58556.png)

LOL! Well you didn't necesserily have to do that :P lol But yes that does make me relax a bit. Even though mine are bigger and there are more of them lol

androidz
07-02-16, 19:59
LOL! Well you didn't necesserily have to do that :P lol But yes that does make me relax a bit. Even though mine are bigger and there are more of them lol

Nah they're the same but as you might understand I couldn't take a better picture without dislocating my jaw or shoving my cellphone down my throat, lol.

Hope it helps you see the reality. Just stop worrying and enjoy life :).

countrygirl
07-02-16, 20:09
I have mammoth taste buds lining the side and back of my tongue - much bigger on one side than the other. About 10 years ago I had a slightly sore tongue and looked at it and freaked out and rushed to Dr. He just laughed and said they are your taste buds and everyones are different.

they look just same now- really horrible as they look almost purple:huh:

scared88
27-02-16, 14:46
I got a massive anxiety panic attack this morning cause of this :(

Toots24
27-02-16, 16:06
I have these too mines are pretty big, I only noticed mine since I've had oral thrush from antibiotics that doesn't seem to be shifting, I thought it was ulcers due to the thrush and was worrying about them too. Good to know that everyone else has them
too