PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time again

John87
10-02-16, 13:11
So my panic attacks have stopped which is great, however my health anxiety is another thing altogether!

I keep getting palpitations all the time, I have no idea what is triggering them but I am so so scared all the time.

I keep having two types:

The thud and catch your breath, feels like your heart stopped for a second and then comes back again. Can have just one and then none for ages, then I can have them stay with my constantly for over an hour!

Second type:

Sudden fast heart beat with flutter feeling in my chest. Again same thing, could have just one then could have loads!

I feel so so down!

Can anyone relate??

uru
10-02-16, 13:42
I used to get them a lot at night....I would wake up with them.

John87
10-02-16, 14:34
Hi Urusainaa,

Do you still get them? Did you find out what was causing them? I just want them to stop, it just keeps scaring me!!

Mindknot
10-02-16, 15:57
It sounds like you are still very much in what I would call the 'totally wired' (not the technical term) stage of an anxiety problem. It's great that you've stopped having panic attacks, but nevertheless your panic reaction is still occurring... i.e. your system is still hot with cortisol & all the other hormones that are fired off during panic.

I understand that you are worrying about the palpitations and that you think they are the cause of your anxiety, but they are likely also caused by your anxiety - check the symptoms page. There is also a whole sub-section of the forum on palpitations so look there too...
But, my best advice to you right now is to start trying to think about how you are going to stop feeding that anxiety cycle for long enough that your system can 'cool down' and you will find that your anxious reaction naturally stops.

Take things a little at a time, go to the doctor if necessary and get checked out, think about medication and getting therapy. I also find deep breathing exercises incredibly helpful with palps - but they can take practise...

Also start noting down all the little things that bother you or stress you and see if you can fix them. But, most of all I would recommend that you do research on anxiety - everyone here has had problems with it so talk to the forum, there are also countless resources out there on the internet and in books. Basically, at this point, be pro-active in doing something about anxiety for yourself, and you'll start to feel better all round - but it's a marathon not a sprint, so give yourself time to figure this all out. HTH :)

Catherine S
10-02-16, 16:58
Chris, I suffer with the 'missed beats' and flutters, have done for many years to be honest. They used to absolutely floor me but after all the years living with them and all the negative tests, I've learned to accept them. They are really common...my doc suffers with them too and he and I both take a beta blocker called Bisoprolol which really helps control them. There are numerous theories about why some people are more aware of them than others, but nobody really knows exactly why they happen, except for those of us who do get them it just means our hearts are more sensitive to stimulation from things we've maybe eaten or drunk and from adrenaline. ..whether that be from good stress or bad, the heart doesn' t distinguish between the two and reacts the same with all extreme emotion.

If you've been told there is nothing bad happening but the flutters are really bothersome, it might be worth talking to your doctor about beta blockers.

ISB :)

glassgirlw
10-02-16, 17:22
It may be worth noting too that I used to get these all the time. As soon as I cut caffeine out of my diet completely, they have stopped. I can't tell you the last time I had one.

John87
11-02-16, 14:25
Thanks for your messages guys!

I have cut the caffeine out for a while now, was a culprit of drinking coke a bit! Only thing I have now and again is chocolate and not that much of it.

I have been to town today and got some Magnesium supplement, as this was recommended to see if it helps with the palpitations. Taken some over lunch about 2 hours ago and hoping this helps, will wait and see as it takes a couple of days for it to kick in. Still getting low level palps at the moment but seem to be calming down. I am also so so tired but guessing they just wiped me out a bit over the last few days!

I am really hoping that the Magnesium does the trick and helps me :huh: