PDA

View Full Version : new job and handing in notice - fresh anxiety!

white1989
10-02-16, 15:46
hey guys, I've recently interviewed for a new job which is the job of my dreams and I've found out today that I've got it - I couldn't be happier (in light of all my recent symptoms its really a bit of good news I'm in need of!) However, I'm now really panicking at the thought of handing my notice in with my current employer. I work for a very small company with no more than 6 employees, and my role in the company is very important because it is so small. I feel sick and shakey at just the thought of going into my manager's office with the resignation letter. I've been very unhappy here for a while, I work in a predominantly male environment and the male managers are extremely sexist and inappropriate, making me very uncomfortable here for a number of months. I feel guilty because my managers wife is due to have a baby next month and I feel like they'll need to fill my position asap which could be a struggle. I know I REALLY shouldn't feel guilty about this as they have been really unpleasant to work for, but I just always feel bad about letting people down. I know my manager will probably make me feel really guilty, and like I've messed them around (I haven't) and make me feel like I'm really stupid for leaving and taking a job which he will probably deem as a terrible career choice compared to what his company has to offer (all he cares about is making money).

Can anyone advise on how to feel less anxious about this, or how to go about it? I feel so sick at the thought of it and I'm so scared about the reaction I will get from colleagues.

many thanks x

Mike_NY
10-02-16, 16:03
Listen, people move on, that's how business works and they'll just have to deal with it. Congrats on finding the job of your dreams! Upwards and onwards!

Chocolateface
10-02-16, 18:49
Congrats on the job I hope you will be happy there, you may feel guilty but that is because you care about your current job. Don't let them make you feel bad, write a positive letter telling them you have enjoyed the time there and will be sad to leave but the new opportunity is what you want etc. Good luck

Clare

white1989
11-02-16, 11:29
thanks guys, I did it this morning and now I don't know what I was worried about. my manager couldn't have been nicer and wished me all the best in my new job. phew! :)