PDA

View Full Version : Does it work?

nomorepanic
19-04-03, 23:45
I had hypnotherapy about 2 years ago to get me on a plane again after not flying for over 5 years. It worked! I then went on to have hypnotherpay for the panic attacks and anxiety. It was a lovely relaxing experience and I would recommend it to anyone, though it can be expensive!

Matt
26-04-03, 01:25
I too have had hypnotherpy and found it to be very usefull!:) But like u say fond that it can be expensive:( But worthwhile if u can afford it!:)

Joanne
01-05-03, 16:48
That sounds like a good idea. Is there a list of registered clinics? Or are they mainly private?

Matt
02-05-03, 09:03
I spent quite a lot of time researching on the web to find one local to me in hampshire and I found a private one. I'm sorry but I cant remember exactly how I did it now as it was a couple of years back. I think there is a register that people that carry out the hypnotherpy have to belong to which covers them with liability insureance etc. I'll have a dig in some stuff at home and see if I can find anything that may be of use to you!

nomorepanic
02-05-03, 13:24
Joanne - I will ask my Hypnotherapist as she must know :-)

Will get back to you soon.

Jenny
09-06-03, 22:40
Hi I havn't been on this sight for some time. I have been busy getting on with my life, after 4 years of panic. Not totally cured, but well on the way. I am having sessions of hypo-anylical therapy,and it seems to be working. It isn't a quick fix but my confidence is coming back, and I am traveling further than I have in a long time. Not been on holiday yet but hoping to this summer, perhaps not abroad but somewhere in this country will be fine for now. It isn't cheap but then if you want your life back I think it is well worth it. I look upon it as an investment in my life, and for my family around me who have been very supportive. I would be intersted to know from those who have had hypnothereapy say for flying or going on holiday again after a long time, if they had just one session or more.
best wishes to you all out there JENNYxx

J. Farmer

nomorepanic
11-06-03, 20:39
All - there is another posting under the Hypnotherapy topic that tells you how to find a qualified Hypnotherapist - hope it helps.

Nicola

nomorepanic
11-06-03, 20:42
Hi Jenny

Good to see you here again :-) Long time no hear.

I needed Hypnotherapy to get me back on a plane again after not having flown for over 5 years. I had three sessions and I did it so it must have helped. I was still pretty terrified but I don't think I would have even attempted it had I not had the Hypnotherapy first.

I just kept repeating her words whilst I was on the flight and it helped me a lot.

I carried on having many more sessions but haven't done for over 18 months now.

I used to enjoy it and found it very relaxing - expensive but worth it.

Take care

Nicola

Lottie32
11-09-03, 20:39
Hi

I have suffered from GAD/panic attacks on and off for the last 20 years.

After an 8 year spell free from symptoms, the last two years have been a nightmare.

My GP has been quite good, and although I refused the diazepan, he did get me on a course of CBT which is proving very useful.

However, I feel I want to "speed things up a bit", and also cure my ridiculous fear of the dentist, and would love to try hypnotherapy.

Has anybody used it in conjuction with CBT, do the two therapies work well together, and also how do you find a good one?

I live in the middle of Derbyshire, and don't want to travel too far. The internet lists about six or seven different organisations alone, and I am confused - who are the governing bodies.

I'm sorry if I've gone on for a long time, but I will be paying for this myself, so want to make sure I don't waste it!

Thank you for reading this - any advice gratefully received.

C L Parkin

nomorepanic
11-09-03, 22:11
Hi Lottie

Welcome aboard :-)

I did CBT about 6 years ago and hypnotherapy 2 years ago so I did not do them together. I cannot see a problem with that however.

As for governing bodies, here is a reply from my Hypnotherapist ....

The National College web-site is www.nrhp.co.uk but they only list full members, for some stupid reason so I always tell people to 'phone up on 01282 699378 as they will get a bigger selection of therapists if they talk to the lady there.

The therapists are well qualified, whether on the site or not, if they have the certificate ( (CHP (NC) ) then they have studied psychotherapy, which is essential if you are working with hypnosis, which as you know brings up stuff from the unconscious - you must know what to do with it !! I wouldn't recommend any other college, but my look at all the prospectuses (Naional Register of Hypnotherapists and Psychotherapists was most definately the best then) was 18 years ago, so all will have hopefully improved over that time. People must be very careful to find a qualified person, but anyone can set up in hypnotherapy as it is still not regulated, much to all true therapist's despair.

Hope this helps lottie.

Nicola

Michaela
02-12-03, 22:01
Hello

I have recently started hypnotherapy for my GAD and had been seeing a counsellor for CBT. My hynpotherapist seems to think that hypno is about a third quicker than CBT but there is no reason you can't do the two together. I think the CBT however made me more restless as I knew I had to think about problems that would leave me with hamster style thoughts that I was unable to get rid of for long periods of time.

I am on hypno sessions number 2 and really felt the benefit from just the first session.

Hope you do too. Best of luck.

Michaela.

Rennie1989
18-01-04, 21:28
I just wanna know what is hypnotherapy. It may help with my PA if i knew what it was.

Jade

Buby
19-01-04, 01:45
hi jade,

hypnotherapy is where someone is talking to you while your eyes are closed and taking you back in your life or taking you to somewhere they tell you to. they make it very imagable so you wont have trouble. they may ask you some questions to answer but they wont do anything like they do on tv like make you run around like a chicken or anything. they talk really softly. i always know when im hypnotized because i can see green waves with my eyes closed and your hands and fingers tingle. people who have had it done to them will know what i mean.

hugs rachel xx

ps. if you didnt undersatnd someone else will explain it better. soz.

mico
19-01-04, 18:01
Hi Jade,

I haven't much experience with hypnotherapy but I have read quite a bit about it, so I'm going to try and explain what I understand it is.

Forget about Paul Mckenna and people like that(Stage hypnotists), that's all pretend, it's a gimmick to make you pull money out of your pockets to go and see him. You do not act things out, run round like a chicken or anything that you see on those shows. That type of hypnotism is for entertainment and nothing more.

If you went to see a hypnotist they would guide you into a relaxed state, that is what they call a hypnotic trance. You see, when you become relaxed your mind becomes more suggestible which means you won't act things out but you may believe what is said more than what you would if not in a trance.

So, from there your hypnotist may use guided imagery, where you can think of a scenario which may be something from your everyday life. These scenarios can guide you into situations that you would normally be afraid of but by using hypnosis they can help you feel more relaxed in these situations. It can allow you to look at it from a more realistic viewpoint.

It's basically making your subconcious mind more suggestible so you can introduce more positive thoughts into you thinking.

There will be many different methods of hypnosis and maybe if someone here is experienced in hypnosis then they will beable to tell you exactly what happens when you go to see a hypnotist.

The above is just a very basic outline of what they can do.

You can also hypnotise yourself! I think Rachel had a post about that, If your interested I would suggest looking at a few books as they can teach you how to do it.

I hope that helps Jade

mico

Laurie28
16-02-04, 15:20
I went to a hypnotist and it helped a little , however I got 'scared of listening to my tapes (don't ask!) and stopped using them!!! i think I will start using them though as I paid a bl===dy fortune for 2 sessions!

Love
lucky

Lottie32
27-02-04, 17:21
I asked about hypnotherapy in the context of treatment for my dental phobia. (Visiting the dentist, not having Fred in the house)

The Community Mental Health Team where I am having counselling weren't very positive about hypno working. They were quite scientific, and said that it doesn't definite scientific proof.

Before I pay the money, does anybody else have further stories - it worked for Nic, but not for Lucky. A 50 / 50 split isn't enough to get me parted from my cash at the minute!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

sarah
27-02-04, 18:07
Hey Charlie

Ive just had my 3rd session on Monday and I have to say im sitting firmly on the fence at the moment. Put it this way, im no better, no worse but only 3 sessions...who knows if its gonna take 4 or 40?(but at 40 quid a session im not having more than 10 at most!!!)
All I can say is its really relaxing and as mine does councelling too, I get to offload all my rubbish on her.
I didnt want to go in the first place but am doing it to please my hubby to show him im 'trying' to help myself..well he's paying so what the heck!!
Im going to see if it will help my panic so thats a pretty major thing to try and 'cure' so who knows?????????

not much help to you but thats my experience so far.....

love Sarah
xx

benoo5
27-02-04, 18:33
charlie,

when i was suffering with PTSD,i had just one session,and refused to go back,even though the nhs was paying!

the hypnotherapist,had a dreadful cold,and as he was talking to me,kept slurping his hot lemsip,i just laid there for 20mins concentrating on his croaky voice!

but thats just my experience,wot works for someone,doesnt mean it will for everyone else,and vice versa.

i also think some people are easier to hypnotise,than others..ime obviously a difficult case lol!

i hope you keep an open mind matey....bryan.

te34resa
29-02-04, 22:05
I had hypnosis a couple of times with a psychologist I was seeing years back and I tried relaxation therapy with a healer too but just ended up lying there feeling silly and not a bit relaxed! I'd love for this to work, especially with my fear of flying. Does it depend on a rapport with the therapist or do some people (like me) just find it really hard, or impossible to switch off?

Lottie32
01-03-04, 12:26
Thanks guys

I think I'll stick with the CBT for a bit longer first.

Glad you aren't feeling any worse Sarah - and it'll be interesting to see how you feel at the end of the sessions. Let me know please. Counselling at the same time sounds like a good idea too. And I know what Bryan means. I'm really funny about voices. I can't listen to a relaxation tape with a narrator who's got an American or Brummie accent (sorry guys, no personal offence meant - but they really get my back up)

It's really tempting when you feel like this to search for a quick, easy, "miracle" cure, spend a fortune, and not really feel much different.

Charlie

Laurie28
01-03-04, 15:10
Hiya Guys,

I went for 2 sessions and i think it was helping me a little but I never gave it long enough. I was supposed to listen to my tape every night but I got scared of the whole process and stopped (what am I like)

I will go back to it though as it has been proven to help!!

Keep it up Sarah and let us know how you go!!

Love
lucky

kate
01-03-04, 15:14
Charlie,

Don't blame you not liking listening to a Brummie accent, it is the pits!!!!

Hmmmm, shall I go for elocution lessons........

Kate x

Lottie32
01-03-04, 16:47
Kate

Some are ok. Sheila and Bryan live in Edgbaston, and they have a bit of a burr, but it's quite endearing. Timothy Spall is quite funny on Auf Wiedersein. And my mate Alan comes from the Birmingham side of Wolverhampton, and his accent isn't too bad.

For the sake of making enemies for life, it's the really strong one that I can't cope with. It makes people sound a bit thick! I once went to a newsagent in Lichfield on the way to see a friend and bought some supplies. I was chatting to the newsagent who told me he had come from Bangladesh, and had learnt English very quickly. His comprehension of the language was very good - I was impressed, particularly as I'm useless at languages, but I had a hell of a job understanding him as he'd learnt his "English" from Brummies and spoke English with a Birmingham accent, with an underlying Bangladeshi lilt!!!! God I felt ignorant.

Charlie

sarah
01-03-04, 17:03
Hiya

I was born in Lichfield and moved down to surrey at an early age. I now have a lovely common south london accent...lol

love Sarah
xx

kate
01-03-04, 17:05
Wow, Charlie,

A Bangladeshi with a Brummie accent! Nightmare!!!

I don't think my accent is too terrible. Don't think I sound quite as thick as some Brummies!!!

Edgbaston is one of the "Posh Bits" of Brum, that's why their accents are a bit more muted!!!!

By the way, I think Timothy Spall's accent is awful!!

Kate x

kd
04-10-04, 09:26
I've got to say that accents are fantastic where ever you live and we should appreciate the vast array of accents, dialects and cultural difference.

tracyp584
06-10-04, 10:41
I really want to have a go at hypnotherapy, but when it comes to it i feel too anxious. Talk about vicious circle!!!

tracy x

Meg
07-10-04, 19:50
What about it having it makes you anxious ?

Meg

tracyp584
07-10-04, 19:57
All of it?! Feeling like i'm not in control? i'm not sure really, but i hate making arrangements for anything. And knowing that the appt is for an hour, just seems like such along time?

I have actually just got off the phone from a hypnotherapist, and am going for a chat with him on weds. ( if i don't cancel in the mean time!)

tracy x x

Meg
07-10-04, 20:40
Good for you Tracy for thinking about going to meet one . thsi meeting si importnat , you have to like the person you choose to work with and ensure he has experience of yoru sort of issues ,

You are in total control , you can walk out at any time , you are fully concious - just relaxed.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Karen
07-10-04, 21:13
Hi Tracy

I am having hypnotherapy at the moment. I just wanted to reassure you that there is nothing to worry about.

As Meg said, you are in complete control the whole time. It is nothing like what they show on tv. You are just in a relaxed state. You are fully aware of everything.

Well done for making the appointment.

Briary

tracyp584
07-10-04, 21:17
Thanks Meg and Briary, I am half looking forward to appt. Also, Briary are you finding the hypnotherapy useful? Any progress?

tracy x x

Karen
07-10-04, 21:27
Hi Tracy

I was really nervous the first time I went but if you find the right person, someone you feel comfortable with it is fine.

I have definitely made progress since I've been seeing my therapist. Finding this forum gave me the encouragement I needed to start seeing someone. I was in a really bad way when I found this site back in July, feeling I had nothing to live for. I have a lot of different issues I am trying to work through so it is taking time but I am working through a lot of things at the moment.

The thing about hypnotherapy is that it isn't just the hypnosis. There is also the therapy side, which I have also found very helpful. It is definitely worth giving it a try.

Briary

tracyp584
15-10-04, 13:25
Hey!
Just wanted to say...finally plucked up the courage to go for a consultation with a hypnotherapist! I am surprised how ok it went, but still feel very apprehensive. Still not convinced that i will be able to relax enough for anything to sink in. But feel better for trying. Had to share this as i am so pleased with myself!!!

tracy x x

Karen
15-10-04, 15:52
Hi Tracy

Well done for going to the appointment, you deserve to feel pleased with yourself.

It is natural to feel a bit apprehensive at first but I am sure you will find it easier to relax after a couple of sessions. It might help to practice some relaxation at home in between appointments.

Briary

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

KW
18-10-04, 12:23
Hi Tracy

Well done for going! Hope it works for you.

Takecare

KW

Meg
18-10-04, 13:13
Hey Tracey,

Well done for going . Have you got a relaxation CD to use between visits for practice ?

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.