PDA

View Full Version : I have Cleithrophobia

GirlAfraid23
09-02-16, 20:49
It's a phobia of locked doors, specifically for me: toilet doors.
If I'm out and I need to use the bathroom, I will only use it if there's a gap at the top and bottom of the door and the lock is one which slides across (so I can't see it)
I will under no circumstances lock a toilet door with a turning lock (when the lock is hidden from view) or an automatic door, such as the ones you get on trains.
Yet something else to add to my debilitating anxiety. It gets very difficult, especially the other day when I was busting for the toilet, my bladder close to bursting. I just wouldn't use the toilet because of being locked in. In the end, I went in, shut the door and held my hand on it while I was using the loo. Anyone could have walked in!

Does anyone else have this fear? :weep:

GirlAfraid23
10-02-16, 21:36
Anyone else? :(

Catherine S
10-02-16, 21:43
That's me for sure, but I didn't realise it had a name of its own! I always thought it was part of my claustrophobia, which it is as it's a feeling of being trapped but never knew just that one part of it was a condition on its own.

ISB x

KeeKee
10-02-16, 21:44
I don't have a phobia like yourself but I have always been a little scared of train and coach toilet doors.
I prefer doors with space above and below too.

collybobs
21-06-16, 17:37
It sounds a bit like my claustrophobia,have you always had it, or did it develop over a period of time.

MyNameIsTerry
22-06-16, 06:12
It sounds a bit like my claustrophobia,have you always had it, or did it develop over a period of time.

Yeah, they sound similar. Claustrophobia is small spaces though, Cleithrophobia is closed spaces or being locked in enclosed spaces.

Maybe it's just not well known and many people who think they have Claustrophobia really have Cleithrophobia?

collybobs
23-09-16, 00:08
have you tried to get help with this,I have but have found it very difficult to find

Magic
23-09-16, 15:42
I visited a hospital on Wednesday. The toilets :ohmy:. say no more!

I have a radar key. When I am out and about I use the disabled toilet if they are vacant. They are usually very clean and spacious.
I have claustrophobia.
and I, like girl afraid prefer not to be locked in anywhere.