PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, quick!

Gregor
28-02-07, 10:00
Hi,

I was doing really well until the other day. Then i had quite a big anxiety attack - i think that's what it was, i became really dizzy. That took about 2 hours to get over. The two days since then i've been feeling pretty lightheaded all the time and keep having to lie down. Now, i remember what that's all about as i went through that very severely before and i really don't want to continue down this road. I'm scared that if i don't stop it now it will become too difficult to get out of.

My question is this: what type of therapy should i be having? in my 4 years or so of anxiety i've never really had a therapist of any sort. I was on a waiting list for 3 years at first, then i moved house and obviously lost my place. My new GP has promised i'll be seeing someone soon, but the appointed Psychotherapist (or whatever) hasn't arrived at the surgery yet! i've been waiting about 4 months for that so far.

I've heard that CBT is one of the best treatments, but there's none at all in this area. The nearest is Cardiff - about an hour and a half away, which is much too much travelling for me. Is there anything else? or anything you can suggest regarding the CBT?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Gregor

Piglet
28-02-07, 10:49
Gregor while you are waiting for help from your doctor what other things might you have tried??

Have you read any self help books, as we have a good list of recommended books and I think most of us rate Claire Weekes 'Self help for your nerves' as a good starting point!!

Have you tried any complimentary therapies - I am just about to take my reflexology exams and that is a lovely therapy for lowering general stress levels.

Exercise is another brilliant thing to work into your day - either with a good walk or maybe yoga. I love yoga for pulling the tension/anxiety out of my muscles.

Relaxation cd's - ever tried any of those????

Piglet :)

skylight2007
28-02-07, 11:36
Hiya there , sorry to hear your not feeling too good, CBt is the recommended therapy and it sometimes people do need to wait for some time, just a few suggestions, some you may have tried already just to calm your self, this may not work for you but writing down you thoughts and feelings can help, and changing those negative thoughts into something positive, hard I know when feeling stressed, for example you could say ' I am safe and calm', and whilst saying these few words, slow your breathing down, calm thoughts means slower breaths!!!!! ever noticed when we feel stressed or feel as if a panic or anxiety is going to happen how our breathing changes, often it gets slightly faster, so the worries and negative thoughts makes our breathing go faster, So a positive affirmation , slower breaths, will often help, practice this as often as you like , the key is to keep practising the positive , its hard I understand, but one of the ways to changing negative thought patterns is to do the opposite and remain consistent!!! Hope this helps, take care!!!

Skylight

Gregor
05-03-07, 13:32
Hi,

thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for not replying sooner - i haven't been online that much lately because looking at the computer screen for too long makes my anxiety worse for some reason.

I'm definitely thinking about CBT, i've contacted a few therapists even if they are a little further than i'd like. I'm also taking a look at the website www.livinglifetothefull.com (http://www.livinglifetothefull.com) which has some exercises based on CBT, so hopefully that'll help.

Gregor

Paddington
05-03-07, 13:40
Hi Gregor,glad to see you are staying positive.Haven't got much to add to what the others have said ..but ..i did find the Paul mkenna cd's a god send.He is a cbt therapist also and his anti stress cd worked for me on a certain level,do try it while you wait for treatment.I have never had formal help either ,just ,the cd,aromathery ,reiki etc[you could do that too,get your1st degree reiki and heal yourself!!]and of course this wonderful forum,which has been invaluable to my road to recovery.Good luck!.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Evie
06-03-07, 22:00
Hi Gregor

Try putting your hands above your head and stretching up really high - no, really stretch - it sounds silly but it's almost impossible to concentrate on that and have a panic attack at the same time. Besides which, it'll stretch out your body and stop that awful, knotted up tight feeling that so often accompanies the rapid breathing. While your arms are up there, take a slow, controlled breath, letting your stomach push out as far as it can to accommodate the breath. Turn your hands so that they are back-to-back and slowly bring your arms back down to your sides. Slowly exhale through gently pursed lips as you do this, but keep your ribcage up if you can. This helps to develop both a healthy diaphragm and a good, strong breathing habit which will help fend off any fresh attacks by maintaining a steady stream of oxygen to your brain and your muscles. That'll stop you feeling fluttery and light headed and you'll feel tremendously empowered when you begin to feel it work. I learnt these as part of my singing lessons and have used them successfully ever since.