PDA

View Full Version : alcohol withdrawal

Mysupersecretalias
10-02-16, 17:33
Hi, this is my first post so here goes. I realised I am an alcoholic and tried to get sober last year because firstly, it's ruining my life and secondly it gives me the most unbelievable anxiety when I'm coming off it. At first I only used to get anxiety when I was hungover but now it's practically every day. I managed to go just under 5 months completely sober before having a couple of minor relapses but last night I just fell completely off the wagon. Today has been hell. I'm a nervous twitchy wreck. My heart rate has been about 100-120 all day, i'm getting pins and needles in my hands feet and face and I don't feel like I can hold onto the air in my lungs if that makes sense. I just feel detached from my body. Any tips on coping with this and my day to day anxiety would be greatly appreciated. Tips on staying sober will get you a bonus point :) thanks in advance.

Pepperpot
10-02-16, 19:54
Ok so you gave in and had a drink (or several). Don't beat yourself up about it for a start, as that will make you 3000 times worse. Today is a new day xx

Catherine S
10-02-16, 20:17
For me it was learning to cope with stress without the crutch. Fifteen years ago it was giving up smoking which took 3 attempts. With alcohol I gave up and started again a few times over the last few years, but for me in the end, the hangovers weren't worth it any more. I don't even know if I would have been classed as an alcoholic as I only drank in the evenings, but it was every evening and I could get through a litre of vodka in 4 of them. The hangovers became normal life, but I knew it had to change, and it finally thankfully has.

You'very done incredibly well so don't feel bad about what happened, we're human with faults and failings and live with our anxiety every day. We are the bravest people we know. So get through the hangover, which is why you feel so crappy...and it might take a few days as you probably already know...brush yourself down and just keep on going. Never give up giving up.

If your day to day anxiety is because of alcohol withdrawal after giving up, we're you not given any meds to help you cope with it?

ISB x

Mysupersecretalias
10-02-16, 21:09
Thank you for the encouragement, sincerely :) it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's dealing with this. It's hard not to beat myself up though, in the time I was sober things got so much better for me but now it feels like, what's the point yknow? I still believe do you drink at all now? If not how do you cope with your anxiety? Xx

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Oh and no, they offered me anti depressants but I know what I'm like and I'll just end up abusing those. I'm on the list for CBT but don't know how long I'll be waiting for it

Elen
10-02-16, 21:15
I would go to your GP and tell them the issue with both the anxiety and the alcohol.

England tends to have really good guidelines when it comes to dealing with substance abuse and counselling should be part of the package offered.

The best way to stay sober is to find a different coping mechanism, it makes it all so much easier.

tbh I am not sure that it is possible to abuse anti depressants, that is more likely to be a problem with sedatives but again your GP should be able to advise.

I truly believe that a two pronged attack is the best way to get sober and also stay sober.

Catherine S
10-02-16, 21:27
I had trouble sleeping for a few weeks and got a tight tense feeling in my stomach without my evening alcohol, but fortunately for me I was already taking a beta blocker for a few years so this really helped with any extreme anxiety I might have had due to withdrawal. I can drink occasionally but only if I'm out having a meal which isn't that often, and then I stick to a glass or two of red wine, which helps because it's not vodka if that makes any sense? I've made a concious effort not to have it in the flat. I miss it loads, it was my evening companion for many years but I have to remind myself that the days lost through hangovers are not worth going back to, and that gets me past the alcohol aisle in Sainsburys.

And don't laugh but I've discovered that Cadburys hot choc helps me sleep, winter only of course!

Mysupersecretalias
10-02-16, 21:50
Yeah I'm really gonna struggle to sleep tonight :-/ I might actually try having a hot chocolate, it can't hurt can it :) I really don't think I should drink at all, I can't trust myself to just have a glass of wine. All rational thinking goes out the window as soon as I start. The problem is that alcohol is so supremely effective and reliable at getting rid of my anxiety, it never fails. I need to find some other way of coping without it. I'm hoping the CBT will help, have you ever had it?

Catherine S
10-02-16, 22:00
No I've never had any kind of therapy, but I know from the forum that it can really help. Fortunately the beta blockers help so I've got through the worst of it, but i'll always struggle to stay away from vodka...wine I can control because it makes me ill if I have more than 2 glasses strangely, but vodka with a mixer I could drink all night.