PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about eyes, going crazy...

turboswag
08-02-16, 05:58
So for the past few weeks I have been obsessing over my eyes, and I'd like to post a few of my symptoms and see if anyone else has had them/if they were similar

1. Floaters -- I noticed them about a week ago, I've always had them but I have been now over aware of them, looking at bright screens, the sky, and squinting so I can see them better. They look like little "o" shapes all stuck together in strings and blobs and seem to get bigger or smaller, lighter or darker (but are generally clear). They're driving me crazy and I have to force myself to stop looking for them

2. Small pin pricks of light/dark in my vision. These are weird, and I've always had them but the more I worry, the more I see. They're literally tiny, pin pricks of either pure white, or black (like my vision has cut out in that spot). They last for only a second or two and go away when I blink a few times or move my eyes around a bit. They only occur one at a time and I get them in both eyes (though generally I see more in the right eye, which coincidentally, I have been more worried about). Last night I also got a bigger spot which was more like a blotch, it was black like my vision cut out, about the size of a quarter, but lasted for only a split second and I haven't had it since, now just back to the pin pricks.

3. I notice that in pitch blackness, if I move my eyes or "refocus" them I notice a small "flash" of light. I'm worried about retinal detachment but it only happens when it's really dark and when I'm looking for it. I'm wondering if it's because it's so dark my eyes are seeing "light" when I move them? It's in both eyes and really isn't noticeable any other time. It's also very faint, not bright at all, the flash is just slightly lighter.

4. In general, just scared about retinal detachment. I need new glasses so my vision is a bit blurry, and blurry vision = grainy/grey vision which scares me. I know it's just because I need new glasses but I'm obsessively looking for dark shadows, blank spots, floaters, flashers, etc. I had my eyes checked a few weeks ago and everything was fine (I just need a new perscription). However when I got them checked I was not in the least worried about my eyes so none of these symptoms were occurring. Now I'm scared to death that I'm going blind or that my retina will detach, and I'm terrified that my eye doctor missed something.

I'm only 16 years old (female) and I've never had my eyes dilated and checked before. It scares me. Would my eye doctor be able to see if something was wrong with my retina/optic nerve in a regular examination, and therefor have my eyes dilated to check more thoroughly, or would be never know if something was wrong until he dilated them?

Thanks in advance everyone, hopefully I can get this under control!

dizzy daisy
08-02-16, 08:56
Hi turbo wag
I'm currently worried about eyes too. I have the floater- have for years and the pinpricks/ flashes too. Because I get migraine I always freak that this is the start of another, but it rarely is.
Very occasionally when I wake I see like a cobweb type shape in my eye but as soon as I blink it's gone- I wonder if this is dark little floaters?
I'm due an eye test but an frightened to go at the moment because of this.
A regular eye test can see your optical nerve and retina effectively that's why they shine the little torch in there so if you've been tested recently your eye health is fine xxxx

turboswag
08-02-16, 18:29
Thanks Dizzy! I'm going to a new eye doctor on Tuesday so I'm going to ask about the pin pricks and floaters. The floaters sometimes look like a screen of bubbles falling down in my vision, HOWEVER I've noticed that sometimes when I blink they seem to move or go away completely... I wonder if they could be the tears on the actual front of my eyes, possibly dust or particles?? Who knows. I am terrified that they will tell me something is wrong however it's bittersweet because maybe I can finally stop worrying! I recommend you go see your eye doctor as well, we can do this!:hugs:

half-empty
08-02-16, 18:43
i was told if you see a floater you are to look up, then down, then left, then right and blink. don't know if this works though! what optician told my friend who has them often something to do with jelly at the back of the eye and everyone has them its just that the brain can learn to ignore them. i do get your 2nd symptom of bright white specs sometimes